X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine costs are £23-20 for 127 sq mtrs
    plus £10 for grass cutting
    plus £10 for water
    no manure no woodchip a shop on site (expensive)
    no toilet
    size is 42 foot by 24 foot for growing crops but also have the part at the top to put my shed on which comes in with the
    127 sq mtrs
    PLUS £4 to join shop not optional
    Last edited by 21up; 14-08-2016, 05:46 PM. Reason: forgot last line sorry

Comment

• £25 for a full plot and £6 (full plot) for association membership. Not sure about OAP discount, but I'm sure such a thing exists!

Comment

• Plot cost

£15 for a full plot, £10 for a half. I don't think ours have been increased in years, but the land is owned by the association, which helps.

Comment

• £28/yr for 125meters sq! (10x12.5m). Wigan Council.
          "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

• I have a full plot and I pay £32 a year. I also pay £5 to be part of the gardening club.

Comment

• I pay what seems to be a very steep £40 a year.

We don't get anything for that - no mains water, power or anything. Unsurprisingly, half of the 15 or so plots are abandoned, and the letting agents are impossible to contact.

I think it's a full sized plot - I have a triangular shaped corner which is about 450 sq m.

Comment

• Originally posted by DataMonkey View Post
                I pay what seems to be a very steep £40 a year.

We don't get anything for that - no mains water, power or anything. Unsurprisingly, half of the 15 or so plots are abandoned, and the letting agents are impossible to contact.

I think it's a full sized plot - I have a triangular shaped corner which is about 450 sq m.
                £40 isn't steep, it's more than I pay but very good value - or were you being sarcastic, I'm not good at telling with the written word, sorry. I'm probably being thick but why is it unsurprising that half the plots are empty? You don't need electricity or running water, we have neither and grow lots and love my plot.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I pay what seems to be a very steep £40 a year.

That's more than 3x the size of mine - we have water, but for that space I'd be paying over £100/year. More than covers the cost of a few IBCs/2nd hand water butts.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Just received my letter for next year and it's £72.00 + water rates so looking at around £82 ish for a 300 square foot plot which actually measures 280 foot but what's 20 square feet between friends .....
                    When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      £40 isn't steep, it's more than I pay but very good value - or were you being sarcastic, I'm not good at telling with the written word, sorry. I'm probably being thick but why is it unsurprising that half the plots are empty? You don't need electricity or running water, we have neither and grow lots and love my plot.
                      Hi

No, it just seems to be more than anyone else in the area pays. I know someone who has a similar sized plot a few miles away and pays less, with mains water, toilets and a shop. Maybe the plots are always greener elsewhere

Also, the agents put the prices up each year, but existing plotholders never get an increase. So my next-plot neighbour is paying £20 for an identical size to mine.

Even worse, the chap who had my plot before me, that I took over directly from, was only paying £9 because he'd had it for years - then they rate it at £40 for me !

I guess I'll have to stay for 20 years for it to seem great value.

But I don't mind paying that amount really. I love my plot, use waterbutts on the shed, and don't really need anything electrical.

As for not having a toilet....I'm lucky enough to live 150m away.

Comment

• Is this a private site, DM?

Comment

• The site should be increasing everyones rate not just newcomers.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Is this a private site, DM?
                            It's owned by the church, and run by a local (useless) estate agents.

And yes, I think it should just be a set rent per plot.

I think the agents do it this way to save the hassle of changing the rent each year.

Did I mention how useless they were...?

Comment

• Our plots are £45 but I think the Council cap the rents at £50 anyway. You should only pay enough to collectively cover overheads!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It's owned by the church, and run by a local (useless) estate agents.

And yes, I think it should just be a set rent per plot.

I think the agents do it this way to save the hassle of changing the rent each year.

Did I mention how useless they were...?
                                Do you have enough of a community to negotiate with the church to go self-managed? That would remove the agents' fees and you get to sort out a lot of amenities (manure deliveries etc) for yourselves. The downside being you have to collect rents, sort out tenancies etc yourselves too.
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X