Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips are welcome when I’m in agony with cramp! Thanks for sharing.

We ended up walking around a local village which was the main village for this area in medieval times , boasting a gaol and holding cells, a lawyer/ judge a market place, tannery, mill , wash house( next to the stream) a chateau and Manor House etc etc. right by the side of the stream we spotted a young children’s play area with picnic tables under the shelter of trees so we had a rest and a picnic. Brill day.
    We also had fun collecting veg…and our little’un collected over 20 large edible snails munching their way through the french bean patch. They went for a nice trip to about 1/2 a mile away…..
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Always nice to look at the garden Rary….
      what’s that poem?…

Leisure
      by
      William Henry Davies
      What is this life if, full of care,
      We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
      And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
      Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
      Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
      And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
      Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
      We have no time to stand and stare.
      Here is mine as you have asked - I once went for tea with an old flame - the venue was by the river and we had tea and scones with a china teapot and plates and hanging on a tree was this poem in a laminated pocket.
      I hope you like it.

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why”

BY EDNA ST. VINCENT MILLAY
      What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,

I have forgotten, and what arms have lain

Under my head till morning; but the rain

Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh

Upon the glass and listen for reply,

And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain

For unremembered lads that not again

Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.

Thus in the winter stands the lonely tree,

Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,

Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:

I cannot say what loves have come and gone,

I only know that summer sang in me

A little while, that in me sings no more.
      Last edited by mrsbusy; 28-07-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Gosh ^^^ that’s really quite touching isn’t it? Not heard that before. Thanks for sharing x

Comment

• Sorry about the abrupt stop in last post, had to go and collect GS as he stops an hour earlier on a Friday, anyway back on to let Nicos know that I consider that one of the best poems for good advice, as for my favourite poem it has to be the Cotters Saturday Night, it reminds me so much of a time in my childhood,
          I wish you all a pleasant evening, and take care
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
            Tis fish Friday for us! We get a 20%discount on fresh fish on Fridays so we take advantage but I only get fish from UK waters so it's always Cornish Hake or farmed trout. The rest of the week we eat vegetarian.
            My go to menu was fish n chips but....opting for a healthier option we had fish curry today. ( We do not eat a big meal after lunch - it's our main meal then a light supper at about 7.30pm)
            I have grown a chillie pepper plant which is meant to be a Ghost pepper. However the fruits on this one - overwintered I might add - are green plus one red. However. I needed a chili for the fish curry so I took one green one off. Which I tasted a tiny portion. When I recovered I put the whole chili in the sauce but strictly advised MrB to avoid eating it. We are still speaking to each other but needed lots of cider to calm the chili effect.
            Sorry! I can't stop laughing.😂🤣🙂🤪

Comment

• Lovely poem Rary!

http://www.robertburnsfederation.com...ations/470.htm
              Hope you don’t mind me adding the ‘translation’

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
                PS would anyone like a very strong chillie plant?
                ha ha!
                add the dried chillies to oil and use a small amount drizzled on pizzas etc! yum!

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                  Tis weekend again!…boy they certainly come around quickly

Whats everyone up to this weekend? We have more rain here so I’m not sure as yet….

Enjoy your day ….I’ve just spotted the smiles flying overhead….
                  Last edited by Nicos; 29-07-2023, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Morning all.

Not surprised the smiles were out and about early, Nicos. Flying the loop the loop I imagine. My toy (dough sheeter) arrived yesterday... Oh my goodness, I said as part of it emerged from one of the boxes. That's industrial quality, said Mr Snoop when he saw the main bit. Even the people at the company that takes deliveries for us were intrigued. Possibly the first time anything has arrived with Japan written all over the box (though I bought it from my Spanish flour supplier). So he told them what it was. So we're all on tenterhooks now to see the results. Sadly, I hadn't thought it was coming till Monday at the earliest, so not very geared up for it, time or ingredient-wise. Plus the freezer has already got a bag of chocolate and orange magdalenas in it. But we've got another delivery to pick up next week, so will make pains aux raisins for us and the people at the company.

Right, that's enough for one paragraph.

Off for another Saturday night out tonight. Should be interesting. The music is billed as rap. Not my cup of tea. The woman who runs the bar/restaurant told me the music will start of 'tranquila' earlier on but will be full blast at midnight. Rap is hard to imagine in this particular farming village, population maybe 400, average age, probably about 60. But they're a very open-minded bunch, so it's going to be interesting. Maybe it's not rap as we know it, Jim.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

It looks like being a fine day here so I'll be hanging out the laundry soon.

Snoop i now know what a dough sheeter is I even watched a video, they look impressive and you'll have lots of uses for it. Enjoy your evening I'm not a rap fan either but happy to listen to any music really.

Nicos no real plans today just the usual, gardening, shopping and house stuff to do.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good Morning All Fine here so far, but cloudy. I'm trying my usual sausage rolls in the Air Fryer today. My eldest son is coming today, so he can be the guinea pig Have a good day
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.

I thought I was doing rather well this morning but then a few gremlins jumped in the works.😈

I had a load of washing in the washer early this morning but one of the items in there was a new green top that I wore a few days ago. Some of my washing is now an unexpected and not particularly fetching shade of turquoise! 🤯

I have already taken a batch of blackberry buns out of the oven but they looked "slightly" overdone. I then noticed the oven was set at gas 8 not gas 6!😳 I'm sure they 'll be ok..........🤫

The bread is out of the breadmaker and cooling and....touch wood ......looks okay.

I'm now wondering what I dare touch next.

I had to google a dough sheeter too. They look interesting. Keep a camera handy, Snoop, to show us your results.

There's no rain in the forecast but I'm not convinced. That would add insult to injury for my turquoise washing.

Comment

• Back again. I must say the buns are fine. We had early elevenses, just to check.

The saga of the washing is getting weird however. I glanced out of the window and a weird looking skinny man was unpegging an old tea towel from my washing line, yes one of the now turquoisish ones. I banged on the window and he stopped and ran away.

Comment

• Good morning all,
                              All quite here so no excitement in this neck of the woods.

Snoop, I had to Google a dough sheeter, looks very interesting.
                              Enjoy the rap music, I'm sure it will be good.

GF, I unintentionally dyed some white socks belonging to my hubby.
                              He put them in the washing machine with a coloured wash and they are now pink.
                              I cant see him wearing pink socks.

Have a good dsy all and enjoy the sunshine, those who are lucky enough to have it.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good morning, had a bit of a disturbed sleep last night, most unusual for me, though it did feel very warm, been out with the dogs, sadly Daisy is getting noticeably slower, so just short walks for her now, when I got back up to daughters my grandson gad made a roll with sausage, so I had that then got some washing hung out, now going to sit and have a red of a book, as it looks like we will have rain shortly. Hope you have a good day and smile
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X