Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It feels quite Autumnal here today. I fancy some comfort food. I've got boneless chicken thighs in the fridge so I think it's going to be chicken and mushroom pie (with a bit of courgette thrown in), mashed potatoes, french beans, carrots and gravy. Off to make some pastry now. Nibbles of cucumber batons, baby tomatoes, olives and radish first.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
      It feels quite Autumnal here today. I fancy some comfort food. I've got boneless chicken thighs in the fridge so I think it's going to be chicken and mushroom pie (with a bit of courgette thrown in), mashed potatoes, french beans, carrots and gravy. Off to make some pastry now. Nibbles of cucumber batons, baby tomatoes, olives and radish first.
      it really is starting to feel like autumn isn't it. i saw someone the other day talking about their michaelmas daisies were flowering!

we have the quick meal staple tonight, Sausage, Egg and Chips.
      "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
      - Henry Beard

Comment

• Pasta tuna bake this evening I'll be adding either a courgette or cannelloni beans.

but just now sausage egg and chips sounds good.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Feels like October here today.

Lunch: fish baked with leeks, toms and courgettes, plus broccoli. Very proud of the leeks, I am.

Supper: courgette soup.

Might think about making a malt loaf or two. Never made malt loaf before. I used to love Soreen. Doubtless mine won't be anything like that, but the thought will be there. If anyone's got any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Feels like October here today.

Lunch: fish baked with leeks, toms and courgettes, plus broccoli. Very proud of the leeks, I am.

Supper: courgette soup.

Might think about making a malt loaf or two. Never made malt loaf before. I used to love Soreen. Doubtless mine won't be anything like that, but the thought will be there. If anyone's got any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.
            we make a malt loaf in our bread maker. plenty of malt extract which will stick to absolutely everything it comes near! if you're going to add raisins, make sure you soak them in tea for a while first to make them nice and plump
            - Henry Beard

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteyd View Post

we make a malt loaf in our bread maker. plenty of malt extract which will stick to absolutely everything it comes near! if you're going to add raisins, make sure you soak them in tea for a while first to make them nice and plump
              Thanks. I'm off to find the recipe book right now. An ancient Good Housekeeping book that I bought second-hand donkey's years ago. Going to be hard not to eat it straight away. Maybe I should make two after all...

Comment

• Soreeeeeeen!…yes please! I utterly adore big sticky slabs of it lathered in salty butter…yummy yum!
                I too would love to have a tried and tested recipe!

OH had to send to the UK for malt extract - not seen it here, but maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong places?

We’ve decided that with the darker nights slowly creeping in ( August !!!) that we’ll try and set up a Date Night supper once a week if we’re not eating with friends.
                Cooking something we’ve never made before and sitting at the table ( usually it’s a slob event in front of the TV cos we’re exhausted! ..and a nice bottle of wine….plus candles etc.

Tonight I’m starting it by making roasted guinea fowl with a homemade boudin blanc ( white sausage) served with onions in white wine and caramelised carrots followed by nectarine and Greek yog ( and mascarpone) ice cream.
                Time consuming, yes, but something nice to look forward to each week.
                Fortunately OH is a better cook than me so this is going to be interesting!
                No doubt there will be a few failures, but heck…it should be fun.

( I’ve not made a puff pastry for over 40 years so that will be something I’ll be trying soon….and those profiteroles!)

Guess where you’ll find me this afternoon!

Deffo not diet food is it?
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I know some people prefer not to shop on Amazon but that's where I found malt extract in Spain, Nicos. Big jar, so if the first round doesn't work, I can try again. Big jar so that if it turns out to be delicious, I can just make some more.

Edited to add: forgot to say, sounds like a yummy supper.
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 19-08-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Thats exactly where we got ours Snoop Puss. it can also be found in health food shops. can't remember seeing it in the supermarket but then i doubt i ever really looked.
                    - Henry Beard

Comment

• Cured meats, cheese and bread tonight.
                      - Henry Beard

Comment

• Fish, chips and mushy peas from the chippy.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Last night was prawn, courgette and pea risotto yet again.

I didn't get anything out of the freezer last night or early this morning for tonight, but I've got a twinpack of fillet steak hiding in the fridge so tonight it looks like it's going to be treat night. It's going to be steak with pepper sauce, onion rings in beer batter, tomato, pesto and mozzarella bake, hopefully a handful of Padron peppers and garlic bread.

Comment

• Toasted cheese and pickle sandwiches for lunch. Probably the highlight of the day, foodwise!

Tonight: courgette fritters, tomato salad and coleslaw. I've never grown Golden Acre Primo cabbages before. I think I'll grow two rather than three next year. We're on number two now. They're so dense by the time we've finished the third, it'll be Mr Snoop's birthday (early October).

Comment

• Fish stew last night with potato wedges (running late due to workmen finishing off).
                              Lunch - cold aubergines, oven roasted with garlic, olive oil and chilli flakes. (Supposed to have had them last night..)
                              Tonight chicken in hoisin sauce, stir fried veg (including courgettes) and noodles.
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                                Last night was prawn, courgette and pea risotto yet again.

I didn't get anything out of the freezer last night or early this morning for tonight, but I've got a twinpack of fillet steak hiding in the fridge so tonight it looks like it's going to be treat night. It's going to be steak with pepper sauce, onion rings in beer batter, tomato, pesto and mozzarella bake, hopefully a handful of Padron peppers and garlic bread.
                                We did get the Padron peppers (all still mild). However the battered onion rings changed to courgette fritters as I really don't want them to run away with me and the onions will hopefully keep for months.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X