Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just ordered next years seed, Mammoth Red Onion RHS HC, what ever that means, story goes they are one of the largest red onions, strong flavor and excellent keeping quality(hopefully)

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
      I've just ordered next years seed, Mammoth Red Onion RHS HC, what ever that means, story goes they are one of the largest red onions, strong flavor and excellent keeping quality(hopefully)
      I've grown Mammoth Reds a few years back. Big onions requiring 18 inch planting stations to get to a decent size. I know they are sold as a strong onion but I didn't find them so. In fact from what I remember they were on the mild side (which I liked)

I grew them about 20 years ago so maybe they have changed a lot.

btw, I am guessing it means they are Royal Horticultural Society Highly Commended
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• This year I sowed "Augusta" overwintering onions (from RealSeeds) again, having had really good results the last two seasons. They've come up thick and strong in the greenhouse, I'll be planting them out in late October. I sowed some Sturon at the same time, germination has been a lot more patchy.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          I've grown Mammoth Reds a few years back. Big onions requiring 18 inch planting stations to get to a decent size. I know they are sold as a strong onion but I didn't find them so. In fact from what I remember they were on the mild side (which I liked)

I grew them about 20 years ago so maybe they have changed a lot.

btw, I am guessing it means they are Royal Horticultural Society Highly Commended
          I've grown the white Mammoths before, they were just too big, but great fun to grow them, I guessed that's what the letters might have meant(think it just meant I had to pay more for the seeds though).

Comment

• I made a batch of these yesterday. The original pic posted in this thread was lost. Sometime when I need some inspiration I'll have a read through the thread and replace the pic in its proper place .

The thread was started by our good friend Potty. Thinking about you matey.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Right, that pic has now been inserted where a similar one was originally. post 132 , 10th January, page 5

Comment

• I grew Mamoth a few years back, from seed, and tell ya what, they were the best onions I ever grew.

Yeah, a little on the large side, stored really well though, and we're awsome tasting and served our purpose in the kitchen for a long period of time

Hmmm! Time to start planning!

And yeah, Potty you are surley missed!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• I have never used such implements - what are they for? (Miss you Potty)
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I use them to support onion seedlings being grown for exhibition to keep them nice and straight in the early stages

Comment

• Hi Sarriss

The exorbitionists of large onions who generally or religiously sow thier onions on "Boxing Day" use these implements to stick in the side of the pot, the loop then bent at a 90o angle to feed the leaves through once they have got through the "Crooks Stage" to keep the plant upright!

If you are growing to eat, no need to worry your little head! ........
                      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Opp's! AP beat me to it!

But his an exerbitionist! ..............

Comment

• I've never grown anything for exhibitions, but I like gadgets... hehe
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Sarriss, growing for the kitchen remains my first love and I only got into showing by accident when my allotment was judged first in Aberdeen City's inaugural Best City Allotment competition back in 2003. The judge of that competition suggested I enter my veg in the local Show. I came home with 8 firsts and a sheaf full of seconds and thirds. I was hooked.

I got a lot of help and guidance from other exhibitors and when Potty asked for guidance and help to try to match the onions grown by one of his friends it was an opportunity to give something back.

I'm tremendously proud of the thread and Potty did really well with his onions. If you get a chance, have a read through the thread from start to finish. There are a few tangentisations along the way (I know I'm guilty of that in other threads on occasion ) but ignore that and before you know where you are you'll be growing super duper onions as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                              I use them to support onion seedlings being grown for exhibition to keep them nice and straight in the early stages
                              AP if I placed a fine wire mesh on top of my compost after sowing onion seeds, would that serve the same purpose as your supports if it is lifted as the seedling grow?
                              and yes, before you say it, I am a lazy gardener
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• yes that would support the seedlings but at some stage you will need to prick them out separately , I don't use the supports until after pricking them out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X