This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good night all.
    Spent the afternoon making bramble Jelly.
    A bit tedious sifting the blackberries but have now got 10 pots stored away.
    Still more to go but at least there is now some space in the freezer.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning

Bramble I've had a look at my blackberries and they're late this year they don't seem to be as large or a juicy as usual, I've put it down to the weather. they're under a Silver birch tree so its one of the driest places in the garden.

No plans today just enjoying the nice weather that's a change for a Bank holiday weekend.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Bramble- I think bramble jelly is probably my most favourite of jams/ jellies. I can’t recall how many sieves I’ve managed to push the netting out of whilst trying to squeeze out the last drips of juice!

OH has suggested we go to a vide grenier and then into the local forest for the day in the camper so that’s our day planned!

Enjoy your day peeps! See ya later!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Bet you'll really enjoy the jelly, bramble, when you come to eat it. We went out with the dogs for a long walk but all the blackberries we saw were really small and pippy and not at all sweet. Not that nice to eat. Fingers crossed for next year...

All good here. Guests' last morning and Mr Snoop is now taking the guests to the airport. I'm holding the fort with the dogs, as per. Sunny out there, but I'm quite enjoying the peace and quiet so delaying going out and seeing what's what in the veg patch. Everything will need a good water as yesterday's 90% probability storm did not materialise.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring but reckon a good afternoon nap might be on the cards. As for the week ahead, back to work. Plus a week of plainer living before friend up the valley returns for a spell in residence.

Have a great day, everyone. Sounds like you're bound to have a lovely day, Nicos.
          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 28-08-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Morning snoop - didn’t see you there in the kitchen. Is that spare brew for me?

Ah..peace and quiet for you
bliss. But so is the uplift having friends to stay.
            Last edited by Nicos; 28-08-2022, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Good morning all,
              A dull start to the day and no sign of the sun.
              I forgot it's a bank holiday in UK so enjoy it.

Blackberrieskmthey are very much affected by the weather.
              I have known some wet summers where they just rotted on the bushes.

As for sieves, same as you Nicos, many broken ones but still worth it.

Enjoy the peace Snoop while you have it, its lovely when guests depart and you have the place to yourself.
              Have a good day all,

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• A pretty horrible day as I have felt ill all day. Even worse is that I have to admit it was "probably" mostly self inflicted. I think I rather overindulged yesterday evening .....both food and drink. One day I will learn my lesson......đŸ„ŽđŸ€ąđŸ„”đŸ€Ż

I am now starting to feel human again. Never again!

It is drizzling here at the moment.....not forecast but every bit is welcome.

I think an early night is in order.

Comment

• Good evening all.

Sorry to hear you've been a bit under the weather today GF.
                  An early night will put everything right for tomorrow.
                  I venture to say, most of us have been there so know the feeling. 😏

Not much happened today.
                  Grandson came for lunch and my daughter dropped off a bag of windfall apples.
                  I think the jam pan will be coming out again.
                  Have a good night all.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Evenin n’alln’all

We’re off out early tomorrow so I’m checking in now instead.

Oh dear gf
hope you feel better by tomorrow x

The vide grenier was great and I picked up a few small antiques at stupidly low prices.
                    Then we headed off into a mushrooming forest nearby and just camped up, had brunch and read. Too dry for mushrooms of course but very pretty and quiet. Well apart from a woodpecker which kept us company for most of the time. Poor thing must surely have a headache this evening
.bit like you gf!

Have a great day peeps - will pop in when I can

Comment

• Evening all, was in god’s country, Ayrshire, this weekend. Fab weather, lovely and warm with quite a bit of sunshine.
                      Loads of apples from tree so it’s looking like chutney time coming up
can you pre-cook the apples, freeze and use them later for chutney, pies, crumbles etc? Just don’t have the time at the moment but hate the thought of wasting the apples.
                      Hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend. Off to bed but will catch up with you all later. Goodnight x
                      sigpic

Comment

• sounds like a lovely weekend Jay!
                        I freeze all my windfall apples .
                        Chopped up then microwaved with a small amount of water/ pear or apple juice , then put 500g into small sized freezer bags.
                        Some are cooked down more than others . Never tried making chutney with them though, but I can’t see why not if you left them a bit chunkier.
                        One batch this week had added blackberry juice - ready for crumbles.

Comment

• Morning all.

You were up early, Nicos. Either that or late to bed. Hope you've woken up this morning with a new spring in your step, GF.

Distinctly chilly here today by recent standards. Ten to nine, 20 ÂșC out and I've got goosebumps of all things (wearing shorts and a t-shirt).

I'm avoiding making a list of things to get through today... It will be long and horrible and will include the words 'Phone dentist'.

I've just come across a thing that is new to me: breakfast custard. Maybe an American thing? Essentially ingredients for home-made custard with a bit of baking powder (very odd) and cheese mixed in, then baked in ramekins in the oven. Anyone else ever heard of this or had it? Might be useful if you've got to feed breakfast to an army of guests, perhaps?

Anyway, call going out to Snadger, Rary and Flo: hope you're doing OK.

Comment

• Morning

I'd not heard of Breakfast custard Snoop, had a look around and found lots of recipes some add fruit instead of the cheese. Think I'll stick with my pinhead oats, fruit and yoghurt i have Monday to Friday then bacon/eggs/mushrooms at the weekend.
                            Are you going to give it a go ?
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all. What a difference a day makes...and ten hours of good sleep. Again the famous last words.....never again. As the years pass this becomes a rarer and rarer event but not rare enough.

Despite a forecast of no sun for today, it is shining brightly right now.

Breakfast custard sounds a bit peculiar....but I tried Ashta, sugar apples (custard apples) in Lebanon in the past and was more than happy to eat them for breakfast ....and all day.

Jay, I also cook and freeze apples for pies and crumbles in Winter. My sister cooks and purees them in small portions to add to her morning yoghurts in winter.

Hopeful I'm off shopping shortly to refill my fridge.

Comment

• Good morning all
                                The forecast was for a dull morning but the sun is out.
                                Jay, I cook and freeze apples and rhubarb so your apples should be fine.

GF, it's amazing what a good nights sleep will do.

Snoop, do the dentist think and get it off your mind.
                                I never heard of breakfast custard.
                                Have a good day all.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse