X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
    Afternoon,nice sunny day here too. Have you used cups as a weighing method instead of scales,filling a cup rather than looking at numbers,would make it easier for children I thought,it does feel like playing in a sand pit have a great day!
    JJ I use cups mostly it’s for US recipes, and things like oatcakes it’s an easy and quick way to bake.
    I’m sat in the garden just now taking a break from gardening and enjoying the sunshine

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Afternoon all.

Very lazy morning reading Nigella Lawson's domestic goddess book, which arrived yesterday. Seeing as we're talking weights and measures, does anyone have this book? On page 249, she's got various lists of ingredients for 25 December cake, each list being suitable for different sized tins. This I can understand. But up above, she has column headings that as far as I can tell are weights that just refer to the amount of fruit. I've never made said cake. If I decide to make one, it seems to me I can just choose a list of ingredients that suits my tin size. So why have this heading? Does it serve any purpose that I haven't grasped?

Other than that, all I've done is finally bite the bullet and lob any tomatoes and rip up pepper plants that are beyond saving after all the rain. No idea what happened to the aubergines (fruit, not plants), but they seem to have rotted from the inside out. So a lot of those have been chucked too. Not much left now in the way of tomatoes already. If we're lucky, the plants might put out some late flowers. By way of compensation, the cabbages are looking healthy. Got to look on the bright side...

I haven't seen much of the smiles today. I wasn't paying them much attention, so they went on their way. I warned them not to bother you too much, Nicos, so unless you break out some sweet delight or pizza (they love pizza as well as cake), you shouldn't be too molested.

Have a lovely rest of the afternoon, everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Afternoon,nice sunny day here too. Have you used cups as a weighing method instead of scales,filling a cup rather than looking at numbers,would make it easier for children I thought,it does feel like playing in a sand pit have a great day!

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Mornin n’alln’all

Looks like another day of sunshine for me,
    It is however quite humid after yesterday’s rain.
    Damp soil = easier weeding!…yey!

enjoy your day peeps - see ya later

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    ^^^^
    I've got a set of digital scales that I love as I can change between imperial and metric with a click and reset to zero between additions.

Sunshine already today. Yippee!!

Off to the allotment shortly.
    Last edited by greenishfing; 05-09-2021, 09:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Morning we have sunshine the raspberries/blackberries have been picked and the laundries out on the line.

That sounds the perfect day MrBones.

We had visitors here for the day yesterday it's nice to get back to something like normal.

Greenishfing I use a set of old Avery shop scales so I like recipes in lbs and oz it saves converting them from metric.

Enjoy your day

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Morning all

Steady day yesterday. Was on the lotty at first light (06.10), at eight Mrs. B texted to say she was bringing breakfast down (raw jumbo oats and yog topped with rasps picked there and then) and after that the day was a pleasant mix of pottering and nattering. Came home about 17.00

Still no sunshine yet but the skies look more promising today

Enjoy your day

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    ^^^^^ Thank you!….fantastic

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    Really easy recipe. Hope you don't mind but as it's old all the measurements are pounds and ounces.

CHRISTMAS PUDDING

6 oz raisins
    4 oz currants
    4 oz sultanas
    4 oz grated carrots
    4 oz breadcrumbs
    2 oz plain flour
    4 oz frozen butter grated
    4 oz soft light brown sugar
    ½ tsp ground spice
    ½ lemon rind
    3 tbsp thick cut marmalade
    2 eggs beaten
    2 fl oz brandy or whiskey

Mix all ingredients together and steam for 5 or 6 hours.

This makes a large pudding, about 2 pint or 1 litre basin. Feeds at least 6. If you split the mix into smaller basins you can reduce the steaming time. I've just split this in two and am steaming for 3 hours. When they are wanted probably another hour of steaming to heat them through.

Put in some kind of pudding basin cover with greaseproof and then foil or fitted lid.
    Last edited by greenishfing; 04-09-2021, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    That seems to have done the trick thanks Snoop!
    or…it could have been the heavy rain and thunderstorm we’ve just had

gf…you know,what I’m going to ask don’t you????…pretty please?
    I could eat Xmas pud until it comes out of my ears - anytime any place. Yummy yummy yum!
    I have to make my own I think this year as I don’t think I can import one???? - not sure tbh as it contains suet….so I could do with a tried and tested recipe.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    Will....you....please.....control....these.....darned....smiles...someone?...they're...taking ....over ...the ...place.........heeeeelp!

I'll wave the so-so cake about in the air. That might bring them back home... No promises, mind.

Leave a comment:

• greenishfing
    replied
    I had a nice trundle around the garden centre this morning. I found something suitable for a birthday present and bought a "couple" of other things for me including a new mint plant as my husband destroyed my last ones. I thought they were supposed to be pretty much indestructible but he dug up the lot, apple mint, peppermint, spearmint and chocolate mint.
    I did quite a bit of harvesting at the allotment today and have now got a big pot of courgette, tomato and red pepper chutney simmering away.
    Tonight I'll get a couple of steamers going as also for the birthday present I'm making a couple of puddings (the 25th December variety) except at my sister's house they love them any time of year and they get called several different names "Easter pudding", "Birthday pudding", etc. The only part of making them I hate is grating the frozen butter. It doesn't matter if I do it in the food processor or by hand, it's a horrid job.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Will....you....please.....control....these.....darned....smiles...someone?...they're...taking ....over ...the ...place.........heeeeelp!

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Afternoon all.

What a fantastic city Malaga is, Bramble. Won't say hope you have a fantastic time because you're bound to. I'm only a mite jealous...

All good here today. Mr Snoop off into town for a few odd jobs there. I'm holding the fort with the dogs, as per. No bad thing. I shall have a very peaceful nap this afternoon, so long as Frankie leaves my toes in peace.

The smiles left relatively early this morning. I made a cake and it's only so-so and they're far more interested in blackcurrant buns. I think you might get more over your way than usual, Nicos.

Have a good rest of the day, everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    ^^^^You must be telepathic!

I’ve just defrosted some blackcurrant buns- help yourself!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X