This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning and happy Sunday.
    Warm here as well but storms forecast for the afternoon.
    Greenhouse is watered and the dahlias are dead headed.
    Going to the church shortly.
    Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Cloudy start to the day MH so nope- didn’t see the comet, but I’m remaining hopeful that we catch sight of it in the next few days.

Last night was a tad cooler than previously and we had 5 minutes of sprinkles rain earlier on. It feels like the height of this heat dome is over. We’ve actually removed the silvered bubble wrap from our windows, so if it gets hotter you’ll know who to blame They worked a treat so it’s something we’ll do each year from now on when we have heatwaves.

Looks like I’ll be cooking down more apples, plums and pears today. The pear crumble I made the other day was absolutely delish even though most of the pears weren’t fully ripe. I’ll bag up some more ready for another one in a few weeks time.

I think it’s going to be cool enough to sit out in the shade too so I’ll grab a book even though I’ve a pile of ironing waving at me from the corner of the room

Enjoy your day peeps - be kind to yourselves. I now have not just a sad son whose cat hasn’t yet returned , but my daughter had to put down her elderly dog last night. We have to make the most of those precious times don’t we?…it’s too easy to take things for granted.

How have everyone’s pets coped with this ultra hot weather? Hibou slept all day ( she certainly found the coolest parts of the house!)and ventured out first and last thing when it was cooler.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Sorry to hear your son's cat hasn't returned and about your daughter's elderly dog, Nicos. Always very sad.

I went out very early this morning to check out the comet. A beautiful clear sky and absolutely perfect conditions apart from the boar raiding our fig tree right by the house. So I didn't feel brave enough to venture past it to get a better view of the right part of the sky. Went back to bed for another half hour in the hope the boar would have gone by then, but the sky was already too bright.

On the cards for today: apart from the usual work, make a cake for the neighbour who's dropping round at some point today to investigate a land deal that's going on near him and he wants to check out the plots involved. Not easy to do on his phone and much easier on my computer. If I'm lucky, he'll bring some eggs from their chickens. Shop eggs don't compare. I bought some 'organic' eggs the other day. I think the hens must be starving judging by the feeble yolk. Tiny and almost indistinguishable from the white in colour once cooked.

Right, better get on with the show. I've sorted out the plots of land but I haven't made the cake.

Have a great day everyone, whether you're in the sun or the shade.

Comment

• Good afternoon, I didn't have a good night last night, my hands were terrible, pins and needles to the point of pain which even spread up to my elbows, unfortunately I disturbed OH, who tried massaging my arm, but I finished up having to get out of bed, she told me a short time ago that it felt as if she was massaging bone, as my arms were so tight, so definitely need to have a word with the doctor about it. Was at church a bit earlier than normal this morning as the other parish church in the town is celebrating 150 years, so there was a joint service for both congregations, and their service starts at 10.30, once back home I watered the veg beds then made lunch,, after that I have been out cutting through 5 logs and now stopped for a coffee two more logs to go then I can get the sides in place, right time to get on with the work, enjoy your day
          Last edited by rary; 10-09-2023, 01:51 PM.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• rary, are you sure all this sawing is a good idea? Gripping the saw and lots of repetitive action might be making things worse. Sorry for sticking my oar in.

Comment

• Afternoon n’alln’all

What a mix of weather - rain, sun, rain, sun….I’m hiding back indoors again as it’s too hot I spoke too early didn’t I?

Nipping out between the showers I managed to collect loads of windfall apples and then cooked them down. At this rate we won’t have enough to juice and make our own cidre vinegar with.
              Must remember to ask our neighbour if he fancies pooling his with our apples. Doesn’t look like he’s got many either.

I’ve suddenly had the urge for a flapjack so I’ve got a batch cooking.Smells wonderful
              Last edited by Nicos; 10-09-2023, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Afternoon

We have rain the first in ages and its giving the garden a good soaking no flapjack for me Nicos I've just finished a Cornetto.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Afternoon We've had a couple of light showers, but it's still and thunder is forecast. My middle GG is bound for a lodge in the Lake District tomorrow and is convinced it will rain for the next few days. She and her partner don't mind, but Frank'll not like it! I've had a very lazy day. Family for breakfast, crosswords with my son (the puzzles not an argument) and browsing the internet this afternoon doing a bit of retail therapy Saturnalia approacheth
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    rary, are you sure all this sawing is a good idea? Gripping the saw and lots of repetitive action might be making things worse. Sorry for sticking my oar in.
                    I appreciate what you said Snoop and I wouldn't have viewed it like that either, if you hadn't put that in, unfortunately I do get the problems even when I haven't been doing any work, also I have to try and get it completed before I get an operation on my wrists, and as OH will be getting a new hip I don't think I will have time for doing any garden work.
                    Last edited by rary; 10-09-2023, 04:03 PM.
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Got some work done today, but as it started to heat up I stopped the heavy work and just tidied up, I will be going for a eye test tomorrow morning OH was coming with me but think she is now in the huff with me, I was working outside in the heat so removed my glasses, when I stepped in the house OH said I looked quite good without my glasses, ever being the gentleman I replied, you look pretty good yourself without the glasses, for some reason she's not speaking to me now.

Just joking I wouldn't dare say anything like that

Comment

• Good night all.
                        We had a warm but dull day, no rain even though it was forecast
                        My daughter called this afternoon, her and her hubby have just returned from Rhodes celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary.
                        She brought me some lovely gifts.

Not a lot done garden wise.
                        Collecting and drying flower and tomato seeds.
                        Re arranged the freezer as I am running out of space.
                        Need more space to freeze rhubarb, tomatoes and blackberries.,

Rary, I hope you get your hospital app sorted out soon, it sounds very painful.
                        I hope you have a better nightvt9night.
                        Take care alll

Nicos, sorry to hear about the loss of your families pets...

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good morning.

Still pitch dark here. I've been tossing and turning for hours. I'm seriously thinking about getting up and having a shower now before I awaken Mr GF too.

Comment

• Morning all.

Didn't see the comet this morning either. Big bank of cloud just in the wrong place. I might just stay in bed tomorrow.

Decent day yesterday. Didn't get a massive amount done at the weekend, but I do have plenty of banana and raisin cake for the freezer and for the neighbour who's dropping round later.

Mr Snoop has gone off to see what battery-powered tools he can score from the middle of Lidl. I'm holding the fort with the dogs, as ever. Nice and peaceful at the moment, so with any luck I will manage to get some work done.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

No comet sighting here either. Rather pleased about yesterdays rain it gave the garden a good soaking.

Yesterday we spotted a squirrel eating a sunflower head thats only the third one we've seen in the 39 years of living here, it soon ran of when we went outside though.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

I collected a lot of my sunflower heads yesterday as I want to share some of the seeds.
                                Never seen a squirrel in our garden Bren. I’ve seen them not far away and they are very deep orange/ black coloured.
                                Never seen a grey one here ever. I wonder if they are in France?

Not sure what’s on the books for today. It’s definitely cooler and with rain/ storms due so I might do a bit of weeding to start with then a short ironing sesh so it’s less over facing.
                                I fancy doing some baking. Yesterdays flapjacks went down a treat- we ‘accidentally’ ate half of them I mixed chopped apricots and raisins in half the mix and they were gorgeous. Fantastically chewy too!
                                Enjoy your day peeps- rain or shine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X