Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning all.Bright and breezy here.

Wow, what beautiful loaves of bread.
    I am another one not good at bread making.

My granny used to butter the bread before slicing as well.
    No plans for the day, just donestics and a walk.
    Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
      Calm but grey here but certainly the temperatures overnight are dropping.
      Thanks for the bread comments - the others looks really fantastic! Well done peeps!
      Snoop - OH said they were a mic of whole meal and spelt. One of them is Irish soda bread too.
      MH - thanks for the crumpet recipe - I too have printed it off. It looks like something I could actually manage! Oh dear…not looking good for dieting is it?…ha ha!

My granny used to tuck her loaf between her left armpit and boob , butter it and hack it off horizontally. It always amazed me that she didn’t do herself an injury! Years of practice I suppose ?…more hygienic than work surfaces?…lack of work surface? Granny’s kitchen was really tiny.

I’ll tell you a story if you promise not to share it , as each time I think about it I have to laugh cos it’s embarrassing
      When my kids were teenagers we used to get through loads of supermarket bread. There was one white loaf in particular they enjoyed for their school butties and toast. It said ‘Boog loaf’ on the label so that’s what we called it - for years. Until one day I took more than a second look. The font had changed. Nope, it wasn’t a Boog loaf at all , but 800g No wonder I couldn’t find a recipe for it on the internet!

Hope your meeting is going well Flo. The relief when it’s all sorted will be tremendous.

Right, best crack on with more gardening - tomorrow is supposed to be our last mild day before winter arrives with a vengeance….
      Enjoy your day peeps!
      Last edited by Nicos; 20-02-2023, 10:43 AM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Grand story about the Boog loaf, Nicos.

I have some spelt flour (whole and white), so must give that a go too. They look lovely (I wondered how the loaf with the beautiful ripple effect hadn't burst open on baking, but I take it that's the soda one, it's gorgeous).

Comment

• Nah…^^^^that’s a loaf which he hadn’t scalded the flour first. The spring was disappointing apparently. Didn’t bother me though…it still tasted yummy!

OH is struggling with different flour’s hydration as the dough keeps coming out very sloppy for kneading.
          The soda bread is on its edge on the left…I’d already cut off a chunk and ate it warm with dribbly butter
          Last edited by Nicos; 20-02-2023, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• I'm reporting you lot to the Mods, it's unfair all this talk of breads and crumpits, and how good it all tastes and never once saying rary we will post some to you😢
            Now I don't want you all sitting there wondering if I am envious of you, know for definite, I am
            Last edited by rary; 20-02-2023, 02:07 PM.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good afternoonspent a bit of time in the greenhouse this morning and have sown some tomatoes and pepper, OH needed to go and order some flowers for funeral service in the church, while in the shop I was watching one of the girls make up a display and she was actually spray painting some of the flowers, I hope no-one ever pays for that when/if I go, now back home and having a up of coffee before heading back out to sow some marigolds to plant with the tomatoes, but before that I will book a hotel in the Lake District for our anniversary, OH won't go abroad again, so as we like the Lake District we will head there
              Enjoy the rest of the day, if, unlike here it's dry enjoy a bit of time in the garden and pass on some smiles
              ​​
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• You do make me chuckle Rary!
                But, in my defence, I did say you could help yourself. Or are you hoping for a delivery service???? More than happy to oblige if you’re offering a few large wee drams and a decent helping of haggis in exchange? Oh..and you’ll need to rub my back if that’s not too much to ask? It’s pretty sore after all todays weeding/ clearing up the front of the house.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
                  Wow….we have a really heavy mist/fog this morning.
                  I hope I spot the smiles as they fly overhead…I’ve got a loaf out which I was hoping they’d take to Rary.

More clearing up in the driveway today for me. Still loads to do ,but I’m chuffed with how it’s looking in the area I cleared yesterday.
                  OH has been demossing a couple of the lawns and has collected almost a trailer load
                  Plenty left for nest building for the birds.
                  Has anyone put up extra bird boxes this year? I had intended to…maybe there’s still time yet?

Tis pancake day today, so guess what we’ll be eating this evening!
                  I’ve plenty of lemons and sugar , so I’m sorted

Firstly though…time for a brew!….is anyone else awake yet?…I’ve been tiptoeing around….

Comment

• Morning

I've been awake a while Nicos the laundry is almost ready to go out in the sunshine.

No pancakes planned here but we'll see later.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all.

We're up for pancakes as well, Nicos. Savoury ones, though. Mr Snoop can't abide spinach, so I'll be stuffing them with the usuals plus our last full-sized head of broccoli. They've really done us proud this year. Only a couple of romanescos left and then, with any luck, we won't have long to wait for the caulis.

I wondered about deliveries of bread up north, too. The smiles told me they didn't think they'd be able to manage a loaf, but they liked the idea. As you're halfway there, Nicos, maybe they've picked yours up on the way.

Hugely busy day ahead. Not sure how I'm going to cram everything in, so better get started.

Have a great day, everyone.
                      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 21-02-2023, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Good morning

Cloudy here but no wind or rain. I just noticed some dire prediction for Yorkshire next week for 18 hours of continuous snow. Right or wrong, I think they've cried wolf once, or several times, too often.

Rary, I've never heard of spray painting flowers, but it wouldn't surprise me.....weird! Oh and just to wind you up.....I can smell bread cooking!😋

The blackbirds are congregating outside and I'm sorry they can only have bird food until the bread is out, and has cooled down. Can birds smell? Is that why so many are loitering?

I spotted a couple of magpies inspecting local property again yesterday. There are 3 old nests in nearby trees.

​​​​​​​I'm doing a grory hop later and taking my brother-in-law too. Top of my list .....oranges for Mr GF's pancakes.

Comment

• Good morning Allen.lIts a beautiful sunny morning at 8 degs.
                          Off to my line dancing.
                          Catch up later.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Te he…..^^^ who the heck is Allen? Enjoy your dancing bramble x

Comment

• Good Morning All Dull here, but I must put out the washing I did yesterday, so I hope the sun finds a way through the clouds. Have a good day
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Nicos you are more than than welcome to come up and you will have a choice of 8 or 9 malts and haggis is no problem here, as for rubbing your back, again no problem, I have a good byre brush which would make a great difference to your back, garunteed it wouldn't be required again for a long time, I could of course use my hands but OH says "your hons ur like sawnpaper" plus there is always the danger of getting caught with the odd staple or two​ or was the comment about the weeding, just to rub in the fact that I had rain
                                GF it's not bread baking that you could smell it was me burning the toast​​​​​​​
                                Last edited by rary; 21-02-2023, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X