Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that has made me jealous. I still have 9 going OK but as you said before they don't half get a gallop on when they get going.

Potty.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Just keep paying attention to yours matey and they will be fine. Much easier to look after 9 than the dozens and dozens I have going. I have a tray or red baron sitting which I can't get planted out because of the weather. Can't even get them hardened off . The small onions would have been planted into my tunnel this month as well but I need to replace the cover and can't do that just now either. They are doing really well though. That photograph I posted doesn't do them justice. They are the ones in the black square pots above the green bucket under the bench. By the way, I use different pot colours and shapes for different varieties to avoid the need to label every pot. Little thing but useful ploy.

Comment

• Big day for the onions today. I now have 8 left purely my own fault didn't realise how delicate they were and lost one whilst potting on.

Anyway they were showing roots through the bottom of their 3" pots and are about 16" high so they have been transfered to 5" pots and taken from the window sill into the GH. Since I put the heater in the GH it has not dropped below 10`C so i think they will be OK.

Potty
        Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• I'm intrigued by the twin hi lo thermometers matey. What's the scoop? Onions looking fine. Not too sure about your watering technique.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            I use different pot colours and shapes for different varieties to avoid the need to label every pot.
            good tip.

I use different colour labels: yellow for school, blue for home, green for lotty, red for clients/friends/swaps
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• AP if you look carefully there a radio transmitter too so that I can see the GH temp from the sitting room.

As to the twin Hi-Lo's no sane reason, I had one, was given one and couldn't bring myself to throw it away. So there it sits waiting for a good home to come along.

Please explain further about the watering comment, I had just potted and watered when the shot was taken. Or do you mean I would be better off watering from the top?

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• I like insane reasons . No problems with watering from the bottom but not to the extent that your onions are sitting with their feet in water. The best onions in the shops are from spain, an arid area, so they don't need heaps of water. Moist but not wet. Moist but not wet.

Comment

• did I say moist but not wet?

Comment

• Great thanks, get that. I had just potted on and gave them a little water that was absorbed very quickly. I must have been a bit quick with the camera, unlike like me to me a 'bit quick' these days.

Oh you did say "moist not wet" didn't you?

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Right, actually remembered to post some pics.

First is under 250 gram variety Tasco which have been hardening off and are now permanently outside.

Others are large exhibition onions varieties Ailsae and Kelsae. Had to sow Kelsaes as I tripped over seed tray with ailsae -2 strains and as a result, they are a month behind in a season that is already a month behind.

My blanch leeks with 6" collars which canbe seen in the 3rd pic are also behind but they will romp on now the weather has become milder.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• So I've potted mine on into 3" pots. Not really sure when I should be planting out though. I was thinking at the end of next month.

I have some shallots started from seed too and they're going in at the back end of may.

Last edited by Currysniffa; 27-04-2013, 09:42 PM.
                        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

• Well this is where we are at today. I have put a plant label in for scale.

Having never grown from seed before I have no idea whether I am anywhere near where I should be at this time of year. Perhaps you can advise AP thankyou.

Potty
                          Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• They won't put on real weight until after the longest day matey but they are looking fine. I can't get a real sense of scale of the size of pot you have given them. It may not be big enough :eek

Comment

• I found this thread the other day-I found myself in wilkos, picking up onion seed-and think its lovely. A real credit to all those who have contributed.

My loose plan at the moment, is to sow those onions seeds in my classroom when the new school year starts. Looked on here for advice
                              Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

• AP with regards to the container its a cut down 50 gallon cold water storage tank. About 12" deep 28" long and 24" wide. One of my biggest containers, so it was that or nothing

At the moment there are 5 onions in there, the compost was enrich with Growmore and concentrated FYM.

Living in hope I suppose.

Thanks for your help

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X