Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not nice to have to go into hospital, Burnie, but a nice surprise to come back to. Best wishes.

Comment

• I have to go back in 6-8 weeks to have the Gallbladder removed once all the inflammation has calmed down, luckily only keyhole, so shouldn't interfere too much.

Comment

• I'm now hardening off the Onions and Leeks, increased the ventilation and turned off the electric, lid off tomorrow if it's a nice day then pot on into old yoghurt pots(huge ones for the Onions, smaller for the Leeks)the day after. Still in the double glazed conservatory, the greenhouse is still going below zero at night up here.

Comment

• My onions (and leeks) have germinated, not really sure what I'm doing but I've stuck them in the porch as it's a lot cooler.. don't want them going crazy on me.

Comment

• Not really grown onions before - do you think I could start some spring onions in pots in the propogater now & then plant out as clumps either in gh or garden?
            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• I can't grow spring onions for toffee, just stopped trying, so I'd be interested to know the secrets, but I'm guessing like all onions they need an early start, so go for it and we'll wait with bated breath.

Comment

• Burnie! Honest they are "Easy Peasy"

Sow five to six seeds in a 24 pot flat, or module tray, let em come on, n plant the whole plug, known as "Bunching Onions" Great results!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Yep done all that and get some really spindly thin non bulbing things, I haven't tried them in the raised beds, but my soil is very thin and sandy. This year I'm growing onions and leeks from seed in the beds, if they work out, I'll maybe try the springs next year.

Comment

• I know the (accidental) secret to growing spring onions - I have hundreds of little uns!
                    Last year I collected seeds from a couple of Ishikura bunching onions and put them in a tray in the GH to dry out. However, they got damp and started to sprout They were stuck together so I filled a seed tray with compost and emptied the damp seeds on top, spreading them out as best I could. They grew like crazy!
                    I've filled pot after pot with these baby onions - and I usually struggle to grow them.

Maybe, because the seed was so fresh they wanted to grow. I think allium seeds have a short shelf life?

Comment

• OK. Who ruined this thread by thieving all the pics which were posted?

Comment

• Its the next level challenge AP, grow onions from seed... without pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                          Its the next level challenge AP, grow onions from seed... without pictures
                          I liked this when I read it the first time. I really like it this time

Comment

• Just potted mine on, 30 of them sat in old yoghurt pots and some fancy compost in a bubble wrap tunnel in the conservatory(wifes none to happy, wants to know why I bought a greenhouse lol).
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Starting to snow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2371040
                            Last edited by burnie; 10-02-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Couldnt agree more AP reguarding the pictures and thanks to both you and potty for ( and all other contributors) to a cracking read. ( just read the lot in one go )

I sowed four trays ( modules) of Ailsa Craig yesterday ( already had the seed so thought why not ) , im assuming that its not to late and theyll turn out fine if treated well.

Those missing pictures would of been a great help but hey ho, thanks again for all advice given here, soo helpfull.
                              Last edited by jackarmy; 25-02-2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• My Onions are not looking good at all, if they don't show signs of improvement in the next month I may abandon the plan all together, on the plus side the Leeks are coming along nicely enough.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X