This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning all.
    Thunderstorms in the Midlands but it hasn't reached Dublin yet.

Trifle but without the sherry with lots of cream would be a favourite in our house.

Off to church shortly and out for a late lunch with family.
    Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Trifle is one of Mr GF's favourites. For me it should be some kind of sponge, fruit, some kind of booze, sloppyish custard and cream. No jelly. I usually just make smallish ones these days so I got in the habit of keeping back a bit of cake batter when I was making Victoria sponge and baking it in a shallow dish to be frozen and kept ready for the base of a trifle. I remember in my teens that a boyfriend had made me a birds trifle (out of a packet). It was revolting .... but somehow I managed to eat it.

Comment

• I posted this elsewhere whilst having a similar conversation about puddens..................
        Not quite the recipe that came from Italy, but they sure taste good..................
        This is a recipe with no measurements, done by taste, firstly make a cup of quite strong coffee, in a mug half a tablespoon of coffee and a tablespoon of sugar, test it, should be quite strong, leave to cool.
        You'll need a heap of sponge fingers and lots of shallow tupperware type shallow dishes, better with lids.
        In a bowl put a tub of Elmlea light double cream(laughingly saving on calories lol)a tub of Mascarpone and a decent glass full of sherry(now the books may say use something else here)whip said ingredients to a firm creamy state, taste it!
        Pour the cool coffee into a large but shallow bowl, quickly(so they don't go soggy and fall apart)dip sponge fingers into coffee then pop into containers, cover the bottom with a single layer. Cover with the cream mixture, then repeat to fill the tub. Sprinkle on chocolate powder and chill before devouring.
        So sherry from your trifle and sponge fingers, no jelly and tastes yummy. Now I might have made rather a lot here and they won't keep or freeze, so I might have tiramisu for breakfast yesterday................burp............
        Last edited by burnie; 09-07-2023, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Good afternoon, sunny with a light breeze here at present, last night there was some heavy rain for a couple of hours and was told this morning there was a thunderstorm in the next town (5mls away) but nothing here, not long back in from church, so now having lunch, with all this talk about puddings and sweets, there hasn't been one mentioned that I wouldn't enjoy, good to see that Bren can still remember back to when she was a kid, I was thinking on telling OH to make a trifle, but decided against it as my leg is a bit sore today and I might not be able to dodge out the way of her stick, I will now go out to the garden for a time, so have a good day and enjoy whatever is put on the table for you
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Afternoon all.

Late on parade, sorry about that. Busy morning in the kitchen and a very early afternoon nap. Amazing how time flies.

Quite hot out there. Mr Snoop laid the table for lunch outside for some mad reason and, having done so, did not want to decamp indoors. Anyway, can't see us having lunch outside again for the next two or three months. Supper yes, but lunch definitely not.

Definitely prefer tiramisu to trifle, burnie. Good call.

Dear me, I feel a late afternoon nap might be required too.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone.

Comment

• Snoop I have heard that a couple of short naps during the day helps you when you get old..... er, let me know if this is true and I will mark it down on my list of Things to Do when I get old, I just hope the paper I write all these tips on will stand the test of time

Did a bit of weeding this afternoon, with all the rain we have been having the weeds are growing faster than the garden plants, I also planted out some dahlias, chrysants and fuchsia. Now off to make the tea, so keep smiling
              ​​
              Last edited by rary; 09-07-2023, 03:37 PM.
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Full blown storm here
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Enjoy Flo!…so exciting! Keep safe though!

Speaking of which….gf - did you find out what that bangy thing was?
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Evening

We had a storm starting at just before 5pm Flo luckily it only lasted about an hour, plenty of thunder and lighting to go with it.

​​​​
                    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-07-2023, 06:33 PM.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• No Nicos, I never found out what it was.

Comment

• Morning all.

Bright and hot out there at the moment. Due to get cloudy this afternoon, so perhaps a little cooler. But the clouds will mean a hot night. So not so good overall. No storm forecasts here.

The boar was about nearly all last night if the dog barking was anything to go by. Just looked out and seen that most of the branches on one of our established pear trees have been ripped down. Might just go and pick all the fruit even though nowhere near ripe and chuck it, just to save the trees.

Had a nice weekend, hardly did any paid work for a change. But better get on it today.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

The gardens looking much better after yesterdays rain we've more due this afternoon so I'll mostly be outdoors this morning.

Snoop sorry to read about the Boar damage it must have been a disturbing night for you all.

enjoy your day

Comment

• Good morning warm but cloudy, no doubt there will be rain sometime today, Snoop I remember having hot nights, ye​​​​​​s I have a good memory for some things​​​​​​, nowadays I just dream of them talking of memory, Bren I'm just giving you a reminder that you have to keep me in mind come August, to sow lettuce for growing over the winter, right that's that message delivered I will no go and see what I will get into trouble for today, have a good day, and take it easy remember if you leave weeds to grow another day, the will be larger and easier to pull

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Oh gosh Snoop - not good at all - looks like your land is back on his buffet table

We nipped over to a local vide grenier yesterday and came away with a child’s car seat, and bed barrier, a small dolls house ( with wooden contents) and some summer toddler clothes all for less than 20€. Well worth the visit!
                              Funnily enough I now have the urge to make things to go into the dolls house - like bedding and curtains As if I don’t already have enough to do!

I think our storms have gone for now and as it’s much more of a bearable temperature and humidity, a bit more gardening will go down a treat!

Enjoy your day peeps!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Rary I'll send you a pm when I update the lettuce thread just in case you miss it.

Morning Nicos you sneaked in as I was posting
                                Last edited by Bren In Pots; 10-07-2023, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X