This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Pen.

Bitter winds and frosty here at the moment. Probably the nearest thing to ‘In the Deep Mid Winter’ rather than a White Xmas.
    Just hope the rains keep away until after tomorrow evening as we are hoping to have our neighbours for a Mulled wine and nibbles outdoors for a hour or so - well, at least until frost bite takes hold
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• After record warmth over new year, its about to get much colder - back to where you might expect in early January. Basically that means potentially frosty nights and snow in Scotland and possibly over high ground. The next couple of days should be fine with plenty of sunshine but feeling chilly, before low pressure moves back in with temperatures up and down and bands of rain, the first of which may be snow turning to rain on Thursday as the front moves into colder air. Around mid month it looks likely that higher pressure may build again, returning us to the sort of dull, damp conditions that we had before Christmas, although there is plenty of time for that to change.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Great to have the update- many thanks Pen.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Thanks for the update Pen, the sunshine was nice while it was here.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Some very windy weather arriving tomorrow, especially in the north. No Met Office warnings as yet, but I expect there will be as strong gusts are forecast. We haven't had gales for a while, so check that garden furniture, wheelie bins etc are secure and keep an eye on any plastic covers that might blow off.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• The local met office in my area has just switched to yellow for Sunday and Monday.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                The local met office in my area has just switched to yellow for Sunday and Monday.
                Same for our area plot70

Comment

• There is now an amber wind warning for parts of eastern Scotland and NE England for today. This storm has been named Malik by the Danish met institute, as it is deepening as it tracks east towards Europe. The wind forecast for Sunday into Monday is a different area of low pressure, and although the yellow warnings affect a larger area, this has not yet been named.

Comment

• Calm when I got up (greyhound "Yip!" o'clock) but it's getting breezy now. Been out checking for loose items. A day for indoor sowing I think.

Comment

• The 2nd low pressure due on Sunday into Monday has now been named Storm Corrie. I'm not sure how they decide when to name these - I thought it was supposed to be when there was an amber warning, but there isn't any amber warning for this storm so far.
                      Last edited by Penellype; 29-01-2022, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Amber warning for wind for the north of Scotland just appeared on the Met Office website. Looks like they're updating. Weather for hereabouts has windy for most of the week other than tomorrow!

Comment

• We've had high winds, lashing rain and sleet all last night and today so all the day's ferries were cancelled. The wind is dying down now though (currently force 8 gusting 9) so it's not as loud and the roof tiles have stopped flapping. The forecast for tomorrow is calm enough that I might even manage to get out into the garden or down to the shore to collect any seaweed that's been washed up by the storm.

Comment

• TWO named storms on the way this week - Dudley on Wednesday into Thursday, bringing damaging winds to the northern half of England and southern Scotland. There is an amber warning here. Storm Eunice arrives on Friday - there is much less certainty about this one, with the models all over the place. Currently the Met Office have a yellow warning for most of England and Wales, but this is almost certain to change and if forecast gusts of upto 100mph in places are correct, it will be upgraded too. Most likely areas for damaging winds are the midlands southwards, depending on the track of the low.

On the northern side of Friday's low there is the potential for heavy snow. How far south this is depends crucially on the track of the low, so if you avoid the winds you may well get the snow.

Keep an eye on the warnings page for updates https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ce/uk-warnings.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up Pen.

Comment

• Thanks Pen.

Any idea when things might start to warm up?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X