Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning All Sun is shining but it's still very cold. Frank sitting for a couple of hours today. Have a good day All
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Morning

Breakfast is over with and the slow cookers on next I'll be in the garden probably cutting down the raspberry canes.

Enjoy your day.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning. Another grey day but accompanied by a bitter wind today. Brrrrrr!!!

I feel absolutely shattered this morning as I hardly slept last night.

Before I can make another yoghurt, cherry and almond cake I need some more almond extract if I want it to be exactly the same. It's so many years since I bought the last bottle I can't remember where I bought it however.

No big plans for today, maybe I'll do some baking.

Comment

• Good morning all.
          dull and grey but its dry.
          Off to church shortly and then grandson is coming for lunch.
          Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good Morning All Sunny again but perishing cold. Have a lovely Sunday

Comment

• Afternoon n’alln’all
              Well..it is afternoon here!
              I’m making an effort to be a Domestic Goddess today…not succeeding very well but every bit helps eh?

gf…I buy my NielsenMassey almond essence from Tesco or Sainsbury’s when I’m over. It has a lovely rounded flavour.
              It took me many years to enjoy almond flavour as I always found it a bit acrid and bitter. (Te he…I wasn't surprised when I read in a Miss Marple book that cyanide smells of almond)
              Even now I don’t particularly like the smell ( eg in washing up liquid) but I really love munching on almonds and chomping my way through almond cake and biscuits. Clearly an acquired taste for me.

OH has just been baking bread this morning, so we’ve just been having a brunch experience….’ Compare the breads’ Yum!

Brew time over…best get that washing machine earning its living…..

Enjoy your day peeps…see ya later!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Youngest son is washing his car taking advantage of my outside tap. Good job the hose pipe ban has been lifted. I'd better get the washing up done but feeling quite lazy today

Comment

• Flo…I’m not surprised you feel ‘lazy’ today…you’ve had an emotionally exhausting week x
                  Give yourselves a bit of time to gently recharge.
                  Do you have an estate to wind up? Not sure if you are aware but my mom died during lockdown two years ago and we’re still waiting for the lawyers to finish off their ‘stuff’ . And yes, it was only a very small estate, and yes, it’s still very stressful… exhaustingly so
                  Last edited by Nicos; 29-01-2023, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Afternoon all.

Late on parade. Have been spending a bit of time reading about broad beans. I had decided against growing them because of weevils and bumblebees damaging the flowers. But am now rethinking that. The weevil population has dropped dramatically and surely I can support bumblebees...? It's very windy where I'm thinking of sowing them, but maybe a dwarf variety might be a good idea. The Sutton maybe? Anybody got any views?

Had a nice day yesterday. Fingers crossed for the same again today. Going to be colder, though, by the look of it. No snow, say the forecasts. Very thick low clouds, though.

The kitchen is a bit smelly today. I'm making chicken stock. Not a very appealing smell, as far as I'm concerned, but the elderly cat is in and out like a yo-yo. I'll be glad when it's finished and I can leave it outside to cool.

Wave for me at the smiles as they go flying by. I missed them again this morning. I'll set the alarm earlier maybe not next week (even colder nights forecast) but the week after. Really must start making some headway in the garden.

Right, on with the usual show. Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post

gf…I buy my NielsenMassey almond essence from Tesco or Sainsbury’s when I’m over. It has a lovely rounded flavour.
                      It took me many years to enjoy almond flavour as I always found it a bit acrid and bitter. (Te he…I wasn't surprised when I read in a Miss Marple book that cyanide smells of almond)
                      Even now I don’t particularly like the smell ( eg in washing up liquid) but I really love munching on almonds and chomping my way through almond cake and biscuits. Clearly an acquired taste for me.
                      Acquired taste for me too. As a child I remember I couldn't stand almond paste or marzipan on fruit cake and my sister didn't like actual fruit cake so we used to share. ...I still don't like marzipan. The first thing I actually liked almonds in was bakewell tart. This is probably why the almond extract has been in the cupboard for years...probably just as well I didn't look for a best before date before using it.

Comment

• MIL did make a will Nicos and made my youngest son the Executor, so he will handle it, hopefully making it stress free for Himself and I. She pre paid her funeral too bless her

Comment

• Good afternoon, was at church this morning, where we than had a cup of tea after the service, there's one every last Sunday of the month, so have been running a bit late after that, had intended planting some tulip bulbs but unfortunately OH had some bookkeeping to do so if she is doing that I have to sit and help her with it, once she was finished and gave me permission to move🙄 the rain was on, so no garden work done, it is now cold, wet and dark, we have the lights on already, OH has just complained about being cold, so ever the gentleman I have offered to help warm her up, so have been told to turn up the central heating, which is not what I was thinking of doing😒 how ever getting close to tea time so need to go and prepare for that, just looking out the window the rain is quite heavy, which makes me think on Flo mentioning a hose ban, I think the last hose ban we had here would be about 1973 there may have been others but I can't remember them as there never seems a long enough period without rain, so anyone wanting water I am quite willing to send them some rain. Well enjoy you coming week and remember, pass on some smiles
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Evening all.
                            Had a peaceful quiet day today.

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Acquired taste for me too. As a child I remember I couldn't stand almond paste or marzipan on fruit cake and my sister didn't like actual fruit cake so we used to share. ...I still don't like marzipan. The first thing I actually liked almonds in was bakewell tart. This is probably why the almond extract has been in the cupboard for years...probably just as well I didn't look for a best before date before using it.
                            I have a bottle of Nielsen Massey rose water essence, bought to make Turkish delight. I only made it a couple of times as it's such a faff to make properly. Since then I just have a couple of drops in coffee now and then. The bottle is nearly empty and I happened to glance at the BBE date when I made a coffee yesterday.......use by Feb 2020.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Oh the shame of it. I did say it had been in the cupboard for ever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230129_193936.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	2557048
                              Even I am slightly surprised! It tasted great though.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Ha ha ha gf!…just goes to show eh?
                                I’m actually going through tins/ homemade jams etc which are out of date. Currently eating my daughter’s beef from the freezer 2019…the last load we brought back pre Brexit . Of course we are being cautious

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X