This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popped up to the council offices yesterday and paid my rent for 2017

We got our letter about paying the annual rent in late November and it had gone up.....by £2 So it's now £37 per year and is a half plot (roughly 90ft x 30ft) with water. A couple of my neighbours have been grumbling about the price increase (!) and just looked blankly at me when I say it works out at around 71p per week!
    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• I think mine comes out at just under £100 a year for about 30ft by 90ft including water, shop, toilets and a small lock up. It has security but still gets one or two break ins a year. You can have two green houses or polytunnels and a shed on the plot too. It is fairly expensive for outside of the south but it was 2 minutes walk from work and had no waiting list....probably because of the cost especially as it is one of the poorer areas of Birmingham.
      Last edited by ecudc; 11-01-2017, 06:57 PM.
      Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
      Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
      Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
      Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

• We have just had the AGM and the annual rent was increased from £22 to £24 for a full plot and half plot is £12.
        Each plot is fenced in with chicken mesh and each plot has a tap. The water comes from a bore hole and there is a petrol driven pump. There is a communal wooden shed and a shed with a strimmer and ride on mower. The paths are mown in the summer - one of the 3 committee members does it. We can put up a shed and a green house restricted to 8 x 6. (This is in South Oxfordshire)
        Last edited by mrsbusy; 27-01-2017, 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot to say..

Comment

• £180 per year for 10X10 meters

Most of the previous messages / posts to this thread I could not tell if the costs were weekly, monthly, quarterly, half yearly.????
          I assume most were not yearly as many were in the £40 rage which is less than a pound a week which is a pittance!!!.
          I pay £180 to the local laid in the big hoose for a 10 X 10 meter plot... lots of restrictions. e.g. No shed, no poly tunnel, no hose pipe etc... laid's wife has high control over the colour of netting we are allowed to use. which has been another source of cost to my wife and myself. We feel it is expensive but it is convenient as we can walk to our plot in 15 to 20 mins. If this is the most expensive in the uk? please let know as she may want to push up prices. I have put loads of work into the site.... raised beds etc and I am concerned she may stop renting and just use the site for herself after all the back breaking effort i have put into the land.
          Thanks for responding about level of cost...i have always wanted to compare.
          ours breaks down to £1.80 per square meter per year.
          or £180 for 10 X 10 meter plot per year
          all the best

Comment

• Hello John & welcome to the Jungle. I believe all of the costs quoted are annually.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Just had my 2017 invoice

Plot 51 £18 ( 250 square meters) 50% concession for being over 60
              Plot 54 £39 ( 260 square meters) no concession for second plot

Plot 51 is actually 282 square meters as i recovered an old bank

Comment

• £19 a year. shed, no water/leccy/toilet, no fruit trees or fires. £5 extra to use the polytunnel

Comment

• I haven't actual allotments since the 80s when I had 5 plots of various size from 200 to the standard 300 sq. yards but I cannot remember how much I paid. I took on a 15 acre smallholding in 1985 where I paid £50/acre. Since retiring I have retained 1.25 acres and the rent hasn't changed. The land is very rough and infested with brambles and bracken but I have beaten about half into submission. It does have the great advantage of being next to the house.

Comment

• Hi John, I've got a third of a plot in Devon via the local council. I did have to wait 3.5 years to get a plot close to home, but got my plot in October, it's 1/3 of a plot as thats the standard size of all the city centre plots, works out about 8mx12m. I paid £17.87 for a year plus £8.33 one off admin charge. No polytunnel, no hosepipes, but has communal storage and water march-october, and can have greenhouse/shed if you request permission.

Comment

• I've just got my first allotment and it's a quarter plot I think (although here it's described as a half plot because of the waiting list). I pay £37 per year, which includes running water. I have a shed (must be painted forest green) and can put up wooden cages and small net/polythene tunnels, etc, but no greenhouse. Anything put up must be removable in 1 hour.

I'm hoping that nobody will want the other half of my plot and that I'll be able to take that on as well (£70 per year for both bits), but am happy with what I've got to start with.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the low cost. I was even more chuffed when I was only charged £50 for a 6x4 shed, complete with 2 water butts and a compost bin.

Comment

• Allotment Charges Etc

I have half a plot here on Wirral for which I pay £17.50 per annum inclusive of water. which is a discounted rate as I am an OAP. Lovely small site and very few rules. I have 2 sheds, one metal for storage and a small wooden one which houses my Porta Potti, as no toilet. Also have 2 Polytunnels which were decimated by Doris. Very poor drainage hence 2 poly tunnels. Love my garden and grow a mixture of edibles and flowers. Hoping for drier weather so that I can replace poly covers and get some seeds in. Good luck everyone!:

Comment

• I pay £26.55, the actual plot is only £20 but they add a bit on for admin and society fee and thats for half a plot, have access to a brick built toilet with coded lock and also water trough on mains next to my plot, I think thats a pretty fair price to pay and the services are good, someone even mows the paths for us all too! although when I find out who I will volunteer to help out.
                          Last edited by damian1225; 28-04-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Reading through this thread I'm amazed at how cheap allotments are in the UK. I pay about £40 pounds a year for a 4m by 8m plot in Japan. That includes running water but nothing else. Fortunately there's a supermarket and a 7/11 about two minutes walk if I get caught short. Fruit trees, greenhouses and sheds aren't allowed but polytunnels seem to be OK.

Comment

• I pay £27 a year for my half a plot.
                              6 months back rent and 6 months forward.

Water is provided, that's about it.
                              Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.

Comment

• £52 per year
                                for a full plot. free water from standpipes but a permanent pan on hosepipes/sprinklers etc so water by watering can only

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X