Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the hairpin stage - then they straighten up. Just leave them alone!!

Ap calls it the "crook" stage - no comment!! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1064835
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 20-01-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      That's the hairpin stage - then they straighten up. Just leave them alone!!

Ap calls it the "crook" stage - no comment!! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1064835
      Awww Nnnnnooooo !!!!! - please be OK my little darlings.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Originally posted by ZsaZsa View Post
        Scoot, have you tried any of the F1 varieties from seed, or the smaller ones such as Purplette (technically a spring onion)?
        I'm giving the latter a try to see how large it'll grow, plus I'll be starting some Long Red Florence as well under glass in a month or so.
        Cant say i have. I'm just planning on the Ailsa craig this year. Maybe next year i'll give another red onion a try. An F1 variety.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
          Possibly been asked before, but - a few of mine (newly sprouted) seem to have 'double-backed' on themselves with the top of the shoots going back into the compost. Is this normal ?
          It was a bit of a delicate operation trying to get the tops back out.

Just to be clear these are seed sown onions and not sets, like geepee's.
          EXCUSE ME.....Mine are NOT SETS EITHER...!!!!

They are SEEDS, sown on 31st October 2017 and this is them today...

The SMALLER ones , (LIKE YOURS) were also sown from seed on 1st Jan 2018 attached.
          Notice they are straight as as a dye...

I will post pics of my sets on the other thread (if I can find it) lol
          Attached Files
          Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

• Thanks Kevin, good to be back. The shed is doing great, added a wee extension last year, pics to follow
            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by ZsaZsa View Post
              Scoot, have you tried any of the F1 varieties from seed, or the smaller ones such as Purplette (technically a spring onion)?
              I'm giving the latter a try to see how large it'll grow, plus I'll be starting some Long Red Florence as well under glass in a month or so.
              My Red Pearls are F1 seeds, grew really well last year.

Comment

• Sowed these Red Baron seeds on the 15th January this is them today,never tried growing onions from seeds before so it’s good they’ve germinated

Click image for larger version

Name:	3B2098CB-4D66-4281-9D85-E702CE571158.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2376279

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
                  Awww Nnnnnooooo !!!!! - please be OK my little darlings.
                  So Now then...5 days on......are they or are'nt they.
                  Lets see some pics eh...

I bet their ok ..??

Comment

• Heres mine ...AGAIN.....

I,m trying to keep this old and ancient thread alive but do'nt seem to be much interest lately.
                    Some input and /or feed back would be appreciated, especially from the 'Older, Founder' members who started it all way back then.
                    At least tell us ,without the need to be going back 57 pages, if we are still on the right track.
                    Gp
                    Attached Files

Comment

• The sets are looking good geepee.

Sorry, I pressed the post button in error.

I've had a few casualties - however, I'm having a glass a wine at the moment with the better half, so will do some pics at the weekend.

I might dig out the grow lights, as they're lying all over the place at the moment.
                      Last edited by KevinM67; 25-01-2018, 10:18 PM.
                      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Just potted on my seed sown on the day after boxing day, out of cell trays and now in old yoghurt pots, I shall need about 3 dozen that's all, the rest will go to neighbours.

Comment

• Just sown mine today.
                          Nothing to sing about - Ailsa Craig and Bedfordshire Champion. Just have to see how they come along.
                          Think I'm a bit light still on what I need, so going to see what else I can find

Elefant and Musselburgh leeks went in.

All were lying around in seed box - off cover of mag

Comment

• If the roots are coming out the bottom of the cell tray,you can pot them on into 3” pots I was thinking of using white plastic cups because they’re tall but a bit narrow like an onion seedling then looking back AP talks about potting on into 5 or 6 inch pots after that before planting out,it’s worth reading back,if you go to Jan/Febs writings you can read what stage they’re at to know what you need to do

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                              If the roots are coming out the bottom of the cell tray,you can pot them on into 3” pots I was thinking of using white plastic cups because they’re tall but a bit narrow like an onion seedling then looking back AP talks about potting on into 5 or 6 inch pots after that before planting out,it’s worth reading back,if you go to Jan/Febs writings you can read what stage they’re at to know what you need to do
                              New to onions, so it just happens I was on

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vege...hp#sow-indoors

Yesterday. Sow straight into 3" pots was the recommendation. But given I needed 200 odd, opted for modules initially until more space is available.

The seed packet indicates a spacing of 100mm in all directions, but 300mm recommended here. What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                                If the roots are coming out the bottom of the cell tray,you can pot them on into 3” pots I was thinking of using white plastic cups because they’re tall but a bit narrow like an onion seedling then looking back AP talks about potting on into 5 or 6 inch pots after that before planting out,it’s worth reading back,if you go to Jan/Febs writings you can read what stage they’re at to know what you need to do
                                Hi JJ
                                Thanks for your reply , I was thinking there was no interest left in this subject..!
                                My early sown Onions from SEED...! (NO SETS>> Take note OTHER MEMBERS) you know who you are Lol, Are still sitting in the 9 cell trays I sowed them in...!
                                I am in the process ( just about completed , A second Cabinet/Light box(unheated and Un insulated, other than by Fluorescent light ,NOT LED, thinking Fl' lights.although not as economical to run, will give sufficient heat to keep 'Frost proof, without the added expense of Buying and/or running a separate heater..
                                In the next few days I will be 'Potting up' the early stuff and am thinking now they have established both root and leaf growth without being disturbed, Going into 5/6'' Square and deep pots with plenty of FYM mixed into compost.
                                Onions generally benefit from Nutrients in their early stages rather than later.
                                This should give them loads of feed to carry through to eventual planting ...?
                                Last edited by geepee; 11-02-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X