X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicos
    replied
    Mornin n’alln’all
    About to head off swimming again ​​​​​​, but will take the weekend off . Good job as I’m still aching a bit from yesterday.

It’s still drizzly here and windy so I don’t feel bad about not gardening. The sycamore seeds are germinating like crazy in the gravel driveway so I’m intending to attack those over the weekend. From a distance there is a pale green sheen to the driveway - like someone has sprinkled mustard and cress. We grab a few handfuls as we walk outside the house but it’s not enough to even get on top of it.Must be all the rain we’ve had. I guess if I tried to grow them in a pot I’d kill them!

Snoop - I always peel my Broad beans and I guess the tough skins of the lupin beans last time put me off. Some recipes say pop them out of their skins, others suggest you eat one from the jar ( rinsing off the salt first) and other suggest roasting them with spices and citrus juice. I guess the Jared ones would have the softest skins as they seem to suggest some toxicity problems if not cooked properly from raw
    I’ll let you know how I get on but one simple recipe was hummus dip in place of chickpeas.

Right…best get a wiggle on…
    enjoy your day. Hope your cough is improving Rary ? ( I found inhaling hot water with antiseptic tea tree drops helped. This is a bit like gardening advice isn’t it?)

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Morning

Wet and windy here today.

I'd not heard of Lupin beans either, so I did a bit of a search and it looks like they come in either bitter or sweet varieties, which seemed rather odd to me.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Lupini beans might look like lima beans - though I'm not sure that's the case, personally - but in texture they're more like broad beans, a leathery skin and a soft interior. Maybe we just had too much of a good thing with M. I didn't find them very easy to digest.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Morning
    Chucking it down here but no breeze, calm before the storm , rain in for the day, picked a great day to go shopping haven't I.
    Never heard of Lupini beans , had to look them up. It said similar to Lima beans, which I have not had either. Great help so far. I use a lot of beans but not as a complete dish, just to bulk out or make salads with like a tomato basil salad and olive oil/balsamic.
    Kettle is on.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Morning all.

Our friend M up the valley once made a bean stew with lupini beans. Rather put me off them... Lupini beans are eaten here, but normally in very small amounts as a kind of nibble with olives, gherkins and the like. Have you found a recipe you like, Nicos? Maybe we should give them another go.

Sorry to hear about your cough, Rary. Hope you make a speedy recovery. Been a while since I had a cough like that (loads every year when we lived in Barcelona due, I think, to damp in our flat after rain and the dreadful air pollution). Have you ever tried steam inhalations and thyme tea with a little honey? I think the freezer flakes might have gone to GF's head. But you never know, her suggested remedy might work too!

Lovely evening last night with the neighbour down the valley and a busy day ahead today. So far behind it doesn't bear thinking about. Anyway, better get on with the show. The work won't do itself.

Have a great day, everyone.
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 05-04-2024, 06:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Mornin Jay…you still awake?
    Sorry to have passed on the weather, It does sound calmer now here.

te he gf…you sound like you are high on chocolate! Never a bad thing

I’ve just been looking up recipes.
    I checked out the ‘International ‘ food section in our local supermarket yesterday and came across a jar of Lupini beans. I tried them once before thinking they were Broad beans, but they weren’t. Didn’t particularly rate them but yesterday I thought I’d be adventurous and try them again but looking up recipes this time
    Turns out they are a high fibre superfood and a fantastic addition to dieting. Well…how did I get this far in life having no idea about that!
    Anyone tried and tested any recipes using them?

Leave a comment:

• Jay22
    replied
    Morning, wide awake with the rain battering on the window…looks as though your weather has reached us Nicos!!
    Talking about Vick, seemingly rubbing it into the soles of your feet helps a cough too! Worth a try?
    Welcome home bramble.

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    Good evening.

I hope you are feeling better Rary. Maybe someone should send Vic(toria) over to massage your chest....or Emily ...or Charlotte. I am feeling inordinately happy. Earlier I suddenly got that old familiar craving for chocolate but I'd already eaten up. I was just going to have a mini tantrum, 🤯😵‍💫😵🥴 when I remembered the 99 flakes, lurking in the back of the fridge, I'd bought to go with my ice cream.. Yum, yum!

Why is it that sometimes, for no discernible reason, a basic meal that we have on a weekly basis suddenly exceeds all normal expectations and suddenly becomes the food of rhe gods? Tonight that was the salmon, new potatoes and veg.
    Last edited by greenishfing; 04-04-2024, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Rary, just wondering if you have thought of using vick.
    An old remedy, tried and tested.
    Rubbing it into your chest might ease your cough.
    Hopefully a better day tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Well, it was a good day here until the rain came at about four thirty.
    I got two lots of laundry out and dried.
    Lots of tomato and flower seeds sown and in the heated propogator.
    Lots more to be done, but, tomorrow is another day.
    Have a good night all.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    It's been cool today but managed to get some washing out, some paperwork continued then decided to hoover upstairs which became windows open, cleaning bathroom, changing the bed . Tired myself out
    Weather looks grim tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    Good evening, still feeling lousy, though not that bad that I missed you post from last night GF remember it's a fine line lass😡 Anyway had a toddy when going to bed last night at ten, passed out and slept till eleven thirty and woke up wide-awake, lay for about an hour trying to get back to sleep, but finished up getting out of bed and sat about till half four, back in n bed and got to sleep and slept till ten, I have actually tried having something to eat, a wee plate of porridge hopefully it will help me feel a bit better though when coughing it feels as if I have been battered about the ribs, actually makes me feel as if I was an old man, remember GF, a very fine line🙄😁. Hopefully will improve for tomorrow, have a pleasant evening and pass on some smiles
    Last edited by rary; 04-04-2024, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Good morning all.
    Thank you all for the welcome back.

Nicos, we actually had quite a nice flight and must have missed the bad weather,

Snoop, I do love your descriptive adjectives...a new language perhaps?

Rary, I hope your feeling a little better today, take it easy.

Bren, lovely bright morning here, just right for gardening.

Have a good day all.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Mornin n’alln’all
    OMG …do we have rain!…horrendously heavy with massive gusts of wind. Eases off for a while then back it comes!
    If it keeps up like this I’ll be more wet walking from the car park to the baths than I will be once I’m in the water!
    Talk about April showers

That was soooo funny Snoop, I’m going to be giggling about that on and off all day

Hope you are feeling a bit better today Rary? Sounds exhausting

Did you have a bumpy flight bramble? Maybe you just missed the high winds?

Quick grory hop for me after swimming- just milk really but something else always catches my eye
    Last time it was asparagus. So glad it did!

Enjoy your day peeps- particularly those with no rain. I’ll try and hold it here for you for a while
    I swear I saw those smiles carrying surf boards earlier

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Morning

Rain here as well.

Welcome back Bramble, hope the weathers fine enough for you to garden.

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

It's so toshy, CG, that it's even toshier than utter tosh.
    Love your description Snoop fingers crossed you have some hair remaining at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X