Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potty,the biggest advantage of joining is that it can put you in touch with expert growers locally who will be delighted to encourage and give advice. Forgive my lack of geographical knowledge of your part of the country which I have assumed to be the Midlands. You can find details of your local district associations here http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/midland_da.html . I won't do a sales pitch. I just haven't regretted joining.

Comment

Most kind AP I will give it some thought. But first tomorrow I intend to read that article and make some notes.

Potty.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

You're being too modest Colin - your pots of onions look great, so I'm sure you'll raise some good ones from seed.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Colin, that document now sorted http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/images/user/...Glazebrook.pdf

Comment

Auntie Flo you are to kind.

AP thanks again for that link, all I can say is blooming heck.

Having said that there is loads of useful info there and some of it can be adapted for the situation I find myself in.

As you pointed out by these guys standards I am very late, but there again I don't intend to try and emulate them. just use their expertise to grow a couple of decent onions. Off to do some more research about composts to see what more I can find out.

And there's me always said I would never be a competative gardener.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

This is so contagious - now I want to grow onions from seed even though I try most years and they don't grow enough even to plant out But with Ap on board, who knows

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                Having said that there is loads of useful info there and some of it can be adapted for the situation I find myself in.

Off to do some more research about composts to see what more I can find out.

Potty
                Right students, pay attention. I deliberately allowed you to read Peter Glazebrooks method because it is designed to grow a world record sized onion. We don't wanna do that so we can modify what he does hugely. I mean a polytunnel inside a polytunnel by any standard is extreme.

I've told you how to start them off so from there is the subject of todays lesson. Once the seedlings reach the stage of opening up from the crook stage,carefully extract the seedlings from the compost and prick out into small pots. 2" is fine at this stage and just use a good gp compost with some vermicullite mixed in to keep the compost open. Onions seem to thrive when the roots are confined in a pot so they will stay in these pots till they badly need potting on. - the next compost mix will be stronger.

A wee weekly feed of liquid seaweed (a capful to a litre of water) once they are established will be appreciated. Keep them moist not wet and try to keep them at a minimum 55ºf so they can keep growing without a check. Stake the seedings to keep them vertical, bits of tying wire made into a hoop with a stalk are ideal for this.

More later .

Comment

Can you recommend which onion to grow from seed, Ap - for those of use who don't have a Peter Glazebrook seed source?

Comment

if it's a big sweet onion, kelsae is the one to go for. I think T&M stock it. Most of the exhibition varities are bred and reselected from kelsae.

Comment

Personally, I grow ailsae which is a cross between kelsae and ailsa craig. It's a bit firmer in texture than kelsae and isn't so susceptible to fungal diseases.

Comment

btw, I just took delivery of new Ailsae seed today, some my little brother had left over. Sowed within 5 minutes of receipt. My own seed has failed me this year so I need to use imported.

Comment

Planned my seeds on Sunday.... Ailsae Craig, Bedfordshire Champion and some Red Baron.
                          Sitting on a window cill inside now in a spare room...
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

Seed compost obtained today but I am afraid it will be the weekend before it is used. This week 'the week before christmad' is always a nightmare, our suppliers close at lunch on Friday and reopen on 2nd Jan 2013. No parts = no repairs so if it ain't done by Friday lunch it ain't done till 2013.

Thank again AP.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post

Thank again AP.

Potty
                              Pas de problem mon ami . I'll do a wee bit on compost to pot on into later. Remind me if I forget

Comment

It used to be traditional for the man of the house to slope off on Christmas day (Just about when the dishes needed washing!) and go and sow his show onions. Likewise on New Years Day for his show leeks.
                                In these politically correct times this is probably now frowned upon!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X