This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VC how moist did you keep the compost?

I don't have a heated prop (only a poor plumber) so I may be a little behind you.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I had mine in a cut-off milk carton, like BigMallly's pop bottles, for a few days - the soil stayed moist all the time. Sown on the 26th, showing their heads on the 31st, then, because I'd found the heated prop I bunged them in there until today. I watered the base of the prop but haven't watered the seeds since sowing them - Still very moist - maybe too wet!
      As for being a poor plumber - I cant afford a growlight

Comment

I sowed my onions the other day, just into small cell trays though, not bottles... Did one tray of Red Giant, and another tray a mixture of Marko, Up-to-Date, Santero and Long Red Florence. None of 'em showing yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I sowed my onions the other day, just into small cell trays though, not bottles... Did one tray of Red Giant, and another tray a mixture of Marko, Up-to-Date, Santero and Long Red Florence. None of 'em showing yet though.
          How small were your cells Sarz as I was thinking of using my 40 cell plug plant inserts. B*ggered if I can find any other use for them.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Yeah, that's the size I've used They can stay in that size for quite a while I've found

Comment

Think I'll join you all - I already have 200 onion sets growing nicely under environmesh in the gkid's plots, but as my daughter uses 20 a week I need a back up - I already have some seeds, trays and seed compost in the garage so no delay necessary, although I think I will wait till Monday and claim it for next week's VC challenge
              Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

right class, gather round.

The first pricking out from seedling stage can simply be into GP compost with some vermic or perlite mixed in to keep the compost open. However, the next potting on is in to compost with a bit more feed in it.

I use the following mix. 6 scoops of gp compost. 6 scoops of John Innes 3. 1 scoop vermic or perlite and the secret ingredient 1 Tablespoon approx of slow release fertiliser granules. My scoop hold approximately one pint. A one pint plastic milk bottle can be used with the bottom cut off if anyone wants to be exact with their measurements..

Keep the compost moist but not wet. It's important not to stress the plants by letting them dry out as this may lead to bolting.
                Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 03-01-2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mr Allium
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My Bedfordshire Champion are all up and at over 1" and the Red Baron and Ailsae Craig are starting to come thru slowly......
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

• My long red Florence, rossa savonese and prebosa are all up and standing to attention sar.

Comment

• Thanks for taking the time AP.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Thanks for taking the time AP.

Colin

Ditto :-)
                          Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Instead of being in front of you guys, some of you will know that I had a wee calamity. Well absolute disaster actually. I caught my foot in the cable of my heated seed tray in which I had two different batches of large onions almost at pricking out stage. Tray ended up on floor with compost and seedlings scattered around. Pointless trying to rescue seedlings as the two kinds would have been mixed and that's no good for showing so I have had to re-sow. It's a disaster but it could have been worse. At least I am not so far through the season that it would have been impractible to re-sow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              Thanks for taking the time AP.

Colin

Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
                              Ditto :-)
                              Thanks not needed guys. Growing exhibition onions is what floats my boat and if I can encourage you guys and girls that will give me a real good feeling. The interest shown in this thread is alreadyhugely encouraging.

Comment

• I sowed two types on boxing day - the bed champs we got free and some called Jaune Paille de Vertus.

They came up around the 31st Dec but I have got em under the sooper dooper grow light!
                                Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X