Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^We only have plain chocolate in the house. I don't like dark chocolate that much and this particular bar isn't a good one. So, I'll just have to wait for another day when we have milk chocolate in the house... Phew.
    Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

• Nibbles of olives, sungold tomatoes, cucumber batons and cheese while we were waiting.
      I got a shepherds pie base I'd made last week out of the freezer and topped it with mashed potato, tomato slices and cheese. We had it with carrots and beans and gravy.
      Pudding was a weird creation. In the bottom chopped up remnants of apple sponge, then fresh raspberries and crunched up meringue topped with vanilla ice cream.

Comment

• ^ Pud sounds delish, greenishfing. Never had apple sponge, but I'm sure I'd love it and I certainly love the other ingredients.

I think brunch today as we're having a very early supper/extremely late lunch with a friend: nibbles, pork chops, fake roast potatoes (par-boiled and finished in duck fat a pan) and as much cabbage and bacon as I can fit on the rest of the plate, baked peaches for afters.

Extras: crackers and a poolish for a sourdough white. Haven't made a sourdough loaf in what feels like ages, as Mr Snoop has come clean and said he prefers the taste of bread made with yeast. But my turn for a sourdough now, I think.

Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

• I really should have gone shopping yesterday or today. The fridge is (by normal standards) empty. Not the cupboards or freezers though. In fact the freezers are full to bursting with allotment goodies. I am trying to use some of the meat and fish up to give me more room.
          Today is chicken thighs out of the freezer, roast vegetables (obviously including courgette) either rice noodles or couscous and the last of the sweetcorn.
          Strawberries and/or raspberries with ice cream

Comment

• Tumble salad with our own pickled quail eggs, lettuce, tomato and cucumber- plus turkey.
            own rhubarb in jelly for pud
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Yesterday's supper put off to today: friend not hungry and neither were we. And I didn't make the poolish. But I did make some ginger and currant biscuits, very nice.

Lunch: big salad.
              Supper: pork chops and veg. Fruit salad for pud.

Comment

• A hot 'salad' of French beans, hardboiled eggs, cooked smoked salmon and a yogurty lemon sauce served with a side salad of tomatoes.

The last of the fresh plums for pud. There is a big bag in the freezer so there will no doubt be plum crumbles over the winter

Comment

• At my husband's request yet again prawn and vegetable curry ( including the obligatory courgette mountain) and naan bread. Raspberry trifle.

Comment

• ^Greenishfing, you've inspired me for supper. I can't eat prawns, but I love the courgettes in Madhur Jaffrey's prawns with courgettes recipe (shrimp with zucchinis in her Indian Cooking book, bad enough that the title is given in American English, but zucchinis with an s?!). Versions online if you've never seen it. So these courgettes and some kind of spicy fish dish. Yum.

Lunch: another salad, I think.

Forgot to make the poolish last night, so some kind of yeast bread. Not sure what. Milk rolls maybe.

Comment

• Pork escalope with sage sauce, baked apple wedges, potato gratin, ratatouille (using more of the courgette and tomato glut), last of the fresh peas, pimientos de PÓdron.

Raspberries and/or strawberries and cream should we have room.

There will also be lots of leftover ratatouille for the freezer.

Comment

• We had a very late lunch of a picnic on the outskirts of Caen.
                        A mixture of salad things from home and OHs bread rolls.

No supper as I was too full!

Comment

• Lunch: Mr Snoop cooked, so bean stew from a can with extra lentils. Quite good, surprisingly. These stews here are sometimes ridiculously fatty.
                          Supper: fish, salad and lemon rice. Figs for pud, I think.

Two loaves of sourdough, one for us, one for friend. Looking good so far.

Comment

• "Figs for pud", says snoop so nonchalantly. My three little trees have got plenty on but not one has ripened this year. I am jealous.

I have batch cooked pasta bake this afternoon so we're having one for tea with garlic bread. (Also a couple to give away and a couple minus the bechamel and mozzarella for the freezer)

Comment

• Last night was Konjac noodles with a creamy lemon salmon and broccoli sauce. (Part of my diet... wow!...look up the noodle's calorific values!!!)

Pudding was one piece of baklava ( Dont look up those calorific values!!!!)

Comment

• Something about those konjac noodles that has never really appealed to me. Total prejudice on my part. What were they actually like?

As for the figs, greenishfing, there are trees that grow wild here. So even if one tree doesn't have that many, visit a few and you can get enough. Me, I'd love a decent apple tree or two but apparently they don't do well here. Just the idea of a Cox's has me dreaming...

Lunch: home-made pork burger with trimmings.
                                Supper: courgette and blue cheese soup.

Yesterday's loaf for the friend is the prettiest one I've ever made. Very nearly didn't hand it over... Friend said "Wow!" when I did, so that made me feel better. Oven temperature not quite right for ours, but still pretty good.
                                Extras today: cherry and nut cookies, crackers and some mini buns. Possibly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X