This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evenin n’alln’all
    Didnt get to the fish chip place in the end. Clearly somewhere to go next time we’re over. Doesn’t mean they will be yummy quality but I like the idea of historical cooking. Wow Flo….see- how amazing is that!

It’s been amazingly warm in Yorkshire today. We were sat outside a pub in their garden at 4pm and it was 23C. Bonkers. Lovely, but bonkers.

This morning I called in at Wilco - 70% off closing down sale. I thought they’d all already closed ! Picked up a lovely bird feeder for £1 and seeds for 9p a packet.
    Really very happy for the bargains but I felt a mixture of sadness and anger at their closing. The staff were their usual helpful friendly
    selves and I thanked them for their hard work over the years. It was quite touching .

Looks like we’re in for a gardening day tomorrow- hedge cutting, weeding, lawn cutting…seed collecting…looking forward to it tbh!
    Nice to finish the day off with a bbq in this weather.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Evening, it sounds like you’ve had a good day Nicos. It’s been warm here again not needed a coat at all.

Flo your Grandma’s chippy reminds me of the one from my childhood, we’d ask for a paper of batter bits we were never sent away empty handed. Mum would send us around the back of the house to buy wet fish that she could cook in milk. I remember not liking fish cooked that way, I do like it now though.

Last edited by Bren In Pots; 07-10-2023, 05:39 PM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Evening, we've had a months rain today and we are cut off by flood water apparently, not that we were going out in this, due to dry up later tomorrow then the sun comes out for a few days. Seven feet of flood water in our local river, in places it's over a mile wide rather than the normal thirty feet.

Comment

• Good grief, burnie. That sounds terrible. Stay safe and dry. Hope your neighbours, pets and any farm animals are OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Good grief, burnie. That sounds terrible. Stay safe and dry. Hope your neighbours, pets and any farm animals are OK.
            We are fairly used to this, one of the reasons why I'm 80 feet above the level of the river, just in case, though it can draughty when we get a storm come off the North Sea, we can hear the roar of the surf which is a mile away in our conservatory.

Comment

• Morning, hope the levels soon come down Burnie it can't be good being cut of.

Comment

• Good Morning All Cloudy again here but sun yesterday so there's a chance today. Hope you're ok burnie, sounds as though you're used to it. Have a lovely Sunday
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning all.

Cool start to the day but still much warmer at night than we'd expect at this time of year. Low of 9 ºC.

Thanks for the info about coal-fired chippies, Flo. I had no idea. And after Nicos had mentioned woodfire, I thought maybe BBQ. Controlling a coal-fired deep-fat fryer must have been an art. I guess after a while it must become second nature, but not easy at the start. Me, I'd be terrified of a fire. I once saw a house burn down when I was a child. Never done proper deep-fat frying in my life. Total coward, I know.

Busy day today but still no gardening. There's always tomorrow. Sooner or later, I'll stop saying that and actually do it.

Have a great day, everyone.
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 08-10-2023, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Good morning, heavy rain when I got up, but stopped just now, the ground looks a bit waterlogged, so doubt if I can use the excuse of going out to the garden, two days in a trot I have been scuppered, once we come back home from church, I have a sneaking feeling I will be asked to hoover and dust upstairs, no one goes upstairs, apart from me and I never see any carpets that need hoovering nor dust that needs to be moved about, how OH who can't go upstairs, thinks it need cleaned beats me, I think she just wants me to be doing some housework right need to go and get ready for church, keep safe if in a high rainfall area and enjoy the garden if you can
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Mornin n;D
                      Oh my goodness Burnie - take care, and as Snoop mentions - those poor farmers with their animals and crops…and wildlife losing their homes onto of those flooded homes belonging to people.

It’s a gardening day for me - it makes a lovely change to get your hands on an unfamiliar bit of garden doesn’t it?

Enjoy your day peeps…
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• It's still raining so not ventured out yet, seemingly we can now get to Arbroath on the back road near Auchmithie, but we still cannot get north to Montrose it seems, no plans to go anywhere we knew it was coming so stocked up on milk and things and the boss has made a big pan of soup. There are some houses over the road low down that have flooded in the past, no idea if it has happened again.

Comment

• Good afternoon. Where has the morning gone again?

Mr GF is really happy as I just video called his daughter for him, she lives abroad. He still really can't believe that it's even possible. Even better when it doesn't cost anything.

Burnie it sounds as if you were well prepared. I hope the floods go down soon.

It's quite pleasant here at the moment and I'm hoping my washing might dry outdoors today.

Off to make some lunch now and zap some breadcrumbs to coat the chicken in later.

Comment

• Prevening It's been sunny and warm all day. I've managed to plant up two of the trugs with tulips and I've planted viola on top - very pleased with the results. Two more to do, so more plants to buy! I'll be trying them from seed next year
                            Chester has flaked out on his bed. He's been pottering about with me all afternoon so he's exhausted!
                            Have a good evening
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Evening we’ve been in the garden pottering around as well Flo, got lots done but not that much to show for it.

enjoy your evening

Comment

• Good evening, the rain actually stopped for a time so I went out to the but where I painted a shelf I am making, it actually felt a bit warmer and on checking the temperature was up to 15c, unfortunately the rain started again, so no chance of outside work, haven't been feeling 100%, caused I think with me getting my covid and flu jags, which I got yesterday, I feel a wee bit washed out, hopefully back to normal tomorrow. Wishing you all a good evening, enjoy the good weather if you are lucky enough to have it
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X