This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening

It’s been a good drying day here as well GF.
    I’ve spent the day between the garden and kitchen mostly in the garden though ​​​​​​ only indoors to process apples. Still plenty more left on the trees they’ll keep for another day.

enjoy your evening.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

Yesterday they forecast rain for us today. Today they are not, nor for the next two weeks at least. Pah!

Got a busy day ahead. Guess who didn't do as much over the weekend as she should have done...? I know a lot more about making panettone and stollen than I did on Friday, though. That's about all I have to show for a whole weekend. Hopeless.

Anyway, need to get my skates on this week, so better get on with things.

Hope you all have a great day today.

Comment

• Good morning all.

I must say we are really pleased with the new quilt cover and pillowcases. The brushed cotton really felt nice and warm and soft. In future I won't even iron the pillowcases as they really don't need it. Completely unnecessary. I've obviously changed over the years as in the 70s I remember my grandma giving me some of the cotton sheets she'd got for wedding presents (still in their original packaging) in the dim and distant past as she said I was the only person she knew who would appreciate them and bother to iron them. They're long worn out now but were excellent quality. Mr GF's comment to the new quilt was "I think you should get some sheets in the same sort of material." I have been looking at sheets but I want fitted ones and they have to be deep as we have a thick mattress... I've still got that awful memory of the early bri-nylon fitted sheets that wouldn't stay in place. Nearly as bad as crimplene dresses.

Chilly and windy here again this morning and no sign of the sun yet but I live in hope.

Off to make more coffee.

Comment

• Morning

Glad to hear you're happy with your new bedding GF, for fitted sheets have you looked a stretch jersey cotton we use those in wintertime they feel snug and warm. Lots of places have them for sale.

Last night it was a warm 11.5c in my GH not much warmer now but then suns out so there's hope.

Enjoy your day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            Morning

Glad to hear you're happy with your new bedding GF, for fitted sheets have you looked a stretch jersey cotton we use those in wintertime they feel snug and warm. Lots of places have them for sale.

Last night it was a warm 11.5c in my GH not much warmer now but then suns out so there's hope.

Enjoy your day.
            Thanks for that idea Bren. For some reason I was thinking that rough fingernails etc could catch in them and pull. (probably memories of the awful bri-nylon again) or that being stretchy they wouldn't stay tucked under at the edges....just the corners.
            Last edited by greenishfing; 17-10-2022, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
              Dry but windy here.
              We have 23C forecast for Wednesday so we’re off in the camper overnight again.
              All the rain and warmer days have encouraged the weeds in the gravel driveway to shoot up. So I guess that’s going to be added to my list of ongoing garden jobs Hopefully the falling leaves will hide them
              The garden, although a bit of a mess , has finally greened up beautifully and the autumn leaves are starting to kick in. At sunset yesterday the sun was making some of the trees glow as if on fire. Absolutely stunning.
              Such a pretty time of year.

I still have loads more apples to freeze down Bren. Also some to box up and store. It’s very satisfying isn’t it?

Talking of ironing…..I really should get some of the guest bedding ironed - I’ll be needing it again soon.

Enjoy your day peeps!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• A very frustrating morning here. I've spent a total of well over two hours trying to get through to doctors and dentists to book or change appointments. The worst thing of all is the mind numbing music inbetween the sporadic announcement of you are number xxx in the queue. As for "Your call is very important to us", who are they trying to kid. If it was really very important they would employ more staff.

Never mind, time to chill now as I got the results that I wanted.

Comment

• Afternoon all,not bad weather here again, i have been in the poly tunnel,doing a bit of tidy up,and tom picking,going to take a drive to B&Q,see whats about for my small hanging planters,i want to brighten up the side of my home for the winter,have a good afternoon,
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Evening

GF we’ve not had a problem with the jersey fitted sheets only use them in winter as a bonus they do dry fairly quick not like winceyette.
                    Nicos sadly our apples don’t store above a couple of weeks, it’s a desert apple Worcester Permian that’s why I juice, dehydrate or freeze. They also get used in pies jams and chutney so none get waisted.

No one leaves our house without a bag full

Comment

• Morning all.

We have a couple of cotton jersey sheets. They get a bit stretchy and I don't much like the crumples. That said, I am a bit princess and the pea-ish. Mr Snoop says they're grand. Me, I'd much rather have a flat cotton sheet, but they are more of a nuisance when making the bed. Not as bad as quilt covers, though.

It's nice and bright today but it felt a bit chilly first thing. The smiles were fluttering up and down to warm up before setting off to inspect the light mist up the valley on their way to yours.

Busy day ahead for me, so better get a move on.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Where is everyone? Is someone handing out free £ somewhere?

Your mentioning of sending people home with a bag of apples Bren reminds me of an experience my mom encountered when visiting family in Florida. Everyone had orange trees in their gardens and , as ever, all the neighbours and friends had gluts.
                        When they nipped out in the car they’d come back to at least a couple of crates of oranges on their doorstop No note. Just neighbours grabbing the opportunity of getting rid of their excess. Thing is, over the years they’d got to recognise who’s oranges were which from their appearance and flavour. Needless to say , some were more welcome than others - eaters, juicers, marmalades…..
                        Mostly only happened when there was no car in the drive , which was so funny. Everyone was doing it. You can an imagine peeps peering out of windows , twitching curtains, to see who had just driven off!
                        Not saying you are doing that Bren - I’m sure your gift is really appreciated- but I thought that Florida story was so funny.

Off out now so see ya later peeps - overnighting in the camper!
                        Enjoy your day!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Just wanted to say thank you to Mr Bones for sorting out my show photos for me. Oh and I "liked" one of my own to say thank you to him, not to vote for myself, so a mod might want to remove that haha!
                          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• HI everyone,late start again,but did have a lovely sleep,the sun is out nice and bright,so will ambush a few weeds,and plant some things i got yesterday,Nicos that was funny,maybe this year was a first on the vine of nobody having a glut of courgette ,i cannot enter the comp again,as i still got to be shown how to sort out pics and down size,them,my head is in other places again,for the good i hope,have a good afternoon all
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Good afternoon,

All this talk of gluts reminds me of the reason we got our first breadmaker. We were at a party at my sister's. One of her neighbours who we had never met before said she was getting rid of her breadmaker. Mr GF of course said "We'll take it". Shortly afterwards she brought it over to us. Evidently the neighbour asked my sister who we were and my sister replied " They're the couple who give us all fruit and veg". We didn't realise we were giving her so much that she was giving lots to her neighbours.

A productive morning all in all. I took Mr GF to the dentists and then called at his brother's who had got an invitation for a covid jab in the post. He is partially sighted and only has one eye but recently got new glasses which seem to have helped him. He was mesmerised when I sat and booked his appointment there and then on the internet on my phone and got confirmation by text straight away. He is now wondering if he could use a smartphone. I have told him that when I get a new one for Christmas he is welcome to my old one to play around with for as long as he wants, or it dies, before deciding whether he wants one of his own. I have also tested out that I can get his rollator (walking aid) in the back seat of the car, along with him, as it will make his life much easier. I can. It would of course fit in the boot but unfortunately the boot is full!

Comment

• Morning, still pitch black outside and windy. Rain arriving later. Not much on the cards today, will see what comes up. Coffee is on, help yourself, think I’ll go back to bed until the sun gets up. Catch you later. x
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X