This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
    Hi VC no I’ve not lived in Oz, visited it twice as my son lived there for 10 years, why .
    ..because you said you were "feeling crook" which is an expression I've only come across darn under.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      The village of Dufftown in the Speyside region has several distilleries and the whole place not only smells of whisky, but everything is covered in a black tar looking coating, that is the "angels share". SWMBO told me off for licking a lamp post when we were there, I was just curious to know if it tasted like whisky lol(I was also told we were not moving house to be there either).
      https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...'s%20share

What you will be smelling is the yeastiness of the mash(ground malted barley mixed with water and yeast added). The mixed ingredients are left in a mash tun - basically a huge barrel without a lid and as the fermentation process takes place large volumes of yeasty smelling gases are given off. I grew up in a tied house within 100 yards of the mash house and never noticed the smell but I really did notice it when I visited my folks later after moving away to work in the city.

The blackness you refer to is tar from the smoke of the fires beneath the copper stills and is historic. Nowadays the stills are heated using oil fuelled boilers and the air quality is much improved.
      Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 11-12-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Sorry to read your news, FF. Big hug from me. x

Comment

Good Morning All and thank you Cold. Have a good day
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Morning its cold and frosty out will need to wrap up warm.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thinking of you and your family at this sad time Flo xx
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Morning all.

Blue, blue, blue, blue, blue out there. But only for a brief while. Clouds and drizzle ahead. Looks nice for now, but it is also chilly, chilly, chilly.

Lots to get through today, so better step on it. Another big hug, FF.

Have a good day, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  Prevening All. Just found out I've lost another brother. We're none of us close but it's still sad, especially at this time of year
                  Oh dear Flo...really sorry to hear your news xxx
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mornin n'alln'all
                    More sploshy stuff.
                    Hope all you sickies recover quickly( holds breath!!!!)
                    Busy day here too..
                    See ya later peeps.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Morning, sorry to hear your sad news Flo.

Comment

Mornings!
                        Sad news, Flo - makes us aware of how lucky we are …

Sploshy stuff now, but it was very cold overnight, with lots of flashes and sparking along the railway line, which woke me up just after 4am.
                        Today I'm making honey and sunflower seeded bread plus a few pastry batches to freeze, for when they're needed. Might be a bit early to make the spiced & iced biscuits, though - I could eat them all before the day

Have a good'un

Comment

Morning all! Another wet one but I'm sure the sun will be out later.

When I woke this morning I had one thing on my mind - how to spell "annihilate". Was it one "n"? Was there an "h" plonked in the middle of 2 "i's". It didn't seem right, no matter how I arranged the letters.
                          As I lay there, pondering, the phone rang. A phone call at 8am is bad news - right?
                          I leapt out of bed to find the phone, all of a do-dah .

It was Amazing Prime
                          All the letters fell into place and I knew exactly how to spell "annihilate".

Enjoy your day!!

Comment

Good morning all.
                            What a miserable start to the day.
                            Lashing rain and as dark as night.
                            Busy day again.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Good morning,no fairy only me,right get on with it,now what are these things for,soft cloths,somat that stinks in a can,and a thing thats got dyson on it,will go and have another look,just to see it they friendly,do not hold out much hope,have a good day and Bgood2yrselves.
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Sorry about your news Flo, even when you are not close it's still a big loss in your life. God Bless
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X