This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Snadger, do you keep leeks growing all year round? I presume you've grown these from seed. Could you tell me what variety or varieties you grow? Any special tricks? We get through a ton of leeks and I'd love to be self-sufficient in them.
    These are from leek grass which is what forms on a leek seedhead. This is vegetative reproduction so each plant is a clone of the original. I picked the best leek I had (A show strain, but I don't show leeks) and should really have got them planted in early October.I don't use heat or growlights and can sometimes get a good crop from these. It only works for a few years before reversion starts kicking in and I will need to grow from seed.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your Mum, Nicos. Big hugs from I.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Morning it was wet out earlier but now no more rain due till this afternoon, so i'll be out there raking up leaves soon.

Enjoy your day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all. The early rain has cleared here and blue sky is showing through the clouds. Looks perfect for a walk
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

• Morning, chuckinitdarn 'ere, not warm either, sleet and snow for the hills today, think I'll sit by the fire with a pencil and paper and my seed catalogues. Take care all.

Comment

• Mornin n"™alln"™all

Thanks for your kind wishes- they are much appreciated xx

We actually have wall to wall blue sky at the moment!!abut it"™s still blustery winds.
              One week has made an amazing differenxpce to the colour and number of leaves left on the trees. We have quite a few woods locally following the steep river valley and one side is clearly further ahead with autumn by a week or so than the other side. Must be to do with sunlight or min temperatures??

My outdoor fairy lights are due today so I"™m really looking forward to that.
              I did some knitting yesterday but need to unpick most of it today

Apart from that I"™ll be stewing more apples and researching more with the van conversion

Hope everyone is OK?

(Its the US elections today isn"™t it??? Yikes....)

enjoy your day - whatever you get up to
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Snow Burnie???? Yikes !!!!

Comment

• Good morning all.
                  Blue skies and sunshine but a stiff breeze and just 5 degs.
                  I have to call to the post office this morning so that will take care of my walk,
                  I need to finish planting my garlic this afternoon.
                  Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post

These are from leek grass which is what forms on a leek seedhead. This is vegetative reproduction so each plant is a clone of the original. I picked the best leek I had (A show strain, but I don't show leeks) and should really have got them planted in early October.I don't use heat or growlights and can sometimes get a good crop from these. It only works for a few years before reversion starts kicking in and I will need to grow from seed.
                    Thanks, Snadger. That sounds interesting. I usually grow loads of onions and only a few leeks, but I'm thinking that maybe I should do it the other way round, a lot more leeks than onions. Anyway, something to ponder on. Thanks again.

Comment

• We have about 200leeks growing at the moment and we always run out.
                      We do get thrips though so a lot get partially wasted.

Comment

• Prevening All Very cold and grey here. Car sailed through its MOT today and was treated to a wash. I'm surprised to have had my dental review confirmed for Thursday and devastated that my haircut for later this month has been cancelled! Back to the Germ Factory tomorrow See you dark and early. It will be dark - we've no light in the bathroom but I'm happy to say that Homecare can come tomorrow to fix it
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Evenin n"™alln"™all

Gosh Flo...I imagine the dentists still haven"™t caught up with the last lockdown?

just take care at work lass....we don"™t want you getting ill. Nor anyone you work with !

My Xmas lights arrived this afternoon - will check them out tomorrow !

I"™ve just realised it"™s bonfire night on Thursday!
                          I do have treacle and ginger cake in the freezer and a fire pit...and also some wine for mulling.
                          No fireworks but heyho.... ya do what ya can eh?
                          no doubt all weekend bonfire events are banned now?

Anyone got anything planned? We usually have hot pot too...I can still do that with our own beetroot as an accompaniment.Darned rats pinched my jacket potatoes so that"™s a nono now
                          Last edited by Nicos; 04-11-2020, 03:49 AM.

Comment

• Evening, curtains are closed so it might as well be evening, mostly rain and wind today.
                            Spent the afternoon in my craft room making a few cards. Not made any festive cards yet but did look for ideas.
                            Enjoy your evening

Comment

• Nothing planned here Nicos apart from watching fireworks from the upstairs windows, don"™t think there"™ll be that many this year though because they"™ve usually started setting them of in the evenings by now.

Comment

• Weird weather today. Bright blue skies and sunshine followed by heavy rain again and again.
                                On a really happy note my young niece was due to get married on Saturday. She has already reduced her guest list from a couple of hundred to a handful but then lockdown was announced. At a couple of days noticed she rescheduled the wedding and is now married.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X