Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More of yesterdays stew but with dumplings, mashed potato and swede and broccoli.

Comment

• Yesterday went awry. We ended up having spag bol. Not very dieticious at all.

Lentil soup for supper today.

Comment

• I'll just post this for any other dumpling lovers. I always use the basic half suet to self raising flour recipe for dumplings that is on the side of packs of atora suet. Today I was remembering the best ever dumplings I have ever made - in Spain aboard a boat in pre internet days. Why were they so light and pillowy but crispy on the outside I pondered. Eureka💡💡💡!! There was no SR flour available in Spain then so I just used the flour available and "levadura" ....which I presumed was baking powder. I was probably on the heavy handed side with the levadura as I had no idea how much to add.

Today I made dumplings as usual with S. R. flour but with an extra sprinkle of baking powder😊🙂😊🙂. YES! Amazing!
        Last edited by greenishfing; 25-01-2023, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Steak, mushrooms, peppers onions and roasties.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I am mortified to admit I've never once in my life made dumplings...

Hake with more steamed veg tonight.

Comment

• One day late but haggis, tattles, and (unless we can find a swede in todays grory hop) mashed carrots.
              Fresh fruit for pud

dumplings?…oh yum! You really wouldnt like them Snoop…honestly
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Faggots with mashed potatoes and mushy peas.

I love dumplings with casseroles.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Tonight will be salmon baked with lemon and capers, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli and parsley sauce. Mr GF was muttering about having stew and dumplings again but I put the last of the stew in the freezer last night so maybe tomorrow.
                  Last edited by greenishfing; 26-01-2023, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    dumplings?…oh yum! You really wouldnt like them Snoop…honestly

I have a feeling we might have talked about dumplings a long time ago. I really should try them, I know. Even if I don't like them, I'm sure Mr Snoop would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

I have a feeling we might have talked about dumplings a long time ago. I really should try them, I know. Even if I don't like them, I'm sure Mr Snoop would.
                      A lot of people just pop them into the pan of boiling stew put a lid on and have them soft. We actually prefer them soft on the inside but crisp on the outside so I get the stew boiling in a casserole dish pop the dumplings in and put it uncovered in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, still light and fluffy inside but brown and crisp outside. I did say to Mr GF last night that if we didn't eat them all the birds would love them. The birds didn't get the chance. They do double or treble in size as the cook.
                      Last edited by greenishfing; 26-01-2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• ^That sounds a bit more appealing to me, GF. I shall give them a go this weekend.

Comment

• We found swede!!!! Sooo hard to find here. They are considered animal fodder. (As were parsnips when we first came out here. Now they seem to have the lovely sweet varieties.)
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Congratulations on the swede, Nicos.

Mr Snoop says he doesn't like dumplings. I'm utterly shocked. I thought they would be just his thing. So won't be making them this weekend.

Supper tonight has morphed, but less than usual. Salt cod on a bed of courgettes in tom sauce. One of my favourites.

Comment

• If Mr GF still fancies stew and dumplings again he can have it today. If not roast chicken.

Nicos, I once knew a Frenchman who insisted that swede and parsnip were animal fodder. He had bad memories of having to eat " cattle food" in World War 2 and wouldn't even try them now.

Any chance of growing them where you live?

Comment

• Halibut baked with asparagus, courgettes and Sungold toms (fish, asparagus and toms from the freezer, courgettes from the shop).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X