X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Bramble.

Tremendously windy here this morning. Haven't been out yet, but am expecting to find things blown all over the place. One thing's for sure, the wind has blown all the clouds away, as it's bright blue (but very cold). And the rest of the weather forecast has improved. Yesterday, they were forecasting 60 cm of snow on Wednesday next week. Today that's down to 20 cm. Me, I'm happy to have snow, as it gradually filters into the vein of water supplying our well. Mr Snoop can't stand it, as he's the one who gets in supplies and does all the driving. Still at 60 cm, we'd be cut off, so no point fretting. I'm secretly voting for deep snow...

Busy day ahead. Some work to finish and a friend coming for lunch. Plus I need to get a special delivery of smiles sent Rary's way.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning.

I'm still in bed, waiting for the central heating to warm me up before I venture out. I think it's a nice sensation to be in a little cocoon of warmth. It's still dark but there is no rain forecast today, a maximum temperature of 6°C though. I'll leave going out until the car has defrosted itself this morning.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
        oooo….snow eh Snoop? I secretly enjoy being cut off by snow too. It’s only happened here about 5 times lasting 3 days at a time over the past 15 years,but I’ve always loved that feeling. Probably because I’m stocked up in preparation every winter
        Not sure what I’ll be doing today, but it will involve the wood stove oven. No point in wasting the heat.

My wreaths were made using bay twigs, so I want to take off the leaves and dry them to use later on in the year. I love the repurposing idea .

To be honest, it feels a bit strange having no family/ friends staying and the decorations down!
        OH will no doubt find me things to do ​​​​​​
        I might just get my seeds out and have a play before he does!….

Enjoy your day peeps
        Hope you are feeling brighter today Bramble…just thinking about what you’ve gone through gives me the heebie- jeebies

Rary….hang on matey - keep checking in x
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Gf…..morning!
          You snuck in there whilst I was busy yabbering away!

Was it you asking about defrosting a car?

I asked my Swedish friends what they do.
          Apparently, for locked doors and petrol caps they pour very hot water into a very thick plastic bag- rubble sack sort of thickness so it doesn’t easily tear) - about the volume of a large grapefruit so it’s easy to hold, then press it in contact with the metal and hold it in place for a few minutes. Apparently their local petrol stations had a stack of bags and the kettle on the boil especially for defrosting petrol caps.
          There is a product available in Swedish garages- but he can’t recall what it was called - which they slather onto the rubber covering the door hinges.
          They lived in the far north not far from the Arctic circle , and at the moment their old neighbours are experiencing -40C
          They have to plug in an electric coil which is left in the engine when not in use to stop it from freezing. Some car parks have charging points for that very thing apparently. They were telling me that they once forgot to get the cable out of the car boot for a few hours and when they unravelled it to plug it in , the whole thing shattered as it was so cold
          Last edited by Nicos; 06-01-2024, 08:23 AM.

Comment

• Morning

No rain here either GF, I've only been as far as the gate to collect milk so wasn't out long enough to feel the cold.
            I like looking at snow through the windows but not to keen to be out in about in it anymore. We still have MrPots childhood sledge its outlasted those plastic ones our kids and grandkids favoured. Just now its been used a loo roll holder in the outside toilet.

enjoy your day.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning....again. It was me asking about frozen car doors a few weeks ago. Thanks for that info Nicos. I've a couple of old hot water bottles that would probably work with less chance of me scalding myself! I did look on the internet when I was having problems. It said to tap gently with a gloved hand all the way around the door as this will nudge the door enough to break the ice seal. It did work but our temperature was nothing like -40. That's a whole different kettle of fish...frozen fish no doubt.

Comment

• Good Morning All. Bright sun here too, long may it last. Those dark days are depressing. Have a good day
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• I was just reading about all the flooding in the uk and now the forecast of very cold weather ​​​​​​ Some people are really having a rubbish start to the New Year
                  Hope no one on here is struggling with that, although I’m aware some peeps have flooded/ boggy allotments/ gardens

Comment

• I've just heard that someone fell into the river near me. At the bottom of Rutland Road Nicos, you might know the area - Kelham Island, home of the real Gardener's Rest. Hope they were rescued.

Comment

• Yikes Flo….as you say, hope he’s ok…not the sort of weather to be in water irrespective of any injuries
                      Don’t really know that area…somewhere near Tesco?

Comment

• Hope they’re ok Flo rivers are running fast with all the flooding.

Comment

• Yes Nicos, near there. I understand he was swept down river, but was rescued and is safe in hospital. Sad to say I think he jumped. Must have been desperate poor man.

Comment

• That is sad Flo hope he gets the help he needs.

Comment

• How awful to feel that that is your only choice
                              As Bren says- thank goodness he survived and gets all the support he needs.

Comment

• Good evening all.
                                Well, I bit the bullet and decided Christmas was finished in our house today.
                                Spent most of the day taking down, and packing away a mountain of stuff we said we will definitely not use next year.
                                My daughter arrived just as I was putting the final box away.
                                She said, " you should phoned and I would have helped
                                Anyway, it's all back in the attic now.
                                Hope you all had a good day. "

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse