This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
    Snoop, I'd think the sugar and alcohol would keep the mincemeat healthy if it's been 'fridged. When I was young jams, chutneys, pickles and mincemeat weren't ever 'fridged. We didn't have one!
    Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks, GF.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
      Bren the pies I am referring to are what I think are called Scoch pies in England, they are about 4inch diameter and filled with beef mince, they are great with beans
      They sound good Rary do you have a favourite recipe you could share.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
        Snoop, I'd think the sugar and alcohol would keep the mincemeat healthy if it's been 'fridged. When I was young jams, chutneys, pickles and mincemeat weren't ever 'fridged. We didn't have one!
        I agree with GF.
        I’m sure when I was kid the mince pies were on the stone slab in the larder until nearly Easter.

Comment

• Just come home after a lovely walk through the woods in the rain and visiting a small 12th century ruined fortified dwelling - then a homemade pizza picnic …all in the rain. At least it’s warm rain

I bought loads of jars of mince meat just before Brexit as I knew I wouldn’t be able to get it here( because of the suet) and lo and behold I can now get the veggie/ vegan one instead!
          Opened jars have lasted months and months with no problems.

Is this the pie you are talking about Rary?

https://scottishscran.com/authentic-scotch-pie-recipe/

There are other lovely recipes on there too….the creamy haggis pasta one actually made my mouth water! Typical though that I can’t get haggis here

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I used to love Scotch pies. Weirdly enough I've bought lamb empanadas in Mallorca at Easter which were very, very similar, made with hot water pastry. Some were just lamb and some had peas in too. They looked identical but the lamb and pea ones had a pea on top so you knew which you were buying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post

I bought loads of jars of mince meat just before Brexit as I knew I wouldn’t be able to get it here( because of the suet) and lo and behold I can now get the veggie/ vegan one instead!
              Nicos can you buy fresh suet from a local butcher over there. I once spent a few months working in a butchers shop when I was young and I know it is the hard fat from around the kidneys (beef) and it is solid and easy to grate. Having said this the last time I made mincemeat I used vegetarian suet as I was making some for one of my sisters and one of my nieces who are both veggies. I couldn't tell the difference. The main taste was "fruity booze"

Comment

• Good call gf…I’ll ask them!

Comment

• Snoop the Scotch pie is a meal on its own, but when you are 12 years of age 1 is definitely not enough, believe me every ounce of the pies got burned off, as in those days there were no televisions to sit and watch, we ran everywhere, the only time you walked was when your mother had you by the scruff of the neck, to hold you in check, 10 or 12 was just a wee shiverin bite and yes Nicos those are the type of pies but that pastry isn't right as it was a thin firm pie case, though if I was offered one like that I would eat it, Bren the pies that Nicos added are the ones I am referring to as for recipes the only one I knew was heat and eat, preferably with a tin of baked beans need to go and collect my grandson from his work enjoy the rest of the day
                  Last edited by rary; 31-07-2023, 03:35 PM.
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                    and yes Nicos those are the type of pies but that pastry isn't right as it was a thin firm pie case, though if I was offered one like that I would eat it
                    Yes, I found that recipe too and was surprised to see hot water crust pastry. I've only ever had them with shortcrust pastry, as I recall, though perhaps shortcrust pastry made with lard. Even so, they're on my growing list of things to make. Mind you, the list is already so long I doubt I'll be able to get to the end of it.

Edited to say: Well, maybe we're wrong, rary. All the recipes I've found online have hot water crust pastry.
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 31-07-2023, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Don't know what kind of pastry is used for a traditional Scotch pie , but do know its very good​​​
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Back in the "bad" old days (1970s) my friend's mother used to bring us Scotch pies from her favourite butchers in Hamilton, Scotland to the Isle of Man. They were gorgeous and I was probably still young and active enough to have an appetite like Rary. I'm sure they were hot water pastry.

I've never yet tried to make it ..... but I do keep threatening to have a go.

Comment

• Evening

Nicos that’s the recipe I found as well, I asked Rary incase he’d got a recipe that was near to the original one.

Comment

• One thing I found online was that some people made pastry cases two days in advance and left to go hard before filling. Maybe that's why I don't remember them having the usual hot water pastry texture. Do you remember from your bakery days, rary, what your baker did?

Comment

• Evening all, hope you are all well. Had our son staying for a few days so that’s been lovely.
                              What is with this weather? Is the sun returning any time soon. Woke up this morning and thought it was about 3am, it was 6 and so dark!
                              Rary, is the filling in a Scotch Pie not mutton?
                              Enjoy the rest of your evening folks! x
                              sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Wow…that was a night of periods of amazingly heavy rain . I’ll go and check the plant damage after breakfast but I can see loads of plums on the floor.

It’s lovely having family stay isn’t it Jay?…we’re coming to the end of the two week stay of our daughter and granddaughter. Tiring but wonderful at the same time. Precious moments.

Just realised!…August !….August?…with rain like this?…I suppose it’s better than 40C though. Shouldn't complain At least we’re not located in a flood zone.

Right…I can hear the little’un us awake…

Enjoy your day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X