X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    Oi, gerroff the onion thread
    LOL - There was I thinking that I had at least another 6 weeks to get seed but see that many peeps have started off their onions. Know plenty of time.

Not been an easy process here (Wigtownshire). Last 2 years tried overwinter sets, but been a near and then disaster last year with the wet weather . Had a good result from Rijnsburger seed but not stored as well as expected. Perhaps didn't harvest and dry off well enough or perhaps December is their limit. More research needed. This season looking to grow more from seed - sets are going to be too expensive . Aiming for a 2.4 x 10m area with Shallots and leeks.

Going to order other seed from seekay, so limiting myself to their offering just now. How long do onion seeds keep once packet open?

I was thinking of Stuttgarter Giant or Bedfordshire Champion as the main crop brown onion with perhaps Red Baron as the main crop red option. These should both store well into the new year. 2020

I was liking the sound of Simane (red), but questioning if it would survive in the wilds of west coast. There is another variety - Dutch Yellow - that says it needs long days. Will it do well in Scotland?

I also like the sound of North Holland Red - thin as a salad and then remainder bulbing onion, but is there such a thing as a good dual purpose variety?

for a Shallot perhaps Zebrune.

I've got 2 packs of magazine leeks, so not issue this year.

Any advice welcome.
    Last edited by 4Shoes; 31-12-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• So should I be planting my onion seeds now? I thought it was March time or is this so you get a head start so bigger onions? I used sets last year and failed miserably (I was too rubbish at watering) but am attempting seeds this year instead to see if I have more joy!

Comment

• You know the phrase about a watched kettle not boiling, does the same apply to watched onion seeds?

Comment

• I’d hope that seeds wouldn’t boil....
          Last edited by Chrissyteacup; 31-12-2018, 05:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
            LOL - There was I thinking that I had at least another 6 weeks to get seed but see that many peeps have started off their onions. Know plenty of time.

Not been an easy process here (Wigtownshire). Last 2 years tried overwinter sets, but been a near and then disaster last year with the wet weather . Had a good result from Rijnsburger seed but not stored as well as expected. Perhaps didn't harvest and dry off well enough or perhaps December is their limit. More research needed. This season looking to grow more from seed - sets are going to be too expensive . Aiming for a 2.4 x 10m area with Shallots and leeks.

Going to order other seed from seekay, so limiting myself to their offering just now. How long do onion seeds keep once packet open?

I was thinking of Stuttgarter Giant or Bedfordshire Champion as the main crop brown onion with perhaps Red Baron as the main crop red option. These should both store well into the new year. 2020

I was liking the sound of Simane (red), but questioning if it would survive in the wilds of west coast. There is another variety - Dutch Yellow - that says it needs long days. Will it do well in Scotland?

I also like the sound of North Holland Red - thin as a salad and then remainder bulbing onion, but is there such a thing as a good dual purpose variety?

for a Shallot perhaps Zebrune.

I've got 2 packs of magazine leeks, so not issue this year.

Any advice welcome.
            Traditionally, boxing day is the time to start off onions but that isn't hard and fast. You should be okay if you get going in the next couple of weeks.

I've never tried Rijnsburger but this website https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/...on-Rijnsburger says they are a good keeper.

If sealed and kept in a cool dry place they can last several years but as with all seeds there will be diminishing results the older they are.

I've grown Stuttgarter giant from sets but never from seed, They are a flattish onion and keep well. I've never grown Befordshire Champion. Also never grown Simane . Looking at the available pics of them they wouldn't bulk up enough for my liking.

if you intend growing Red Baron from sets, be sure to buy heat treated ones. Otherwise they are awful for bolting. I grow my Red Baron from seed.

Hope some of that helps

Comment

• If I’m planting onions now would they need heat? I’ve got some yellow ryndburger and that’s what it suggests on the packet if sowing Jan- Feb or sow outdoors in March I do have an unheated greenhouse and I’m waiting on my heated prop being delivered (but was planning on filling it with chillis).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
                If I’m planting onions now would they need heat? I’ve got some yellow ryndburger and that’s what it suggests on the packet if sowing Jan- Feb or sow outdoors in March I do have an unheated greenhouse and I’m waiting on my heated prop being delivered (but was planning on filling it with chillis).
                Same sort of question....

I'm thinking 2 perhaps 3 weeks for the onions and then onto the chillies. c.annum will quickly catch up.

So just about to put onions into propagator at 20C. Garden Focus are saying growing on at 10C, but can survive lower temperatures very short term

Is it ground heat more important than air temperature that is more important?

I'm thinking of setting up a soil heating cable in the greenhouse, perhaps with fleece over it. That would prevent the immediate air getting to freezing in very cold nights.
                Last edited by 4Shoes; 02-01-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Onions need 55°f to grow. They will survive with less. They germinate best at 18°c/64°f. My growbench is in the garage with T5 growlamps over(T5s are just thin tubed fluorescent lights with suitable light spectrum tubes ). The onions have their feet and heads warm. The tubes do put out some heat but not a lot. I also have onion seedlings growing in the greenhouse which is lined with bubble wrap. There is a fan heater set to full running but controlled with a separate thermostat. Night temperatures have dropped to 40°f on the frosty nights and the plants have not been damaged but they are not as far on as the plants on the growbench in the garage.

Edit note:-

I have a heating cable in my growbench controlled by a rod thermostat and I check regularly with a soil thermometer. I've got it set at 18°c.
                  Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 02-01-2019, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• How easily do the seedlings divide if I was to sow them thickly so I can limit their propagator space would they survive splitting up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
                      How easily do the seedlings divide if I was to sow them thickly so I can limit their propagator space would they survive splitting up?
                      Oooooh I hate bad language. Seriously don't sow them too thickly. Having said that, if you prick them out before they straighten up out of the crook stage they will have a single root and be easily separated and planted into a fairly small dibber hole.

Comment

• Haha sorry I’m just trying to have my cake and eat it!!

Comment

• Breaking news, we have an Onion loop...…………………………………...

Comment

• I've got as far as bringing in the frozen compost

Comment

• Got some new seed this afternoon,and now sown,must remember to pluck em out at the crook stage,twill be an idea to get the cell trays at the ready in the warmth,all i could get was Bedfordshire champion.
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Tray of Ailsa Craig (found in seed box) now in propagator. Still waiting for the other 3 varieties to be delivered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X