Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning All Bright but a few threatening rain clouds about. No plans for me today, just going with the Flo Have a good day
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good afternoon
      It was a lovely sunny morning so I put on a wash of Jean's, trousers and heavy shorts.
      No rain forecast until afternoon the weatherman said.
      Without warning it was like a cloudburst.
      All now hanging sodden on the line wetterthan when I put them out,

No idea what I will do with the rest of the day.

Rary, could you tell me what variety of Alstomeria you grow.
      I would be interested in giving them a try.
      Is now the right time to plant.
      Any information would be helpful.

Have a good day all and Snoop you can have our rain, Ireland is water soaked this summer.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon all.

I'm not sure what happened to the morning but a new "memory chip" might help as two jobs took two seperate trips as I'd forgotten about the second job ... temporarily....until I got home.

Snoop, another "label remover" I've used with success is alcohol etilico, which I used to bring back from Spain or France to put on insect bites. Nail polish remover works on some glues too. My friend heats the glue up with a hair dryer and says that works but I've always feared that it would just "bake" on.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
          Snoop, another "label remover" I've used with success is alcohol etilico, which I used to bring back from Spain or France to put on insect bites. Nail polish remover works on some glues too. My friend heats the glue up with a hair dryer and says that works but I've always feared that it would just "bake" on.
          I tried the alcohol. Made not a nanoparticle's worth of difference. A hair dryer might be an idea, but I imagine it might just end up smearing about in a thinner but more extensive layer. I'm afraid I'm the worst nail biter imaginable, so it's extremely unlikely we'll have some nail polish remover in the house. Mr Snoop has tried with soap and really hot water. He says he might have some solvent somewhere in the garage and that he'll try that next.

We've got a decent thunderstorm going on at the moment, but not a drop of rain. Pah!

Comment

• bramble I have an Alstromeria that I bought on-line in May (4" ). It grew well and flowered briefly and then withered and looked dead. I cut it back to about 2" and it's coming back with lots of healthy green foliage. It's Eliane Orange and very pretty. I'm sure rary will have more established plants, but you know me, couldn't resist butting in
            Last edited by Florence Fennel; 26-08-2023, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• WD40 Snoop?

Comment

• Peanut butter Snoop? Though I much prefer it on bread

Comment

• Afternoon, not sure where the days gone
                  I've planted out lettuce and sown seeds then ran in quick because of the downpour. Tried again managed to harvest beans and raspberries then gave up.
                  It's sunny out now but its not going to trick me again.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                    bramble I have an Alstromeria that I bought on-line in May (4" ). It grew well and flowered briefly and then withered and looked dead. I cut it back to about 2" and it's coming back with lots of healthy green foliage. It's Eliane Orange and very pretty. I'm sure rary will have more established plants, but you know me, couldn't resist butting in
                    Thanks Flo for the info...Feel free yo but in any time.
                    I will look that up on line and see what's on offer.
                    You can never have too much information. 😏

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Evening all.

The washing machine and iron have both earned their keep today, the rain didn't start until after lunch, and fell as gently as a sprinkler. It's done the garden a lot of good, and I was amused to see two wood pigeons squatting right in the middle of the road, each with a wing raised, enjoying an underarm shower.

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      ...Your mention of your rolling pin, bramble, has reminded me: how are you getting on with your steel rolling pin, mothhawk?
                      The rolling pin is great, Snoop, biscuits all exactly the same thickness, which means they all bake perfectly together. I love it!

After clearing out under the stairs, I decided I should turn out the shed too. I'm being quite ruthless in reducing the number of plant pots and containers I keep just in case I may find a use for them, especially the 8" to 12" size ones. If a plant needs a pot that size then it can be planted in the garden. If a house plant needs one that size, it's too big and must be split or outed.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                        WD40 Snoop?
                        I find WD40 is absolutely the best on any sticky label.
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Good evening, bramble I have Indian Summer which is very prolific, plus another five which I bought as a bargain bin sale so not sure of the names yet, Indian Summer is planted in the ground and about 3ft tall and wide the others at the moment are in pots, which is one of the reasons I am thinking of altering the garden, I had several alstromeria a number of years ago, sold in those days as Peruvian lilies, they were not the most prolific of flowering plants, but the verietys nowadays are, to me, well worth growing, if you do come across them on sale I would recommend that you buy young plants and not root cuttings, I had root cuttings last year and lost the lot, though it was one of the most severe winters for many years, as no doubt you will know the alstromeria make excellent cut flowers
                          Last edited by rary; 26-08-2023, 06:48 PM.
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

I will remember that!

Comment

• Rary, thank you so much for all that information.
                              My daughter had them to decorate the church when she was getting married and I always thought I would like to grow them.
                              I will keep my out for them and see what's on offer.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

Thanks, Flo and mothhawk. There's another new thing I've learned today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X