• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    Lovely poem Rary!

http://www.robertburnsfederation.com...ations/470.htm
    Hope you don’t mind me adding the ‘translation’
    No I don't mind Nicos, to me it doesn't translate as it I would view it, poetry tells a story, but it's not much good if you don't understand it, as for the poem itself, I have recited it at several Burns nights and of course when you are doing that you you do it from memory, without notes
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• It's now very sunny, but blowing hard - wish I'd done the bedding. Sausage rolls are as good as when done in the oven and in half the time. I'm going to try sponge cake next week, though only six inch cake tins will fit. Big enough for us I suppose - less waste
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Do you know what I've taken to doing, Flo? Make both layers of a cake and then freeze one and eat the other. Saves waste and, for us, calories. Also handy to have a cake you can bring out at the drop of a hat if you need one, as it will thaw really quickly. Works especially well with something like a chocolate cake, as the filling can become the topping, like a fudge cake or sachertorte.

I have to say thanks to Nicos - it was her who suggested freezing cakes to me.

Comment

• Evening

We took the dry laundry in just before lunchtime then not 5 minutes later we had heavy rain
          Good timing
          GF that was odd/scary that someone took your tea towel let’s hope he doesn’t come back.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Has anyone any idea if a frozen cake posted in Spain would keep till delivered in Scotland 🤔😁
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Thanks Snoop I do freeze cake (lemon drizzle, coconut, banana loaf) in case my GG needs one at short notice. Never tried sponge, though I have noticed you have half a cake sometimes. I'll give it a go. How was the rap?

Comment

• Still sunny here Bren

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  Thanks Snoop I do freeze cake (lemon drizzle, coconut, banana loaf) in case my GG needs one at short notice. Never tried sponge, though I have noticed you have half a cake sometimes. I'll give it a go. How was the rap?
                  Sponge freezes brilliantly. Well, Mary Berry's chocolate fudge cake sponge does, but I imagine they all do. I freeze without topping or filling. Doesn't take long to make that and I'm not sure how it would cope with the freezing process.

Oh, just checked and Nigella's website suggests freezing cake and topping separately, but both will freeze: https://www.nigella.com/ask/freezing...ate-fudge-cake Useful.

Not been to the rap yet. I'll let you know. Due to leave shortly. Must remember to take a cardie. A bit of a chilly breeze last time.
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 29-07-2023, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                    Has anyone any idea if a frozen cake posted in Spain would keep till delivered in Scotland 🤔😁
                    You'll laugh at this, rary, but I did actually look to see how quickly post could be delivered to you from where my brother lives in the north of England. It would perhaps be a go-er...

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      Still sunny here Bren
                      It’s been sunny here since that late morning rain Flo just now it’s the best part of the day.

Comment

• Morning all.

All the makings of a scorching hot day out there today. Me, I'm already ensconced in the basement, though I will have to make forays out to make bread in a bit.

The rap was not what I'd call rap and I'm not even an expert. Several hours of eighties and nineties music played very quietly by a Spanish guy 'DJing' with a laptop computer, followed by what Mr Snoop called 'karaoke rap', the same Spanish guy singing two or three unexceptional numbers over a loud backing track, followed by more songs from the nineties, played even louder. There was a large group of people in their twenties having a birthday party. They loved it. And why shouldn't they? Not my cup of tea, though, nor that of all the other oldies there, who paid and left the youngsters to it.

So, a busyish day today. Paid work, bread making and a possible trial run of the dough sheeter. I'll certainly unpack it and give it all a wash. One option might be to get up very early in the morning tomorrow when it's a bit cooler, so pastry won't suffer in the warmth. It's all hand operated so no need for the sun to be up and the solar panels to be going full pelt.

Right, on with the show. Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Good morning, rain here at present, just reading Snoops post makes you realise how music changes with every new generation, where us younger folk enjoy a completely different type of music from the older folk, I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, I don't expect I will be doing much in the garden today with this weather, so will take things easy before going to church in a couple of hours or so, enjoy your day, (I wonder what happened to the great music from the likes of Bill Haley, Chubby Checker and Co now that was music
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Morning

Snoop hope the evening was still enjoyable even though it wasn't your type of music. Rary its raining here as well and looks like being here for the day, not that it matters we'll be indoors decorating.

enjoy your day

Comment

• Good Morning All Thanks for the link Snoop. That music wouldn't appeal to me either. Just starting to rain here and very clammy. Have a lovely Sunday

Comment

• Good morning all.

Not my music either. In answer to your question Rary, Bill Halley, Chubby Checker etc are all happily on USB memory sticks here that we play in the car, alongside Queen, the Beatles, etc. All kinds of mainly 50's, 60's and 70's music.

It has just started to rain here....... for a change. Showers interspersed with sunny intervals seems to be today's forecast, well actually the forecast for the whole of next week. We've got a strong wind too today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X