This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

Bren, NIcos's double gas bottle trick is a good one. We're proposing to do the same eventually. Kitchen still to be sorted, so lots of things not in place yet. The gas fridge is very power hungry, but our other gas appliances are miserly. I reckon between the gas hob and gas oven, we use at most 40 euros' worth of gas during the late spring, summer and early autumn (rest of the year, the woodburning range takes the strain). And that's with me doing a lot of baking. I had a look at inverter fridges yesterday to replace the gas fridge. I reckon I can talk Mr Snoop into buying one in the January sales. It's not just the cost of the gas but also the hassle of handling the bottles. I'm sure he'd be glad not to have to heave-ho them in and out of the car when we need replacements (no home delivery out in the sticks).

Really hot and still night last night. My basement hideaway has started the day at 24 ºC when normally it would be 21 even after all the hot weather we've been having. Our friend up the valley is struggling. HIs downstairs room is 30 ºC, upstairs where he sleeps is even worse. I don't think I could cope with that. We don't have shutters, NIcos, but we have next to no windows and those we do have are quite small with an overhanging eave.

Your mention of your rolling pin, bramble, has reminded me: how are you getting on with your steel rolling pin, mothhawk?

Absolutely masses to do today, so better shake a leg, in fact both legs there's so much.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good Morning All and Happy Friday Muggy here. See you later
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Morning

Nicos a friend lives in a stone cottage a few doors down and her house is always cooler than ours, we make due with closing the curtains on the south side, luckily we don't get the temperature extremes you and Snoop get. Not sure how you cope.

Bramble did any of your Tupperware go sticky? I've had a couple of that got relegated to the shed.

Gardening and shopping this morning then we've got a thunderstorm predicted after lunch.

Enjoy your day.
        No Bren, never had a problem with them getting sticky and they have been in use since I bought them.
        I cant remember when but it must be back in the 70's.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good morning all. Sunny but a bit cooler here with rain forecast for this afternoon.
          I must go into town this morning as zi have a lot of bits and pieces to pick up.
          Some gardening g this afternoon if the weather holds up
          Have a good day all.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            Morning all. The air has a dusty, harvest smell to it this morning.

Yes, Rary, I must check on the glasses, they could well be getting on for a century old.

I spent a lot of yesterday cleaning up my grandpa's old first aid box, a big wooden thing I believe he made, and used at work (he was carpenter foreman and first aider at a quarry). It lives in the glory hole, is no use whatever, but I can't bear to part with it. I've emptied out the musty old bandages, 2 linen slings, an opened box of lint, old plasters, and a tin of vaseline. There used to be a glass stoppered bottle of iodine, but that's long gone.

The box smells sweet and is clean and polished now, I just have to find another use for it so I can legitimately keep it. :
            Two points from above, if the glasses are almost a century old, surely some of the ladies on here should be able to help, someone is bound the have a glass of christening present of that vintage and as it would be bought as new they will know the price of it
            As for the box, you must keep that, not for what it contained, but what it contains, cherished memories. there are no emojis that can show how precious those are
            Last edited by rary; 25-08-2023, 01:07 PM.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoon, we are having heavy showers today, so no gardening work getting done, as it was raining when we got out of bed this morning it was decided that we would go out, I had nothing to do with the decision making🙄 I just do as I am told😏 Anyway after seeing the nurse this morning about the finger, which I am happy to say is clearing up well, we headed to the GC where we had lunch, OH said she needed to get out after spending a fair bit of time at the hospital, the nurses(3 different nurses) had a big problem trying to get a blood sample, after five goes the gave up and told her to drink some fluid then she would see the anesthetist, who would hopefully be able to get a blood sample, they were quite apologetic about it, I told them, try getting money out of her, then they would know what difficult was) anyway we waited for the anestatist who as luck would have it was attending to an emergency, with the intake of fluid and time she managed to get a sample, but I was most impressed by the information that was given about the procedure and the questions and tests that were carried out, when I got my legs done it was nothing like that, I think I was very fortunate with having an excellent surgeon whom I had got to know over the years with the problems with my knees, anyway with OH everything is fine for her to have an operation, which could be sometime in the next three months, though she did tell them she would be willing to take a cancellation so we will wait and see, now going up to see our youngest grandson as its his birthday today
              Enjoy the rest of your day and smile ​​​​​​
              Last edited by rary; 25-08-2023, 01:41 PM.
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Afternoon

Bramble I’ve done a search and it seems Baking soda (. (Bicarb of soda) gets rid of the stickiness. I’ll have to give it a go.
                We’ve got dark clouds, the forecast is either rain or a thunderstorm.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Things didn't go exactly as planned this morning. Just after I had left home to go and drop off banana loaves, buy fruit and get Mr GF a newspaper I saw Mr GF's friend on his mobility scooter in the distance heading away from his house. Therefore I went for a newspaper and then called at a local shop for fruit. They had some gorgeous looking strawberries so I bought a pack for us and a pack to take as a present for my brother in law too. When I got to his flat with his banana loaf and strawberries he wasn't too good. Evidently while out yesterday with his rollator one of his legs had given way. Fortunately a passing good Samaritan had put him and his rollator in his van and taken him home, made him a cup of tea and made sure he was okay. He evidently did actually have his mobile phone with him...but never told me. I think I'll try and call round a bit more often.....without being too bossy (difficult) or invasive as I know he hated it when his older sister used to try and "organise" him.

I think I'll make some tartare sauce now so it's got time to chill.
                  Last edited by greenishfing; 25-08-2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    Afternoon

Bramble I’ve done a search and it seems Baking soda (. (Bicarb of soda) gets rid of the stickiness. I’ll have to give it a go.
                    We’ve got dark clouds, the forecast is either rain or a thunderstorm.
                    Well, fingers crossed that's a solution for me too! Thanks, Bren. I bought some tart circles and the labels on the inside of the circles have left glue that has thus far proved utterly impossible to remove.

What a fantastic group this is!

Glad everything went well at the hospital, rary.

Comment

• Afternoon All Glad to hear your Better Half's pre-op went well rary Cloudy still here. I've just made some burgers for the freezer. Why are they called hamburgers when they're beef, not pork? American influence I suppose!
                      Looks like a squirrel has been digging up the dwarf beans I sowed in a tub a couple of days ago, so I've put some chicken wire on top now. Might be too late, but we'll see.
                      What kindness from a stranger GF
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good night all.
                        Whst a change in the weather.
                        It was a lovely sunny morning while I was in town.
                        After lunch I headed out to the garden.
                        Well dark sky and then thunder and lightening with very heavy rain.
                        Spent the evening ironing.
                        Hopefully better weather tomorrow.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                          No rain here bramble but we do have Tupperware skies! And it looks set for the day.

Lots of work on the cards today.It’ll be good to get at least some of the ironing out of the way….again!

Apart from that, no real plans for the weekend. We’ve not sat out with our fire pit in the dark for months so I’m hoping we can at least manage that soon.

We have cows still in the back field. They’re all mooing as if something is wrong- I’ve had a look and the headcount looks fine. How strange.

Enjoy your day peeps…whatever you get up to. Those pesky smiles were chasing falling leaves earlier.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

I'm not surprised the smiles were frisky this morning, Nicos. I woke them up with a start. "Rain!", I said rather loudly to Mr Snoop, who was trying to pretend he was still asleep and thus couldn't be called upon to make the morning cup fo tea. But it was a false alarm. Five drops fell from a cloud and that was it. Looks like it's all we're going to get too.

Managed to get a lot done yesterday, but plenty more still to go. Not sure what the evening holds, though. Could be out to a local restaurant for live music and food or up the valley for supper. Either way, no cooking for me except maybe bread, which I still haven't made despite saying I will for the last few days.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

It looks like our Hedgehog is back I hope he's hungry for slugs
                              It's same weather as yesterday sunny/fine in the morning with afternoon rain due, I'll send you some rain over Snoop.

enjoy your day.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning, a nice sunny start today with blue sky's and high cloud so hopefully will stay fine, just sitting drinking a cup of tea and looking out at the garden, I think I will clear out the flower bed, especially cleaning out a lot of the crocosmia, and set it up with a bed of lilies, a bed of alstomeria and a bed of phlox, which all of course will also be planted with annuals, so that's my next project once I ger the veg beds sorted out, also while sitting here I am watching the birds at the feeder and wondering how much the no dig gardening that a lot of us practice nowadays affects the birds in years gone by there was always birds going over the garden feeding on the pests once it was turned over, strange how doing one thing can effect others, I suppose I better, stop thinking on this as OH says I will get a headache, as I am not used to thinking​​​​​​. Flo you mentioned American influences yesterday, some that I don't like is ladybugs in place of ladybird and diaper instead of nappy, Ay well language changes
                                Have a good day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X