Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My (half) plot has gone up this year from £55 to £70, I can't believe how little others are paying! We do have a communal shed with lockers for tools, toilets and water supply, but it's all pretty run down.

Comment

• I've just been to pick my allotment.

The cost of a half plot is £75 and a full plot is £100. There is also a £20 key deposit, and £40 admin fee for the paperwork. I'm not sure if this is reasonable as it is my first time, but for me, I believe it is still cheap considering what I get. Looking around, it seems much more expensive than most, but perhaps it is something to do with it being a council site.

There are no water fees as their is no water on site

Comment

• Mine (Sheffield) is around £112 because it includes a water supply. £72 for the 300sq mts allotment (I haven't measured it but I'm not convinced it's actually that big) and £40 for the water.

Allotment prices range from £26 to £160 but I did hear the council was considering a 7% rise this/next year.

But the 'allotments' (inverted commas because mine is little more than a tip and I spend 90% of my time moving the rubbish of the previous owner) vary considerably in quality and waiting times.

Comment

• I've never had an allotment, always had a house with a garden big enough, I have to say they don't sound either very cheap or on occasion very user friendly either these days. Lack of security of tenure and lack of decent basic facilities make me think the councils are not doing a very good job providing a much needed resource for the community.

Comment

• £15 per year for a half plot, plus a £20 once-off shed deposit if the plot has a shed on it, plus a £5 once-off key deposit. I don't know what the full plot price is unfortunately, as I just took the first plot made available to me!

For that we get the plot itself, a key, use of the stack of wheelbarrows and trolleys the allotment maintains on site, and 2 free bags of manure and/or used horse bedding each time a delivery comes in, which is about once a fortnight.

It's a private, not public, allotment and unfortunately does not have running water access. The public allotments in my town have a 7 year waiting list, but I asked to be contacted about plots for this private space in around June and took it on two weeks ago, which isn't bad.

Comment

• I have an approximately half sized plot on a site of 16 similar plots. There is no water supply, although we have intercepted a surface water drain line running at the edge of the site and sunk an old bath into the hole. There is no restriction on erecting sheds, greenhouses or polytunnels.
              It is owned by the local authority and the charge for the whole site is £10 per year.
              We each pay £1 and build a surplus leading to a free year, plus a one off £3 refundable key deposit.

Comment

• Any pictures whiskywill?

Comment

• Hello and welcome, whiskywill. Sounds like you've all got yourself a bargain. Roughly whereabouts is your allotment site?

Plus, I'm intrigued by the surface drain. Do you know where the water comes from? It's definitely safe...

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    Any pictures whiskywill?
                    Only before and after weeding photos.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      Hello and welcome, whiskywill. Sounds like you've all got yourself a bargain. Roughly whereabouts is your allotment site?

Plus, I'm intrigued by the surface drain. Do you know where the water comes from? It's definitely safe...
                      In the small South Wales village of Gilfach Goch.

The surface water drain is from road run-off. The roads are generally lightly used and there is no evidence of pollution such as oil etc. and has been used for at least twenty years without any problem.

Comment

• Croeso Will

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Croeso Will
                          Diolch!!!!!!

Comment

• Looks lovely, WW, especially bathed in that South Wales sun.

Comment

• Originally posted by whiskywill View Post
                              In the small South Wales village of Gilfach Goch.

The surface water drain is from road run-off. The roads are generally lightly used and there is no evidence of pollution such as oil etc. and has been used for at least twenty years without any problem.
                              CORRECTION. I was talking to one of the older plot holders last weekend and he told me that the water is mountain run off, so it's clean apart from a bit of sheep manure. He should know as he worked for the local council and remembers they once used some tracer dye to find out where the water was coming from.

Comment

• ^Couldn't be better, then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X