Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is not going to plan. I haven't got to the allotment yet. I took Mr GF for his podiatry appointment in the next town, came home made a cup of tea and then suddenly out of the blue something made me want to check his hearing aids. I really don't know what, maybe I was having to talk louder. One was missing. I checked the car, rang up the clinic to see if one had been handed in.....no. Having thought about it I realised the most likely time for him to have lost it was when he took off his mask, outside the clinic, just before we got back in the car. We have just been back and amazingly I found it in seconds on the tarmac. It was exactly where I thought it might be.....unharmed.

He has talked me into calling home now for another cuppa, but then hopefully off to the allotment next.

Mr GF now wants to know if Jaffa cakes count towards his 5 a day!!
    Last edited by greenishfing; 12-05-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
      Mr GF now wants to know if Jaffa cakes count towards his 5 a day!!
      Probably not. But I've just seen that 67 g of chocolate coated raisins counts as one of the five a day. I love those things. I wish I hadn't spotted this information... Oddly, we used to have a cat that loved them too. And honey-roasted peanuts. Couldn't open a packet of them without her trying to get in the bag. Nice memories. She also used to love panettone.

Comment

• Afternoon all.
        Did a grory hop this morning, then a walk round the field paths and up the local hill. From the top I could see that the field of yellow oil seed rape close to my bees is going over, I guess yesterday's rain dashed off a lot of flowers, but a field of blue flax is just starting to bloom, though I think flax is self-pollinating and I've never seen bees on the red flax I have in the garden. Then there are 4 fields of beans soon to flower. I adore the scent of bean flowers, to me it smells very like honeysuckle.
        Here in the garden the honesty has finished flowering, so I must cut down some of the stalks to limit the amount of self-seeding it does. The edges of the grass next to the path need trimming too, to keep it looking neat during no-mow May.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          ...But I've just seen that 67 g of chocolate coated raisins counts as one of the five a day. I love those things.
          May be one of your five a day, Snoop, but that handful is a massive 261 calories That's five and a half jaffa cakes worth!

I used to eat (uncoated) raisins by the handful as I love them, and sultanas and currants too, till I found out how many calories they contained.

Endless wonder.

Comment

• Well found gf!
            I seem to recall that Jaffa cakes were the biscuits of choice when dieting. Never quite got my head around that but they do give value flavour: calories ratio!
            Problem is…I don’t know anyone who can just stop at two- we’ll apart from my OH!
            I notice they do different flavours now.
            I guess if Jaffa cakes did count towards a five a day, imagine what fruit pastilles would be? Te he….share this with your OH gf…

Quote…..”What is the world record for Jaffa cake eating?

A British man has set an unofficial record for the most Jaffa cakes eaten in 3 minutes. Stu Hayler, a 39 year old British man, won a recent Jaffa cake eating competition, and set an unofficial world record in the process. In just three minutes, Stu ate an incredible 36 Jaffa Cakes .”

What????….36?…only 36????? I betI could give him a run for his money!

Speaking of which - time for a brew - thank goodness I don’t have any Jaffa cakes in the house!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• 36 jaffa cakes in three minutes... that's five seconds a jaffa cake. Add a cup of tea to wash them down and I reckon that's easily doable. Especially if the boxes are already open.

mothhawk, I haven't had chocolate-coated raisins in years. I reckon I put on weight just thinking about these things. That's at least half a kilo for the fruit pastilles thought. If there were a world record for those, I'd win hands down.

Comment

• How about a chocolate covered Jacob's rice cake.

Just having one with a cup of tea as the rain has stopped the gardening.

GF how lucky were you to find the hearing aid, and 7ndamaged as well.

Went to buy slug tox this morning.,
                The store is the same as the English Wilcos.
                priced at €10 and €14, I couldn't believe it.
                I only use it while the dahlias are coming up but I wouldnt pay that price for it..

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Jaffa cakes seem to be pretty much universally loved, judging by the comments. I'm sure they've got smaller over the years.

Only 36 for the record!🤪 I'm so tempted to try beating that but unfortunately I haven't got 36 in the house.😭 I don't think even 36 would give Mr GF one of his five a day though!🥺

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    36 jaffa cakes in three minutes... that's five seconds a jaffa cake. Add a cup of tea to wash them down and I reckon that's easily doable. Especially if the boxes are already open.

mothhawk, I haven't had chocolate-coated raisins in years. I reckon I put on weight just thinking about these things. That's at least half a kilo for the fruit pastilles thought. If there were a world record for those, I'd win hands down.
                    Sigh...yes, the things we give up to stay healthy. Why do we love all the things that are not good for us? If it was cabbage that loaded on the pounds instead of chocolate, would we all be addicted?
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning all.

Brightish this morning. A bit of hazy cloud and decidedly cool, enough for track suit bottoms and a thick cardie. But another hot day forecast. Off out to make the most of the cool by doing a bit of heavy weeding. Mallow plants that have a really deep root system, so the fork will be coming out for those. No planting I think this morning. Will leave that for this evening. I can see the main veg patch from our bedroom window and it was nice to see the brassicas I put in yesterday looking all green and perky.

Fortunately, I love cabbage as well as jaffa cakes and fruit pastilles. And I have been known to crave broccoli in summer. So, plenty of those going in, sown successionally. I'm getting a bit better at that. Anyone grown cime di rapa? I'm giving that a go as my experiment for this year. Not sure Mr Snoop will like it though.

Paid work to fit in during the day too. The smiles are surprised that I have got things relatively well sorted at the moment. They also went and admired the two new piles of mustang muck delivered today. No interest in it from the dogs and none from flies either. Amazing. Anyway, the smiles set off full of glee again. Should be with you in next to no time today.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

Hair cut this morning not to sure after that I'm almost up to date with planting just kales and french beans but I'm waiting for those to get a bit bigger.

Is it only me who doesn't like Jaffa cakes? its the jelly/jam filling that does it. I do like Ginger biscuits they're my fave

I'd best be of Enjoy your day.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning. We got more rain last night (not forecast). This morning it is very windy but dry. The washing, thick towels and bedding, is going out shortly so it will probably rain again, despite there being none in the forecast.

Time now for another coffee....

Comment

• Good morni g all.
                            A very breezy but dry day here.
                            Grocery shopping this morning and some gardening later.
                            I may pot on my tomatoes, they are growing like steam.
                            Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Afternoon n’alln’all

Early start today - we headed off to the diy shop when it opened then on for a big grory hop. Made much easier having OH with me.

And yes……I DID stop and look at the Jaffa cakes on the shelf……and I DID walk away without picking any up!
                              But it did get me thinking….how do you eat yours?
                              I like to nibble off the cake then post it into my mouth and suck it to death! My friend nibbles the jelly and chocolate off then posts the cake into her mouth. Yes…we really did have that conversation!…so , how do you eat yours?
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Evening all.

A small tragedy in the garden this morning. I was drawn to look out of the window by the blackbirds kicking up a racket. A magpie had found their nest in the hedge, and has taken the chicks. The parents could do nothing, and I was too late to help. The bluetits also have had a loss - for several days there has been only one adult feeding the young. It brings home what a hard life wild things live.
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X