This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    It used to be traditional for the man of the house to slope off on Christmas day (Just about when the dishes needed washing!) and go and sow his show onions. Likewise on New Years Day for his show leeks.
    In these politically correct times this is probably now frowned upon!
    It's not so much not pc matey, the 'big growers' are setting their's off so early - october even, so the rest of us have to do likewise. Show leeks now being started from pips in Sepetmber. I'm sure I'll find something else to do to avoid the dishes

Comment

Sowed some Bedfordshire Champion yesterday in my new fangled Prop-Bottle experiment. When they germinate, I'll sow some more in another bottle........what a good feeling. I didn't realise how much I missed it........Will be keeping tuned into this thread though as it's my 1st year growing onions from seed.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

funny innit, there's another thread running with folks giving up on onions yet here there is the opposite trend

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          funny innit, there's another thread running with folks giving up on onions yet here there is the opposite trend
          I think the weather this year has put a lot of people certain things especially those plants that failed for them.

This year certainly was not a year to make judgements on anything the weather played havoc for a lot of people.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've tried onion seeds and sets, neither have been very successful But I'll keep trying, especially under expert guidance I don't expect prize winners but anything edible would be a real achievement and very satisfying

Comment

Yes AP, I find it strange how some veg is easy to grow for some yet others struggle, I guess there is no rhyme or reason. I don't know if it is growing conditions or just lady luck.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

VC, one thing I should say about onions grown for the kitchen in the ground. Onions are gross feeders. Dig in as much muck/compost as you can get your hands on. Also throw a few handfuls of garden lime over the bed they will be grown in and once they start growing, be fussy about weeding as they don't like competition from weeds.

I grow my kitchen onions in rows (looks over shoulder for ZaZ ) 18" apart so there is plenty room to keep the hoe going and to rake off any weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Yes AP, I find it strange how some veg is easy to grow for some yet others struggle, I guess there is no rhyme or reason. I don't know if it is growing conditions or just lady luck.
                  Combination of both matey I suspect but I know that by moving my crops around the plots in a scheme of rotation keeps the ground in good heart and that is really the basic requirement.

Comment

The only thing that puts me off growing the big onions is the space they take up if you want to do them justice.
                    I have grown the Kelsae and Robinsons Mammoth with good results before. The Mammoth red onions are particularily flavourfull !

Come to think of it,I haven't grown them for a few years.................... maybe its time I did again this year, but grow them slightly closer together to keep the size down.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

VC, one thing I should say about onions grown for the kitchen in the ground. Onions are gross feeders. Dig in as much muck/compost as you can get your hands on. Also throw a few handfuls of garden lime over the bed they will be grown in and once they start growing, be fussy about weeding as they don't like competition from weeds.

I grow my kitchen onions in rows (looks over shoulder for ZaZ ) 18" apart so there is plenty room to keep the hoe going and to rake off any weeds.
                      You know me too well Ap

Comment

Also going to give growing from seed a go this year. Got Beds Champion and Red Baron. Always feel sets are a bit of a cheat, so going to do them old school this year for the first time. Was planning to wait until the new year, but if you've already started....guess what I'm going to be doing at the weekend!

Wish I'd grown more onions last year to be honest, as we get through so many. Used the last one from last year's crop in Sunday's gravy, so we've not done badly, but got to buy them now for the next 7 months or so.

I have some trays with 32 x 2" modules and am going to start them off in the bedroom which is never overly hot (deliberately, as nothing worse than a hot bedroom). Lottie is divided up into plots of 18' x 10', so I reckon that's 90 eaach of red and white. Mmmm!

Nice to be doing proper planting again. Chucked a few winter gem and some peas in the poly to see what happens, but that's really just an experiment. Onion planting is proper!
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Can you recommend which onion to grow from seed, Ap - for those of use who don't have a Peter Glazebrook seed source?
                          VC, as I've siad in my post down below, I'm giving it a go for the first time, but if they don't succeed it's not too late to cheat and stick some sets in around March time. Yhat's going to be my plan B
                          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I have a plan C - when all else fails go to the farmer's market

Comment

...and I felt guilty about sets! Bad girl!
                              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I feel no guilt about supporting local growers They need me to make all their efforts worthwhile. In fact, I could skip the seedsowing bit completely and go straight to the market - but I won't of course

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X