Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is very easy to think that winter is over when the weather warms up at this time of year like it has at the moment. It is looking distinctly possible that by this time next week it could be cold again with quite severe night frosts and some wintery showers possible in the east. This is still a week away and therefore subject to change, but at the moment the high pressure looks like drifting north or north west, which would turn the wind into the east or north. There is unlikely to be a lot of snow as high pressure is likely to still be in control, but a distinct drop in temperature is probable.

You have been warned!
    Last edited by Penellype; 27-02-2021, 09:48 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• We are heading for the hail stone season.
      It is normally when the daffodils are in flower. There is a lot in bud and a few open in my area.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• A couple of very cold nights coming up with a sharp frost likely. After that it should become somewhat less cold, with milder, wet and windy weather moving in from the west by mid week. After that things are much less certain, but the trend seems to be towards low pressure systems which may be far enough south at times to pull the wind in from the north as they move away. It is therefore not impossible that some places may see some sleet or snow briefly towards mid month, possibly even quite far south, but at present a return to very cold weather appears unlikely. Forecasts this far ahead can, of course, change.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Yellow wind warnings for much of the country over the next 48hrs as the jet stream pays us a visit. There will be a fair amount of rain too, and it will get briefly warmer as the warm sector of the low passes through. Colder again afterwards with wintery showers possible over northern hills.

After a couple of chilly nights over the weekend it looks likely to get milder and drier with high pressure returning, although the temperature will depend crucially on the position of the high. Some of the model runs are seeing a return of winter in the 3rd week of March with snow a possibility while others remain mild and spring-like. It is too early to be sure which will happen, but please be aware that it is still possible that winter may yet reappear.

Comment

• If it does snow in the third week I'll have THE most almighty tantrum!!! I have a week off starting Monday 22nd and hope to finish off any remaining digging & weeding that week Fingers crossed.
            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
              If it does snow in the third week I'll have THE most almighty tantrum!!! I have a week off starting Monday 22nd and hope to finish off any remaining digging & weeding that week Fingers crossed.
              It all critically depends on the position of the high pressure. Current trends are to keep this slightly to our west, which draws in a chilly northwest flow around the top of the high. Some runs have the high drifting further north, which could start to pull the wind in from the east. In this situation the further south and east you are the more likely you are to get the coldest air and snow. There are plenty of runs that are much warmer at this point though - it is too far ahead for any certainty.

There is another option, that the high drifts further west towards Greenland. This could produce a cold northerly blast, but this at the moment seems to be a less likely scenario.
              Last edited by Penellype; 12-03-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Fortunately the high pressure didn't drift west and the weather has been reasonably pleasant although some places have had a lot of cloud (always a hazard with high pressure, depending on wind direction). However, we may not be out of the woods yet.

More changeable, windy and cooler weather coming in from the west over the next couple of days, with a potentially quite cold night on Friday and day on Saturday before it gets milder again into Sunday. However, the models are increasingly agreeing that the high pressure may move west into the Atlantic and ridge towards Greenland, bringing in a cold northerly wind just in time for Easter. If the coldest runs are right this could produce frosty nights and some snow, although this would be likely to melt quite quickly except on higher ground. Unlike the cold snap on Saturday this could last a week or so. A cold spell is not yet a certainty, but is looking more likely with every model run at the moment.

It is still only March. Do not be fooled into planting out tender plants - snow at Easter is more common than snow at Christmas, and it could be cold enough to severely check plants even in a greenhouse.

Comment

• As Prince said "Sometimes It Snows In April"
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Thanks Pen. At least I'm happy to prepare the ground and weed during the warmer spell. The seedlings can wait. Well they will, because they are still in their packets!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• The models are delaying the cold spell until Monday, but when it hits we will know about it if current runs are right. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security by the current warm spell!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ens_image.png
Views:	214
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2521125

That is some drop in upper air temperatures! The precipitation spikes at the bottom are likely to be wintery showers.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I'll say it again, we need a "like the post but don't like the message" button. Stuff is supposed to be heading outwards not back inwards Those are some chilly temperatures, and the shorts have made it out of the wardrobe...

Comment

• I’ve just been checking my forecast...we had 26C on Tuesday.
                          Monday night is supposed to be 4C ( feels like -4C ) and snow

There goes all my plum blossom again
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I've been hoping the models were exaggerating, but sadly it appears not. we are still on course for a massive drop in temperature into Easter Monday and snow is a definite possibility, at least in the form of showers, almost anywhere. There could be hail, thunder and lightning too as the cold air meets the warmer air. Temperatures are likely to rise slowly through the week, but some of the models are showing a 2nd northerly blast on the back of a low pressure for next weekend before it finally warms up. Not what you want in April.

Comment

• Not good news Pen but thank you.
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• We'll, we've had hail! When is it likely to warm up again, Pen?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X