Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Mel Ednie beat the world record for the heaviest onion back in nineteen oatcake, the seed came from an opened packet he found in an old jacket that had been hanging in his shed for a few years. Of course we all know that seed becomes less viable as the years go on but onion is more resilient than some.

Seed compost is low in fertiliser to start with so it wouln't suffer too much from the goodness leaching out of it.

I'm pleased for you that you had a good season with your onions but and there is always a but,

there is no need to take un-necessary risks especially with a crop you only really get one chance with- if your sowing fails for any reason, your next effort may well be too late to be able to expect a good result at the end of the season.

So new seed and fresh compost every time guys and girls

Comment

• I was not suggesting old seed and old compost but the concept of raising some seeds in a bag in the airing cupboard. Seed packets commonly supply more seeds than needed and I propose to plant out the seeds as normal but any remaining ones I will bag and if I have a failed set of seedlings I may have a backup.

This year my cauliflower and broccoli seeds started off okay and then died, do not know why and I had no crop as was too late to start again.

Comment

• Interesting but of no relevance to growing onions from seed then which is what this thread is about.

Comment

• I sowed a few kelsae onions in a pot on the 14.11.2015 evening time.
          looked at them yesterday 21.11.2015 to see 3 just starting to pop up
          then today 22nd,several are up,they are not in a propagator,but a used plasic container a cake comes in,the lid was left loose for air flow,and sat on a table near a radiator,with no night heating,so don't be put off from trying to grow,i do not own a propagator.
          these are merely a little experiment for big ones next year,yes i hope so,will be sowing more of the same and other varieties shortly for general use
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Hi Lot tie,

Onions will germinate as low as 35f or as high as 95f with the optimum around 80f. If you haven't got a heated propagator, pop them in the airing cupboard but get them out into the light as soon as you see signs of them coming through.

If you try to get them going at the lower end, you are likely to get a lower success rate.

Great to see you having a go though so good luck and let's see some pics as you go.

Comment

• No airing cupboard,i have no bother germinating them,
              This is where,and how i done them,plus 1 of the little dears themselves,it only took 1 week for them to start showing,so this pic is only after 8 days,i will look to find the next stage,and make some little wire holders for them,and so pleased thus far,all thanks to your postings about onions,so thank you.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by lottie dolly; 22-11-2015, 07:02 PM.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

• Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                No airing cupboard,i have no bother germinating them,
                This is where,and how i done them,plus 1 of the little dears themselves,it only took 1 week for them to start showing,so this pic is only after 8 days,i will look to find the next stage,and make some little wire holders for them,and so pleased thus far,all thanks to your postings about onions,so thank you.
                Lotty, dont know if you meant to post a pic, but there is none on here.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• From a distance it still looks like a chocolate cake in there, much to some disappointment

No-one took me up on my offer of free seeds so i might just give a few Kelsae seeds a go.
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

• Your leftover seeds will always find a home in the VSP, Lisa. I can do you a swap too

Comment

• Kelsae seeds in really short supply this year too.

Comment

• I have just finished reading this thread from the start,took good notice,and made some notes,i will have to sort out some pots now,i got loads of them,

Comment

• Looking good Lottie Dolly, I will post a pic of mine tomorrow.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Your leftover seeds will always find a home in the VSP, Lisa. I can do you a swap too
                            Think i will send them to you, i just can't ask for any as i cannot get stamps. Unless you are very kind and let me put some pennies in there instead

sigpic

Comment

• Ok i have put a couple of pinches of seeds onto some damp kitchen roll. Lets see how it goes.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                                From a distance it still looks like a chocolate cake in there, much to some disappointment

No-one took me up on my offer of free seeds so i might just give a few Kelsae seeds a go.
                                Lisa, I would love the Kelsae onion seeds but like you I am excluded because I am not in the Uk.
                                cant seem to find Kelsae seeds here.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...