X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin n’alln’all

You lot have got me looking up the Vitamin B group! Always useful
    We automatically are prescribed Vitamin D here during winter months.
    I found it funny at first as the reason was that we don’t get much sunshine. Well, do get a humungous amount more compared to when we lived in the north of England! I suppose they are comparing us to the amount of sun they get in the south of France?
    The french medical approach is ‘prevention is better than cure’
    Thank goodness we GYO peeps eat such a varied diet and spend a lot of time outdoors. That has to make a difference eh?

I’ve got a bit more Domestic Goddess things to do today then hopefully time in the garden.
    Enjoy your day peeps
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      Morning all.

Good luck with your homemade compost, rary. Hope it works out. Do you think you'll be able to use it with your soil blockers?
      No Snoop I tried it but think I have too much gravel in it (frome the burn sand, thats river gravel, just incase you are not familiar with its correct name😁😁) I am now using the same mix for my baskets, though I am placing some sponge on the bottom, as with the sand added it might drain out too quickly
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoon, busy today as its sunny I am getting some soil sterilised, and once finished with that I will mix it with sand and compost to get it ready for making up my baskets, which I will do when it's raining, have also put courgettes out to harden off, I have noticed some Ash tree leaves out, so hopefully there will be no more frost, when mentioning leaves, I passed some beech trees, last week, a nice fresh green leaf, this week a lovely pale red which of course will darken down to a purpley red with the sun on them, with all the trees pushing out their leaves the spring colours are as good as the autumn ones, well to me anyway😊 right coffee finished, going back out to get more gardening done, catch you latter 🙂🙂
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Morning

We're forecast sunshine and 15c today so it looks like a good day to be out and about.

Rary I make my own planting compost for containers, a mix of leaf mould, dalek compost and spent compost, sand, soil and BFB but never got around to sterilising the soil. So was wondering does it make a difference with like having less weeds or am I missing something.

Enjoy your day

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning Bren, the soil that I use comes from an open field surrounded by bings and an old brick works, so the potential for bringing in unwanted weed seeds is high, it's the same with the burn sand as the area I collect it from is now surrounded with himalayan balsam mares tail etc. so most important that that gets sterilised, the sterilising of soil and sand is not so important for the baskets but more for after the basket use as all my baskets nowadays get tempted into a bin for general use next year, which can be baskets or potting on flower and veg for the garden
            But the main reason I sterilise both soil and sand is that I can do it for free and that's a price I can afford 😁😁😋

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
              Light drizzle after a night of rain. At least that kept potential frosts away!

Lots of Domestic Goddess ‘stuff’ today then out in the camper.

I like the sound of your compost Bren….what sort of mix ratio do you use?….about equal?

We lost an aged chook last night. Always sad when they go….At least the three newbies have settled in - two of which have just started laying!

Whats everyone up to this weekend?

Comment

• Good morning, overnight temperatures in the greenhouse last night was down at 7°c that's the lowest it has been for over a week, fortunately I had the fan on and outside plants covered, now the sun is out and looks like it's going to be a nice day, so some housework to be done then the garden, not that I will be doing much, but saves OH sitting saying, what if we(me) do this or that, which always involves me doing something in the house. Have a good day and enjoy whatever you do and remember to pass on your smiles😀😀😀

Comment

• Morning Nicos and rary, morning all.

Mr Snoop's friend is leaving today. Phew, phew, phew. But I tell you what, I've learned an important lesson. No point sitting around feeling sorry for myself over no rain and the billion other reasons I could think about if I put my mind to it. Much better not to dwell on things I can't change but just get on and do stuff I can. Sorry if I've been a moaning Minnie these last few weeks. Mood also much improved by bending a few people to my will in the last day or so.

So, on the cards for today. First off, down the valley with the dogs to see the neighbour and deliver bread and swap for eggs. That's enough to cheer anyone up. Then a bit more strimming and garden preparation for when this cold spell is over. Unfortunately, looks like the cold nights are going to go on for at least another week and my courgette plants are distinctly pot-bound now, so better start a few more off in case they don't get going properly once in the ground. After that, a bit of paid work, possibly a nap. And then a nice supper with my husband. What a grand day.

Oh, we have an ancient almond tree, now one of the many trees that have not survived the dry conditions. We keep talking about removing it, as it is quite a depressing sight. But every now and then, it's used as a perch by birds and we give it a reprieve. Yesterday, two bee eaters used it as a landing post, one a youngster with an adult keeping a watchful eye on it. Rare to see them still for so long. Gorgeous. And the youngster was singing away too. They have a lovely call.

So, on with the show. Have a great day everyone. Have a good time away in the camper, Nicos.
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 13-05-2023, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Rary I see now why you need to sterilise soil/sand, Himalayan balsam is something you want to avoid we've got it spreading along the riverbanks here

Nicos no measurements I just haphazardly throw it in a trug and give it a mix, it seems to work out fine. Enjoy your camper break.

Snoop we all have a moan about the weather its something we do, but yours is a country wide long term drought that effects everyone. So please don't feel bad about mentioning the lack of rain the chat threads here to talk about anything and everything.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.
                      A misty morni g but its beginning to lift.
                      No claims on my time today so I will spend a good part of the day in the garden.

Snoop, feel free tp moan, you have cause if you have no rain for your plants.

Nicos, enjoy your camper trip.

Rary, some good tips there for soil sterilising.

Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I have an elderflower tree like that Snoop - well, not drought killed but has been slowly dying for the past 5 years. We decided to leave it for the insects etc, and although chunks drop off from time to time it’s good to see birds perching on it.
                        Are there any climbers you could train up yours?
                        Not sure what might be able to cope with drought, but enriching the soil and mulching around it might kelp a tad? It’s not just the drought though is it?….max and min extremes of temperatures need to be taken into consideration too. Not an easy one to find I imagine.

Comment

• Good Morning All A bit cloudy but sun trying to break through so I'm risking some washing.
                          Snoop - you're not a moaner, and it makes us appreciate the British weather!
                          Himself is learning how to navigate the tinternet, but it makes the coffee slow in coming.
                          I'm not a Eurovision fan, so will not be watching, but it will be interesting to see who wins. Rylan seems to be everywhere, he's even popped into Ambridge!
                          Have a good day All
                          ​​​​​
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Happy Wedding anniversary Flo - enjoy your day xx

Comment

• Thanks Nicos! 51 years today and yes rary, I was a child bride
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Congratulations Flo and Mr Fennel. Hope you have a lovely day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X