This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks bramble il give that a try .
    Thanks potstubsdustbins. They may appear yet.
    Northern England.

Comment

• What I like to do with my spring onions is sow a good pinch in 3" pots say 4 pots at a time, let them geminate, grow to about 3" high and then put them in there permanent trough. Spreads the harvest out slightly and if some fail to germinate I haven't lost much and always have some more following
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• Thanks . I will give them a try that way today and see if I get get them going indoors first.
        I may have yet spring onion success , fingers crossed
        Northern England.

Comment

• I always sow my spring onions in large modules. When they germinate and have sturdy roots I plant them out as clumps. They find their own space, and as long as you dont need to grow them on into big onions they are perfect for picking for salads.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post
            I always sow my spring onions in large modules. When they germinate and have sturdy roots I plant them out as clumps. They find their own space, and as long as you dont need to grow them on into big onions they are perfect for picking for salads.
            That's the way I grow mine also!

Comment

• Grew mammoth red and white this year...sown in modules to start and off heat.....took a while to come through.....don't remember when I started Feb I think ......and had some cracking onions.....I lose too many once lifted tho ....never seem to get the keeping right :/ .......and I can't grow spring onions for toffee

Comment

• Just planted my Onions and Leeks in a heated propagator in the conservatory, double glazed so should be better than the greenhouse this early in the year.

Comment

• Onions from seed

Assuming that you got your seeds in well before Christmas, you should now have lots of seedlings showing. They will be at the crook stage, ie bent over at the top, bring them out of the propagator before they get too leggy and give them as much sunlight as possible, using lights if you have them. They can stay on a cool, light windowsill in the spare room using a foil backdrop to shine the light back onto the plant.

Comment

• Didn't check my propagator last week as so busy, just had a peep and there's a forest of green, both Onions and Leeks.

Comment

• I don't have a propagator (I live off-grid, so not enough leccie to justify) and no sunny windsill. I know this is a stupid question but: at what point is it worth starting off leeks and onions from seed outdoors. Last frost date (in case it's relevant): early to mid April.

Comment

• You could sow indoors in mid-March. Given they don't tend to spring up immediately outside of a propagator they will be poking up and at the blades of grass stage in early April.
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• The longer you can make the growing season the better, if starting later it's usual to plant sets, all you'll end up with is smaller onions that's all.

Comment

• Taken this morning, will probably pot them on into old yoghurt pots one all have passed the loop stage
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks, sparrow. I never seem to get the timing right, especially with leeks, so I'm sorted now.

Comment

• Just spent a week in hospital, Gallbladder problem, stones blocking things, checked my propagator when I stepped in the conservatory, there's the leeks and onions trying to lift the lid off. Quiet day tomorrow potting them on hopefully.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X