This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats happened here//

Maybe MODS can explain, this thread'Onions from seed' and 'Who knows their onions 2018
    seem to be piggy backing each other . Could just be me .
    Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

• I have Globo sown on 1st jan just appearing as attached.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by geepee; 10-01-2018, 05:45 PM. Reason: add attachment

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Onions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2376181

Leaning over a bit, but coming along nicely.

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]78189[/ATTACH]

Leaning over a bit, but coming along nicely.
          Looking good Burnie,
          Might I Respectfully suggest that their 'leaning' either toward more heat or light, (most likely Light)

See attached, I think the fact that their straight up (tallest ones about 12/13'',32 Cm) without support is TOTALLY due to Sufficient and equally distributed light.
          I will be potting these up in the nect day or 2 and giving them support as shown and keeping them under lights and reducing temp'.

Plants definitely respond to 'Reflected'light absortion through full stem length better than light from above only.
          Gp
          Attached Files

Comment

• Yes the light comes in from the right as you look at it, I just lift the propagator higher and it sorts them out, they had their first day with the lid off, that also helps with extra light. I grew them the same last year and they seemed ok, your set up looks very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by geepee View Post
              Maybe MODS can explain, this thread'Onions from seed' and 'Who knows their onions 2018
              seem to be piggy backing each other . Could just be me .
              This thread is for seed grown Onions rather than sets.

Comment

My pics are grown from seed NOT setts...!!!

Comment

• No one said yours were sets did they?

You wanted to know the difference between the 2 threads - you were merely being told that this thread is about onions from seeds, the other one isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                    No one said yours were sets did they?

You wanted to know the difference between the 2 threads - you were merely being told that this thread is about onions from seeds, the other one isn't.
                    All right. I'm obviously not as educated as you thats why I'm slow to understand.
                    Last edited by burnie; 15-01-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Further to that....this is what made me think somebody thought they were setts...!!!

Comment

I sowed some seeds back on Oct 31 st ..

Also the Onions in the same pics were sown same date.
                        I'm keen to hear of other growers progress with onions , will I post on the old thread started by Potty 5 yrs ago or is there,or will there be, a more recent thread..???
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 16-12-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Started a new one for you Gee!

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        I would post on the old thread, that way all the information will be kept together.
                        I think this is where the thread confusion started! Scarlet started a new thread for 2018 at about the same time as Potty suggested staying with the old thread - and people have been doing both.
                        This thread started because Potty wanted to grow giant onions from seed and it has become the "master" thread for that - and its Stickied.

The 2018 thread is for growing onions this year, from seed or set. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...8-a_95440.html That's how I read it anyway.

Comment

All right. No need to 'Spit your dummy' Or 'throw your toys out your pram luv'.
                          I just thought I was being helpful - oh well!

Comment

• Only growing Ailsa Craig onions this year. I give up trying to grow red onions. They always fail.

Will be starting my seeds off back end of next month probably.

Comment

• Scoot, have you tried any of the F1 varieties from seed, or the smaller ones such as Purplette (technically a spring onion)?
                              I'm giving the latter a try to see how large it'll grow, plus I'll be starting some Long Red Florence as well under glass in a month or so.

Comment

• Possibly been asked before, but - a few of mine (newly sprouted) seem to have 'double-backed' on themselves with the top of the shoots going back into the compost. Is this normal ?
                                It was a bit of a delicate operation trying to get the tops back out.

Just to be clear these are seed sown onions and not sets, like geepee's.
                                Last edited by KevinM67; 20-01-2018, 07:39 PM.
                                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X