This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piddling rain here so playing in the greenhouse

Subject of, it's really difficult to keep plants moist in a small pot. Although it isn't ideal, consider using a bigger pot rather than risk dessicating your plants.

I have my under 250 gm onions in cell packs - never again- much easier to deal with them in single pots.

I popped one out to have a look at the root system earlier and as you can see it is very healthy. I popped the onion into a pot just slightly larger than the cell pack section and staked with a split cane and a couple of the plastic clips I referred to earlier.

Anyone else care to post a pic showing their progress? The seed tray I have used as background gives an idea of scale.

Although that is an onion which will not grow to huge proportions, the method of planting up in to progressively bigger pots is the same whatever the size.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mine failed miserably AP so think I will stick to sets..............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Failed What happened?

Comment

• It was my 1st attempt growing them from seed so I can only assume it was my fault......not enough light didn't help & possibly overwatering. I have some still going but nothing like in your pic.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• they do need light and moist not wet. I hope I said that about watering earlier. Stick with the ones you do have growing though. They will become decent onions

Comment

• I need to get them down to lottie in greenhouse where there is more light.

Comment

• That's where mine should be, I spose - but there's more cold weather forecast for next week!

Comment

• These two are the best so far. I now have 10 all together some am hopeful of a little success. For scale they are in 3" pots with a piece of A4 behind.

Colin
                  Attached Files
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• looking good Colin.

Comment

• Thanks AP wouldn't have got this far without your help.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• aye you would matey, you could have pulled some stuff off the net I'm sure. A wee tip though. With a bit of soft twine, gently tie the bottom of the stem towards the cane so that it is vertical. . Work the stem gently between your fingers to straighten it up if need be.DO that every day till it gets the idea.

Comment

• Cheers matey will get on to that pronto, I have some nice soft garden twine that should do the trick.

Think I am also going to have to get some longer supports very soon I am running out off height with the bar-b-cue skewers.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• think 30" for the latter stages before you plant out but 18" - 2ft will be fine in the meantime. You will see them grow at a tremendous rate once spring is really here.

Comment

• I have the supports ready but have refrained at this time due to the lack of height in the grow light I am using. However they will be out of there within a week.

Potty
                              Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 25-03-2013, 08:43 PM.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

• I've just been mixing compost ready for potting on again. Greenhouse is full of onions and leeks. Took a pic looking in. Excuse the shambles
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X