This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sandspider View Post
    Any idea when things might start to warm up?!

It is already warm for February - the monthly average is nearly 3 degrees above normal for this time of year according to the Central England Temperature from the Met Office. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/...info_mean.html

Over the next few days the temperature will fluctuate up and down as warm and cold fronts move through associated with the storms and low pressure systems.

If the longer range models are to be believed, there is little chance of prolonged cold into March, and if (as currently forecast) high pressure builds from the south in a week or so, it could start to feel quite spring-like. However, the polar vortex is very strong and for now at least, any high that tries to build seems likely to get flattened fairly quickly by low pressure from the west.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Thank you. It doesn't feel too warm to me, but I suppose it could certainly be colder, and often is at this time of year.

At least the snowdrops are out, and daffs not too far away.

Comment

• Just wait for the daffs to come out. They almost always attract hail stones for some strange reason.
        My snowdrops are also out.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Seven Stones Light Bouy weather station is broken so no wind or wave height data.

I don't suppose anyone is going to go out and fix it tonight.
          Last edited by quanglewangle; 16-02-2022, 06:24 PM.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Storm Eunice tomorrow looks worse in just about every way than Dudley. Anywhere from Yorkshire southwards looks in for possible wind gusts upto 70-80mph with higher than that likely in the south. Snow and possible blizzards are likely further north especially on high ground.

Keep an eye on the Met Office warning page https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ce/uk-warnings - it would not surprise me to see the current amber warning extended somewhat to the north east, and it would surprise me a lot if some areas are not upgraded to red.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Thanks Pen, it's an Amber warning for us.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Already got 2 huge trees down in village, I'm dreading tomorrow.
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• I'm dreading tomorrow too. Supposed to be visiting my Mum in Harrogate, but cancelled that as I don't fancy driving in it.

As expected, there is now a red warning for parts of the south west where the strongest winds are expected.

Comment

• Going to be exciting here tomorrow
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220217_120902_uk.gov.metoffice.weather.android.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2541335
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                      Going to be exciting here tomorrow

Name:	Screenshot_20220217_120902_uk.gov.metoffice.weather.android.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2541335
                      - good luck, and stay safe!

Comment

• I have just spotted a daff on my allotment that is just about to open and attract those hail stones we always get when the daffs are in flower.

Name:	DSCF7438R.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	2541345
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Pressure has dropped off a cliff here. Almost 6 hPa drop in last hour.

Name:	Screenshot_20220217_211955_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2541372

Comment

• Red warning now for the London area - I can't say I am in the least surprised.

Comment

• Yikes! Thanks for the updates Pen.
                              I think we crossed the Channel on the ferry just in time

We seem to be getting touched by the strong gusts down here .How is it going for you Q ?

Keep safe peeps.
                              Last edited by Nicos; 18-02-2022, 10:54 AM.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                How is it going for you Q ?

Keep safe peeps.
                                Not too bad, actually. Psychologically, seems better because it's sunny.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X