Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great news about your hair too gf!…yip yip!

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

According to the weather forecasts, the whole of Spain is going to get a good drenching. Except our bit. We're due a tiddly bit of drizzle, maybe, if we're lucky, fingers crossed.

Have taken the day off today and have a busy weekend ahead. So no work for three days! Amazing. Got a friend coming round for lunch today, but with any luck I'll be able to squeeze in a visit to see the new doctor beforehand. Easy-peasy lunch planned already, so should be doable if I can get an early enough appointment.

Midday the firewood delivery is at last arriving. From the price quoted, it won't be a full winter's load by any stretch of the imagination. But it's a start.

Have a great day. Especially you, LD. The smiles were reading everyone's posts over my shoulder this morning and there was a lot of excited twittering when we reached yours, LD. I think you'll be getting an extra special delivery today.

Comment

• Morning Snoop! * passes over spare mug of tea as OH is still in the land of nod.
        You deserve some time off work - especially if you have logs to stack! We had 11 cubic metres delivered. We normally get through 8 but want to be more dependant on the wood fires and tick over the central heading at about 13C.
        Good luck at the Drs
        Last edited by Nicos; 21-10-2022, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• Good morning. The aroma emanating from the trusty breadmaker has just reached me and is driving my tastebuds wild. I'd set it off overnight. I'm thinking a nice potted meat and tomato sandwich for lunch later.

It is proper Autumn weather here, grey, dank and drizzling. I can't remember when I saw the sun last. I'm not over fond of dark mornings but I find dark evenings even more depressing so I'm not looking forward to the clocks going back. For some reason I's got it into my head that it was this weekend so I've got a week's reprieve.

A very old friend of my husband's (age 95) rang me yesterday wanting to know how to make breadcrumbs. After ascertaining that he had a food processor I told him just to put the bread in and zap it. He was so thrilled when he rang me five minutes later having succeeded and wanting to know how to get them to stick. I was apologising to him for not giving any apples yet to a local community centre that makes and serves cheap meals for pensioners. It turns out I have.....just not directly. One of my allotment neighbours, who I had told to help herself, has taken some up there.

I'll be picking up my brother in law in just over an hour to take him for his covid jab. Time for another coffee first I think.

Comment

• I was just wondering Snoop and Nicos, do your wood burners stay in all night or do you have to relight them every morning? We once had an ancient one that wouldn't last overnight unless of course our border collie decided it was getting too cold for him (he slept next to it) and woke us up at silly o'clock to feed it more logs. Although I was cursing him at five in the morning I was happy when I eventually got up.
            Last edited by greenishfing; 21-10-2022, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Gf- our cottage Esse wood stove needs topping up once during the night. I rarely sleep through the night without a trip to the loo so it doesn’t take much just to throw on a couple of extra logs.
              Our main woodfire in our lounge ( 50cm) will slumber happily and a quick high burn first thing cleans off most of the black on the glass

We do put aside a few well seasoned oak or very knotted logs for night burning, so that helps.

I love that your dog was a walking thermostat! Not daft are they?

I have a feeling that some stoves aren’t actually supposed to be slumbered overnight?

Comment

• Morning

Its misty/foggy and damp here rains due at lunchtime onwards, so a good day to be baking bread.

We light our stove in the evening when we go in that room but it aften feels warm to the touch next morning. Our collie would lie on the hearth then jump up when so got hot she never did learn.

Enjoy your day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• HI everyone,rain today,hope all arms are recovering,thanks for the smiles again Snoop,unfortunatley,our meet up has to be put of for a few days,so another day is to be arranged,and GF you make me chuckle,i had better not not say what my thoughts are on here LOL,i will get banned,but i have a second chance at life,and i am going to grab it,ohere mother,i just hope it is all genuine,seems so,so far,fingers crossed,at last i got my affairs in order as they say,so thats another off my mind,the cakes i made yesterday just need butterceam,and then will have to freeze some of it,and family have some,i feel really relaxed and happy with my lot,log fires are very cosey,but i do not miss the sorting out of wood and the mess clearing up,i belieive that if you back it up last thing with saw dust,it helps keep it dampend down during the night,ready for a riddle and more wood next day,i feel sure thats what my late fatherinlaw did,have a lovely evening all,
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Usually, we add a large lump of very hard wood last thing to the woodburning stove in the bedroom, and that will keep it going for hours. I'm the same as you, Nicos, keep the home fires burning by adding a log when I get up in the night.

We used to have a cat that slept right by the stove. When it started to cool, she'd hop on the bed and that would be enough to wake me up to add another log too.

The little range in the kitchen is usually warm the next morning and sometimes has embers that will catch very readily the next day. But as it's in another part of the house, I don't keep it going by adding to it during the night.

Our firewood delivery arrived. And it is magnificent! Dry almond cut to the right size for the range, which has a very small firebox. Getting wood for it isn't easy. I'm really pleased. There's more where it came from too, apparently. So all good.

Comment

• Hi All,
                      Late evening here awaiting the return of my wife from baby sitting duty with a promise of a late Chinese tea, listening to Genesis - The Music Box at the moment and the track seems quite fitting for the peaceful setting while on my PC nothing like 70's Genesis tracks to take me back to way back when.

Pondering all the what if's and life choices you have made either right or wrong as it takes you back in time to certain moments that you see so vividly in your mind.
                      Like a snapshot in a memory photo album, some happy some sad, along with that sadness returns you to where you were and back to the present day when that certain track has finished. Certain tracks make me very emotional at times anybody else ever get this feeling? I cannot imagine I am the only one who has these strong feelings like it was only yesterday literally?

Anybody else having trouble with Brit-Gas? The wife is helping our daughter out trying to get a smart meter reader for her new house, speaking Pidgeon English to somebody god knows where? who just cannot understand what you are trying to convey sadly

4&1/2Hr's and still not understanding that we require a meter reader and not an engineer to bring it out and plug it into a socket, unless it's a wireless unit?

Why do so many companies insist all these call centres are making the work easier for engineers and customers alike? It may work for some but not for BG ):- ( Wow have just had a rant release),

Apart from that looks like the Granddaughter is doing really well and the Midwife has told my daughter Ivy is well ahead in the growing charts, Ivy is in line for being a really tall child which as far as I am concerned is a magnificent achievement considering her rocky start to life on this Blue and Green ball. I believe she is what her name means A GIFT FROM GOD!

Good health to you all and your families for the weekend.

Geoff.
                      Last edited by 1batfastard; 21-10-2022, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Good evening, sorry to have been missing for a few days, for some reason when I tried to come on it was asking for a password, which of course I couldn't remember, so meant to look for it, but one day streached to another, however I am back on now, well till the next time they are looking for a password ​​​​​​. Hope you are all well and behaving yourselves, have a good weekend and keep safe and keep smiling. Goodnight
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Just went back to do some catching up and see that Snoop has a fire in the bedroom, I have experienced some very cold winters but never had heating on in the bedroom, I find it uncomfortable if it's too warm, though I can understand if the elderly feel that they need the heat
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Lovely to see you back Rary!

Passwords are a pain aren’t they? Along with PIN numbers. . I understand it gets harder to remember them as you get older?

I could never remember them when I was younger - especially if I hadn’t used them for a while No hope for me then eh?

Comment

• Nice to see you Rary. I have now started using other peoples passwords. Going back twenty odd years I ended up building or repairing computers for most of my family and for a few of the in-laws. While I was setting them up I would usually need at least one password which I would ask them for, telling them to change it when I was gone. To my knowledge nobody changed their password and over a few years of repairing their computers their passwords became imprinted on my brain. One relative, ex navy, used the name of his first ship, another their dogs. Nothing related to me. A while ago I suddenly got the idea of reusing these passwords for myself with a clue somewhere such as mum's dogs.

I took my brother in law for his covid booster yesterday to the same place I went. The difference it makes when there are different staff. Yesterday there was lots of staff supposedly "working" but they all appeared to be doing nothing and we were there forever and then some idiot parked his tank so close to me that when we came out I couldn't get the doors open far enough to get my brother in law's walking frame in. Aaaarrrggghhh! When I went on a weekend it was busier, they had one of the staff overseeing parking and the staff inside (not as many) worked together. At least it got done.....however inefficiently. I couldn't convince him to visit his sister in the care home close by though.

This morning I need to pick up my 'click and collect' quilt cover from Dunelm. Yes, another brushed cotton one, identical to the first as I am really happy with that one. I did see a different slightly more expensive design I liked, but I could only get that one delivered, and with the fiasco with the delivery of my curtains from them last Christmas still fresh in my mind I decided no.

See you all later.

Comment

• Morning all.

Nice to see you back, Geoff and Rary.

Off out today to a small village to visit their annual fair. Not been to this village before, so will be interesting. Grey skies but no rain forecast, so perfect conditions.

Catch y ou all later. Have a great day.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X