This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning

Good to see you Jay xx the weathers all over the place its like the seasons have been mixed up. Some gardening today plants have been bashed about a fair bit and overhanging paths.

Enjoy your day.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      One thing I found online was that some people made pastry cases two days in advance and left to go hard before filling. Maybe that's why I don't remember them having the usual hot water pastry texture. Do you remember from your bakery days, rary, what your baker did?
      As I remember it Snoop the pastry was made in advance, put into a stainless steel tub and kept in a cold room, and if I remember correctly when required the pastry was empted out onto a table and the individual amounts per pie was cut off and put into a pie mould, it was all done manually so one man cut, another pressed the pie mould and a woman made the lids, there was very little waste from the process, the pie cases were then put on to boards and placed on mobile racks and again put in the fold room as said all manual and hundreds of pies made along with the rolls, bread and cakes, pies were what you might call a staple food in those days, and I doubt if anyone would do such work in this country nowadays
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good Morning All Windy enough to dry my washing of the rain holds off. Have a good day
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning all. Special hello to Jay.

Bet you can hear my brain doing calculations. Rary, aged twelve, no televisions in those days... that would have been how far back, making Rary how many years old? No, better rephrase that, making Rary how many years young? No, better just stop the calculations altogether.

Mr Snoop currently outside, pruning branches off an olive tree with a chainsaw. Olive trees grow too vigorously, frankly. Me, I'm pretending to work. Better make a proper start soon.

The main event of the day is a meeting of the fiestas committee. I've managed to avoid all the organisational ones so far, but now the real work is starting and I'd better show my face. Looks like they've got a lot planned and my life will not be my own for the next two weeks. The first activity is tapas for hundreds of people, prepared by a dozen and served in a small, fenced in kids' playground... There's uproar in the WhatsApp group among the dozen volunteers over the committee chair constantly having more tickets printed without thinking about the logistics of providing the food. Perhaps I should have gone to the organisational meetings after all. Mind you, I've at least managed to prevent accidents by persuading them not to buy pilates balls for teenagers to chuck about at an event where toddlers are carried on their parents' shoulders.

Right on with the show. Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning all and surprise....we have som sunshine.
            The laundry is out and I am now going to my line dancing.
            Hopefully, if the weather stays dry I will be 8n the garden for the afternoon..

Enjoy the rest of the holiday with your little grandaughter Nicos.
            You will find the house so quiet when she's gone.

Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Apparently it's Yorkshire Day today. Thought that was every day

Comment

• I’m fancying Yorkshire pudding now Flo!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Morning all. Special hello to Jay.

Bet you can hear my brain doing calculations. Rary, aged twelve, no televisions in those days... that would have been how far back, making Rary how many years old? No, better rephrase that, making Rary how many years young? No, better just stop the calculations altogether. .
                  Good self advice there Snoop, and my advice is, listen to it
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                    Good self advice there Snoop, and my advice is, listen to it
                    I did, rary, I did. I know my place when it comes to my elders and betters...

Comment

• Good Morning All Raining here. Frank has just arrived Have a good day

Comment

• Morning

Rain here as well Flo so a good day to spend indoors plus doing a bit of seed sowing in the GH.

Enjoy your day
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.

Rain here, not the common or garden variety, but the driving, torrential sort. It woke me up twice in the night banging against the windows.

Where on earth is it all coming from? I can't remember a wetter Summer.

We're going care home visiting this morning.

Comment

• Morning all.

Meeting of the fiestas committee last night was hilarious and depressing at the same time. Last year they had 22 people on the committee. This year they have nine, plus a councillor trying to keep the show on the road but won't actually be doing any work. I left after two hours of them discussing the shopping list for the tapas event they've organised. Four hundred tickets have been sold but doubtless more people will turn up. As far as I can tell, three women will be making the tapas themselves. I've said I'll work at the bar (probably 11.30 pm till 5.00 am or so every night for several days). They couldn't believe their luck that I'd volunteer for that. Me, I'm just relieved I'm not being roped into making the tapas or serving them.

Massively busy day ahead. Probably just as well. It'll take my mind off the mayhem that starts this Saturday.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

I did, rary, I did. I know my place when it comes to my elders and betters...
                              That statement is on the balance Snoop, definitely suspect the betters bit, as for the elders bit, not so sure about that​​​​​​
                              Now it's up to you to work out if I think you are old, or I think I am close to your age

Comment

• Good morning, raining at present, with a temperature of 14c. so won't be doing much today, though I will be taking one of the grandsons to a gala in Kilmarnock, he is a member of a volunteer group who help out at such things, I thought it would be cancelled due to the poor weather conditions but it's going ahead, hope you all have a good day whatever the weather

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X