Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leeks are a very hardy vegetable and one of the few that will grow in winter conditions. Bit like savoy cabbage, brussel sprouts, some kinds of cauliflower, swedes and parsnips. I know my scheme of rotation includes a bed for winter veg . My reason for doing so is so that I can produce food for the kitchen in the winter months and see at least one part of the plot continuing to be productive when the other parts are desolate.

Like many people, I follow what my dad did in the garden when I was a child. His methods stemmed from need. Out of season vegetables weren't imported in the same quantities as they are now, indeed out of season vegetables would have been a luxury.

It's not wrong to produce leeks for the kitchen to be consumed outwith the winter months. To me, it is in its way a wee bit of a luxury and I personally tend to concentrate on growing other veg that matures outwith the winter months for consumption outwith the winter months. However, growing veg isn't so much on the basis of need and we can if we wish indulge ourselves out of season if that is what we want to do.
    Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 20-12-2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Leeks in summmer? - but that's when I get my Spring onions, if I'm lucky *wry face*

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
        It's your fault matey, you started this ball rolling.

p.s. You'll need some slow release granules as well but don't tell anyone I told you
        Already use some of those specially for onions.

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Leeks in summer sounds good to me , then autumn.......hmmmm...., then winter & spring...........
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

in fact,anytime you fancy a leek
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Here's a question - would you rather have an onion or a leek? I'd choose the leek as you get more for your space in the ground and you get greens as well as whites. If you can grow them all year round I'm starting to rethink my options

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Here's a question - would you rather have an onion or a leek? I'd choose the leek as you get more for your space in the ground and you get greens as well as whites. If you can grow them all year round I'm starting to rethink my options
                Me too but since I have started sowing onions it seems a shame to waste them.........
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

We use far more onions than leeks in cooking,but I find it easier to protect onions from alium leaf miner & leek moth (have both here,Oh the untold joy of garden pests)
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

It's strange but here the leeks get attacked - not the onions

Comment

After making a slight modification to my Prop Bottles, they are condensing nicely.........

Attached Files

Comment

So patriotic with their red, white and blue seed labels

Comment

So patriotic with their red, white and blue seed labels
                          You are so observant........I never even noticed.............

Comment

You need to change the order..........

Comment

You need to change the order..........
                              I will now that you brought it to mine & everyone else's attention..........

Comment

Just thought you'd like to know Maybe you can pretend to be French or some other nationality...........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X