X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 21up View Post
    look after it sounds good value wow!!!!
    Yeah, its brilliant value. i'm very lucky! I inherited 3 sheds on the plot so i've invested in properly refelting and fixing them up. i figure that i should look after it all well so i can pass it on (a long time in the future!) in good shape

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
      The Council split the big ones up as they become available, in order to reduce the waiting list.
      It's a shame, but a small plot is better than no plot IMO - and quite a few people prefer a small plot, not having the time/inclination to cultivate a bigger one.
      I agree some people only want a small area so cut down works well there however but I'd argue that they aren't allotments which were sized so they could feed a family of four. If you can't do that then it's a vegetable plot and not an allotment.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• I have two plots that are both about 30' by 20'. both have greenhouses on them, one of which is about 15' long. I have fruit bushes and mature fruit trees on one of them. I guess I must be really lucky because it costs me £40 a year for both.

Comment

• Had my first ever AGM meeting for what will be my first full season on the plot. Paid our fees which haven't changed - £10 for the year. My plot is 10 x 17 meters. No water, but theres a locked gate and we are allowed structures (I inherited a shed and greenhouse).

Comment

• Originally posted by Normans Mum View Post
            I have two plots that are both about 30' by 20'. both have greenhouses on them, one of which is about 15' long. I have fruit bushes and mature fruit trees on one of them. I guess I must be really lucky because it costs me £40 a year for both.
            that is very cheap, what site is that on ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mo_ View Post
              that is very cheap, what site is that on ?
              I don't think it's that cheap as they're quite small plots and the two added together is still a bit short of a full sized plot under the National Allotment Society definition. Mine is full sized and cost less than £30 per year and, although some people pay far more, it's not unusual.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                How much and how do they broken down?
                Discounts for oaps? Membership charges?
                20pounds for large plot with water and gates to keep secure, we look after it all ourselves.
                Think thats resasonable.
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 25-03-2016, 08:26 PM. Reason: fixing Quote

Comment

• Right...this is a rant of the highest order so beware! I was approached by a couple of my fellow allotmenteers who informed me that our rents are due to rise....by three times what it is now!! "how come" I asked, very politley, well it seems we have a newbie on our allotment who happened to mention to our most honoured commitee, that our rents are very cheap! compared to others in our locality, so with this , heartening enlightenment, they have decided to raise ours!

Now then now then, we do not have vehicle access, nor do we have water on tap, nor do we have communial composting that other allotments have. The allotments we use have bog standard earth, i.e. not cultivated other than by ourselves with no real adding of soil additives or improvers, compared to most others, and as i travel around with work, I`ve seen most of them, our soil is poor, baking to a brick in summer and turning to glue in winter. To bring our soils up to the `friable` state that others enjoy would need tons and tons of soil improver and the time for it all forked in.
                  Who-ever this `charitble` person is, must beware that our soil needs improving, and blood, bone and ash does this very well !!!!!
                  Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

• So Chaz

What does 3 times what you pay now equate to? My rent is cheap and to a degree in think this adds to the problem of un-maintained plots on our site.

Comment

• Still cheap

Central Scotland (Lanarkshire), site is charging £30 - Amazing value in my eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdm01 View Post
                        Central Scotland (Lanarkshire), site is charging £30 - Amazing value in my eyes.
                        For what size plot?

Comment

• Well the `true` amount is now only 50% more, it seems that this newbie was not responsible entirely, but pursausively as the committee felt that it needed to increase inline with costs, I can just about sustain the increase....£5.00 , charitable donations via the `cheapskate chaz beer pot fund`no refunds returned.
                          Are you sick of chocolates yet?
                          Last edited by cheapskate chaz; 27-03-2016, 01:12 PM.
                          Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

• Just been down my plot this afternoon and finally managed to take my very long tape measure down because I didn't think the plot size in my agreement was correct. The agreement says its a half plot the size of 150 square yards.

It measures 26ft x 45ft = 1170 sq feet = 130 sq yards

Still I don't feel cheated as it costs only£22.65 a year and brown compost bins the council remove plus water is provided plus they gave me a free compost bin when I started.
                            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

• My plot in Andover Hampshire is 125 sq metres and the Town Council sets the rent at £68 a year which includes water so Muddy Boots you got yourself a bargain
                              Last edited by Plot28 A&B; 08-04-2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdm01 View Post
                                I'm in Lanarkshire too, always nice to hear about other allotments in the area (guessing not the same one as mine isn't the same fee)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X