Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there Sim..sounds painful Hope you recover quickly and manage to at least visit and potter in your garden soon.

Too hot and bothered to carry on ironing…so I went and picked some of my wild blackberries from my hedge. Got even more hot and bothered out there so I’ve come back indoors to cool down! I’ve just microwaved a bowlful and going to mash them and use the liquid to cook today’s windfalls in. Yum! Brambles taste so much more mellow than my domestic variety I have in the garden.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Afternoon

Good to see you back Sim, hopefully your garden isn’t to overgrown. Take care.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thank you for all your warm wishes! Once I can walk a bit better I'm hoping I can do a bit of tidying up.

Nicos, we have blackberries here on the farm and they are big and very early this year. Also, has anyone noticed the trees turning earlier too?

Comment

• All but my Acer have green leaves Sim. I envy all of you who have blackberries within walking distance. I've just cleared annual bedding from the veg trugs. I'll miss the cheerful flowers. I had tulips in them last spring, but I think this time I'll sow some CACA until Autumn and then decide between onions and garlic or flowering bulbs. I do miss growing veg!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good afternoon, dull but dry just now, have been busy with some tidying up (better saying that than, busy doing housework​​​​​​) then fitting new seals to the shower, something you would think would be finished in half an hour, but no it took a couple of hours, unbelievable how one finger out of commission can make things so difficult, anyway got that finished then I was out to the garden, I actually wore gloves today, a thing I rarely do but need to try and keep my dressing clean. Thanks for the kind thought about my finger, was at the nurse yesterday, she checked the finger out and was a bit apprehensive of the wound as she said the tendon runs up there, so possibly just as well I hadn't opened the finger up to remove the bit of wood in it, she got the doc. in to check it and he recons it will be pushed out naturally, but did give me a course of antibiotics, the nurse wants to see me again on Friday, not sure if it's to check the injury or to rub salt on the wound, after attending to the wound and dressing it, she said, did I not see you two or three months ago, with something connected to scissors or something, I told her it was secateurs that had slipped out my hand and stuck in my foot, she replied, ah yes all that blood everywhere, you must be a bit accident prone, that's all my OH would need to hear, she would try and keep me in the house if hearing that, however I will get my own back on her (and before anyone thinks I am serious it was just a bit of
            ​​​​​​fun between us, she couldn't have been any kinder to me, though I will need to get my own back 😁)
            Yes Sim the trees are starting to change, when out with my grandsons the other day I did pass remarks on the trees changing, which in mid August is quite early, just hope it's not going to be a long winter
            Enjoy your evening folks and keep smiling
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Sim I’ve got a blackberry behind the shed it’s producing lovely fat berries about a handful a day but there’s plenty of time for the rest to ripen.
              Our Silver Birch is dropping seeds so it won’t be that long before the leaves start turning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                MH I’ve got one of those Tupperware cake boxes it’s around 12” tall and is perfect for proving dough. The lid keeps the heat in and the flies out.
                That's a brilliant idea, Bren! One of mine is 12" tall too. I never thought of using it for bread but I will definitely keep it now and put it to good use. Some people are so good at thinking outside the box, but I'm hopeless at it. Not an original idea in my head.

Nicos, I don't want a mug tree, it's more clutter. I'm trying to minimise stuff, not buy more! I've squeezed them in with the glasses in the sideboard, and yes, I need to have everything out of there and thin it all down. There's about 60 glasses of different types, and I use maybe 2 of them - and usually for short stemmed flowers!

The reason there's so many is that my father took a part-time job as a barman at the local pub when he retired, then a few years later the pub closed, and he brought loads of the glasses home as the landlord was just going to dump them. Over the years various family and friends have taken all the beer glasses (pints and halfs) home, so I'm left with wine glasses (60's style, not the massive things they use today), whisky glasses, champagne coupes, a few shot glasses and other odds and ends.

Plus in the china cabinet are two sets of 6 tall lemonade style glasses, one of which came from my father's mother. I think they are quite old, engraved, and the glass feels so thin I'm afraid to use them.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

That's a brilliant idea, Bren! One of mine is 12" tall too. I never thought of using it for bread but I will definitely keep it now and put it to good use. Some people are so good at thinking outside the box, but I'm hopeless at it. Not an original idea in my head.
                  Plus in the china cabinet are two sets of 6 tall lemonade style glasses, one of which came from my father's mother. I think they are quite old, engraved, and the glass feels so thin I'm afraid to use them
                  If you are going to use the 12" tall box for bread, surely that's thinking inside the box🤔

​​​​​​​As for the engraved lemonade glasses, it may well be worth while finding out their value, as old glass is collectable
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Well the lovely sunny morning turned into a miserable wet afternoon.
                    Had my grandson for the evening so we stayed indoors.

Rary, glad to know your finger is on the mend.

Mothhawk, my cabinet is also full of glasses that are rarely used.
                    We had a friend who worked in a pub....enough said.

The leaves on the chestnut tree at the back of our house have been turning for the past couple of weeks
                    It seems very early in the season. Hope we're not in for a bad winter.

Have a good night all,

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Meant to say earlier was out for a walk with the dogs this afternoon and collected a bag full of brambles, had some with ice cream at teatime, really nice and sweet, might use the rest tomorrow night with cream, though that depends on when we get back from hospital as OHs appointment is for three o'clock, roads should be reasonablely quiet when we go up but returning from Glasgow in the evening is an absolute nightmare, when of course there will be lots of drivers who need to go onto a roundabout at nothing slower than 50 miles an hour and don't know how to use indicators, I would have thought using indicators would have still be in the driving test, but with the number of drivers that don't indicate, it must be purely voluntary need to go before I start a rant, so I wish you all a good day tomorrow and smile. Goodnight

Comment

• Good Morning All Dull start here. Have a good day

Comment

• Morning

We also have a collection of glasses we just use the same few, the others have been in boxes for years really must go through them.
                          MH those Tupperware cake boxes are vintage according to eBay sellers, think I've got the carry handle that came with it somewhere.

Grory hop for us today hopefully it will be as quick as last weeks shop.

Enjoy your day.

Comment

• Morning all. The air has a dusty, harvest smell to it this morning.

Yes, Rary, I must check on the glasses, they could well be getting on for a century old.

Made 2 jars of crab apple jelly yesterday so I've made pretty labels for them and printed them out. I usually just scrawl the name on a sticky label, but these may become xmas gifts I'll have to paint the lids though, as the jars are, as ever, recycled.

I spent a lot of yesterday cleaning up my grandpa's old first aid box, a big wooden thing I believe he made, and used at work (he was carpenter foreman and first aider at a quarry). It lives in the glory hole, is no use whatever, but I can't bear to part with it. I've emptied out the musty old bandages, 2 linen slings, an opened box of lint, old plasters, and a tin of vaseline. There used to be a glass stoppered bottle of iodine, but that's long gone.

The box smells sweet and is clean and polished now, I just have to find another use for it so I can legitimately keep it.
                            Last edited by mothhawk; 24-08-2023, 08:19 AM.
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Bren, who would think that tupperware would ever be vintage?
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

• You're allowed to keep that box MH, it's an heirloom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X