X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andraste
    replied
    Our 1/2 plot is very approximately 12m x 8m & costs a whopping £11 per year.

There was an initial £5 deposit for a key to the site which has a fairly secure fence around but no other charges. Although every plot holder takes responsibility for maintaining the path that runs along the left-hand side of their plot, we get free woodchip delivered a couple of times a year so it's not an expense unless you want it to be. I've never heard mention of any insurance

The site is council owned but run by the plot holders' committee with little if any interference. There are no rules about structures like greenhouses/polytunnels/sheds etc. or what you can grow (within reason). We do have a small waiting list so the only real expectation is to cultivate about 2/3 by around May & not let it turn into a field of weeds (you get 2 warnings before formal eviction). We aren't allowed chickens/livestock.

There's a water tap for roughly every 2 full plots but they do get turned off out-of-season & if/when there are any hosepipe restrictions in place.

We have a handy little shed/shop for buying cost price compost, feed, canes etc. but there are only a few keyholders so it's a bit of a lottery as to whether they're around when you need something.

We also have a 'meeting shed' for the quarterly site grumbling sessions.

Reading back over this thread we've got a pretty sweet deal
    Last edited by Andraste; 08-08-2023, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MeFeinMcCabe
    replied
    Took over an allotment in the village on Monday, £20 for the year and an additional £5 per year for third party insurance.

Great value

Leave a comment:

• DeathrowGeoffro
    replied
    We're very lucky, fees are £6 full plot, £3 half plot plus £3 per member fee to the allotment association (so either £6 or £9 a year total). Anyone joining now can only get a half as its become more popular over the last 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• No_digger_57
    replied
    Ours are £31 for a half plot and an additional £4 for membership per person. Juniors members pay nothing for membership. The price includes water, off road parking with locked gate. We gave a composting toilet which although they look great in the brochures are very basic in reality. We also have a community poly tunnel where seeds are down for selling to members and after the seeds have gone members can use the space for plants.

Leave a comment:

• John A
    replied
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I knew it wouldn’t be great but thought maybe slightly more than that. I know there’s an allotment society in Falkirk where there’s a waiting list for plots so thought I’d ask the question. Myself and my 7 year old twins have just been up building a fence there for our fruit trees that will be coming in the next week or two. So that’ll keep us busy for now but not worth it for me for those kind of prices. I’ll have a wee look at other options but thank you.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Hi John at around 4 plots per acre at around £25 per plot per year, assuming you install a water supply, that's about £100/acre per year, probably not going to get wealthy on that. Now run as a community project to be an asset to your area, that could be something quite different. Question is are there any people who would wish to be allotment holders in the area, over here in Angus allotments are quite rare, there does not seem to be a demand for them, I suggest turning some common land in our village over to allotments, I was the only one that wanted one, so it didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• John A
    replied
    Hi everyone. I just registered today. I have a few acres of farm land in central Scotland(Falkirk)which isn’t currently being used for anything and I was wondering how much money could be generated roughly per acre if it was divided into allotments. I know It depend on a lot of factors, just looking for something as a guide to see if it would be worth pursuing. As far as I’m aware the ground is pretty good for growing as turnips and potatoes were grown there decades ago. Any info welcome.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• robstott
    replied
    Took ours on early 2021 - Nafferton, East Riding of Yorkshire. One off £25 deposit, then £25 per year. Plots are 6x12m. Not much in the way of facilities other than water and reasonably secure fencing. Very happy with it so far - early days, mind!
    Last edited by robstott; 28-02-2021, 06:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Grafitti
    replied
    Our allotment is private, my plot size is about 400m3, it's £30 a year base rate, no water or other amenities.
    Keeping poultry will cost double from next year so that will be £60 for me. (not a year on year increase - a one off - as it's been hardly managed for the last few years, I didn't pay for the first two years and could pick my own plot size.)
    I would pay more for water availability, I have 3x 1000L IBCs that my shed guttering connects to, and 30x 10L jerrycans that I pop in my trailer and cart water from home to there - it's only a few minutes away at least, and my house supply isn't metered..

Leave a comment:

• .commander
    replied
    Mine is 25 quid. It's 3.5m x 10m ish.

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post

That seems very cheap, actually, for such a large area of land. I know things tend to get cheaper per unit volume the more you purchase in one go, but even so.
    yes its not bad, I think officially mine is plot 52-57 or something like that ... what really means so much to me though is the fact my dad had a plot on here 50 odd years ago but I can't remeber which one it was as I wasn't very old at the time. It was near the gate where you come in and that it .

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
    Mine costs me £110 per year but its a tad over 1/3acre. No water but no restrictions either ... There was two pic sty's on it when I moved in ( only one now) and the 'shed' used to house a cow at one time !
    That seems very cheap, actually, for such a large area of land. I know things tend to get cheaper per unit volume the more you purchase in one go, but even so.

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    Mine costs me £110 per year but its a tad over 1/3acre. No water but no restrictions either ... There was two pic sty's on it when I moved in ( only one now) and the 'shed' used to house a cow at one time !

Leave a comment:

• Muddy_Boots
    replied
    Got 3 plots

Plot 1:
    Last edited by Muddy_Boots; 16-05-2020, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Mine is 110 square metres, on a fenced and locked site, for £54 a year. The council strim the paths and the vacant plots every two weeks or so in the warm months.
    Water is extra, charge each year based on consumption (total usage divided by number of plot holders), but the cost is fairly minimal. It was hot and dry last year and we used quite a lot, and the water bill only came to about £5.20 for the year.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X