Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings' Day is the big day of the festive season here, Bren. The royal page has been collecting letters with requests. Then the Kings themselves will arrive later this evening and there will be a cavalcade, as they parade through the village, throwing sweets about.

In Barcelona, they arrive by tall ship most years and are met by the mayor. As our village is more modest, they will arrive by tractor and the page will travel in a tractor trailer, but they will still be greeted by the mayor.

The traditions include blackface and bright, shiny clothing and crowns.

Comment

• Thanks for that Snoop, here it just goes un-noticed.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good Morning. Sunny here, but cold. Have a good day All
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• I forgot to say that the Kings bring gifts, left overnight. Mums and dads put out Christmas sweetmeats and drinks for the Kings and milk for the camels. Children don't put out stockings but polished shoes.

Naughty children are given coal. These days 'coal' is made from a blackened sugar and water mixture that ends up looking quite like pumice. Picture here: https://www.marialunarillos.com/carb...ra-100-gr.html

Comment

• Mr Snoop asks that I tell you about the 'roscón', the Kings' Day cake, essentially a brioche ring with candied fruits on top, sometimes split in two and filled with cream, patisserie cream or even almond paste. Inside is a dried bean and a small china figurine. The person who gets the bean traditionally has to pay for the roscón, while the person who gets the figurine is king for the rest of the day.

According to this Wikipedia page, there used to be a similar tradition of a cake with a pea and a bean in. Also has a picture of a typical roscón in the Spanish-speaking section.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_c...king_countries

Comment

• That's really interesting Snoop. They made something similar on the New Year's Day Bake Off. Flaky pastry though.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                What a mixture of weather over the past couple of hours!…rain, heavy mist , sunshine…repeat….
                But it’s certainly feeling much colder- we’re due minus temperatures here in the coming days….and still a possibility of snow.

Our friends have just left so it’s now our turn to get our decorations down .
                We went and did a quick grory hop with them yesterday and the shops are full of Galette des Rois for Epiphany. A similar idea to Spain apparently…
                https://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/galette-des-rois/
                There seem to be more choice of fillings since we came here, such as apple or fruit purée/jam instead of almond paste.
                No obvious celebrations apart from taking down Xmas decorations.
                Very interesting hearing about the Spanish celebrations Snoop. Thanks for sharing that x

I’ve just remembered that apparently children in France used to leave out their clogs for their Xmas gifts from St Nick. Sounds very rural doesn’t it? But back in the late 40s/ early 50s most rural people wore ‘Dutch style’ clogs. I guess because they were cheaper than shoes/ lasted longer and the route ways would just have been mud for most of the year.

Not seen the smiles yet but I’m thinking they’ll be needing their waterproof thermals….

Enjoy your day peeps.
                Last edited by Nicos; 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Some nice looking cakes thanks everyone.
                  I’ve took a liking to brioche especially hot dog rolls and toasted brioche. Never really bothered with them before just stuck with the yeast and sourdough I bake.

Comment

• Do you bake your own brioche, Bren? I keep meaning to give it a go and then chicken out...

Comment

• Not my own brioche Snoop just store bought, not sure if I want to try baking at home they look a bit involved.

Comment

• rary if you do visit just to let you know I've sent you a pm

Comment

• Good evening all..
                          It was a beautiful sunny day here but very cold.
                          I didnt go out as I felt a bit shaky after the eye surgery so I sat in the conservatory instead.

Thank you for all the kind comments and best wishes, I know have the catarracht removed and a stent in this eye as well.
                          I am hoping this will be the end of my eye operations.

I meant to take my decorations down today but just couldn't face it.
                          Tomorrow is another day.
                          Have a good evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Bramble I hope you have an easy evening and a good nights sleep xx

Comment

• Good to know you're recovering Bramble, hope you feel much better tomorrow x

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                                Good to know you're recovering Bramble, hope you feel much better tomorrow x
                                Agreed!
                                Bramble - Yeh…just take your time. Aren’t you supposed to be very careful with head positions post surgery?…or is that old fashioned advice now?
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X