Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh, fair point about local growers, pulling your leg as you well know. Before getting the lottie and being able to grow most of the veg Mrs Vince and I need, I was the same. Food miles is a real bugbear of mine, eating with the seasons is much nicer anyway, and all we buy out of season is onions and pots when our stored supplies run out, plus the odd bit of fruit and we try and buy British with that, although submit to the odd bit of exotica occasionally. Why on earth would anyone want to buy green beans from Kenya at this time of year anyway, it's root and brassica time! That said, we've just received the usual box of Christmas oranges from an Israeli client of my Dept - shame to waste 'em!
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Todays hint, for the next potting on,you will need GP compost, John innes 3 and some vermic or perlite.

Comment

Too good an oppurtunity to miss, on the job training - i'm in!
        Bedfordshire champion, but i'll be happy with 'tennis ball' size.
        Starting this weekend!
        <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Looks like your going to have quite a following AP thanks again for the advise.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It's your fault matey, you started this ball rolling.

p.s. You'll need some slow release granules as well but don't tell anyone I told you

Comment

As we are starting to sow onions, would it be fair to say that we can also sow leeks as they take forever to get to a transplanting size.........or thay do in my case......
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I have a pot of leeks that still aren't big enough to plant out! They haven't grown at all Most peculiar

Comment

Given that pips which have already a head start have been grown by exhibitors since october, sowing now would seem sensible if you want an early crop. Bear in mind that the exhibitors are looking for mature specimens for shows starting as early as August and that leeks are usually looked on as a winter veg for kitchen use.

Comment

Nicely balanced post there AP
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

kind of you to say so matey .

Comment

Credit where it is due bud,I got my onion & shallot seeds out when this thread started & like BM thought about doing leeks at the same time (using the same logic),but the seasonality for usage had not crossed my mind at all,so thanks for drawing our attention to it

Comment

But you can eat leeks all year round - they don't have to be kept for winter. So staggered sowings would mean longer cropping period - yes?

Comment

Ahhh,but then they are not a "seasonal treat"

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              But you can eat leeks all year round - they don't have to be kept for winter. So staggered sowings would mean longer cropping period - yes?
                              absolutely correct VC and my intention wasn't to discourage folks from growing in that fashion. I was more looking at it from the traditional standpoint.

Comment

Traditions! Pah!!
                                Eat leeks - let's hear it for the Leek - bring it out of its Winter woollies and eat it in Summer.
                                I hereby declare myself Defender of the Leek. Just wish I had some.........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X