This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornin n'alln'all
    Grey but very still here so hopefully I'll be able to spend some time weeding the gravel driveway...again!
    Loads of dandelions, germinating field maple seedlings and self seeded valarian (which will be relocated)
    Still aching from yesterday's swim...clearly did me good!

Just planning tonight's meal -we have a veggie friend coming over who is more than happy to eat a very low cal meal
    Best crack on then!
    Enjoy your day folks...long weekend ahead for some
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all.
      Sunny here in the sunny south east.
      Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning folks. I'm sitting here contemplating the wisdom of installing my own cement repair spurs (no DIY background, no experience with cement/ fencing, not particularly big or brawny either) to save myself a good £200 on paying a professional to do it.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady BlackThumb View Post
          Morning folks. I'm sitting here contemplating the wisdom of installing my own cement repair spurs (no DIY background, no experience with cement/ fencing, not particularly big or brawny either) to save myself a good £200 on paying a professional to do it.....
          Probably depends on the ground you are putting them in as much as anything. Not a particularly difficult job but if you have to dig down into cement or very stony soil you'll almost certainly wish you got someone-else to do it :-)

If you do attempt it make a bit of a mock up first of what you are doing by pushing sticks in to the ground and looping string tight round them so you get a good line - if it needs to be straight, start with a stick at each end, and string v tight between them. Roughly measure the space you want between spurs to get an estimate of the end point, then if it has to be a set distance between spurs like for a fence panels cut a piece of batten or similar to the exact length you need between "centers" - use this batten to make sure you get the holes in the right places.

Depending on how strong you need it to be you can dry mix some sand and cement and dribble it in around the spur bases or just ram the soil down hard with someting like an old fence post - its easier to get them upright at this point with two people, one to hold and one to ram - use a weight on a bit of string to get an upright, if you don't have a level.

Any q's, just ask ;-)

Comment

• Good luck, Lady B. Great answer, Nick.

Meanwhile, it is perishing cold here. Also, a bit surprised I'm first on the scene. Hope you're doing OK, everyone.

Hope you're all having great days and not moping about like me, looking outside, knowing there are jobs to do, but thinking about anything else I can do instead indoors (even the washing-up).

Comment

• Mornin Snoopn'all
              Sopping wet here.
              So windy I can hear the wind howling around the house ( outside)
              Trying to persuade OH to come swimming with me. I don't want to go either!
              Might be more fun on my own

Waaay too wet and yuk to garden...it's times like these I'd really love to be able to potter in a greenhouse.

I actually feel like lighting the woodfire, hunkering down and watching a film whilst handsewing .....

Ah Well...breakfast first . Cuppa anyone?

Comment

• Good Morning All Bright but very windy. Domestic stuff for me today. New suite comes in Thursday so better clean the lounge. Have a good day All
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.
                  A sunny day but chilly with it,
                  Off to play pitch and putt shortly.
                  Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Good evening,

I was about to go down the allotment today and plant out my veg but think I will give it a pass and wait until this frost has past. So just been out to garden centres instead and bought some more flower plants.
                    Carrie

Comment

• Evening all, the sun is out here, but the wind is still strong
                      Raining on and off all day, big downpours
                      Done a stint at the charity shop this afternoon which kept me warm and dry lol
                      Have a lovely evening
                      Nannys make memories

Comment

• Evening all, what a funny old day, went up into the Glens as it was sunny when I got up at six o'clock, by the time I got into the hills it was snowing and quite heavily too. Got most of the crops under fleece both inside and outside of the greenhouse, Happy Mayday eh?

Comment

• Mayday?...nah!...it's 'May the 4th be with you ' Day
                          We went swimming after all and then watched Star Wars to celebrate
                          Lets hope the weather is a bit better tomorrow

Sleep well peeps

Comment

• Mornin n'alln'all
                            Nicer day here

Everyone OK?....just left you all a breakfast tray outside your rooms...hope you enjoy the selection

Comment

• Morning its a dull day here no rain though so thats good, GH low was 2.3c overnight so i'm glad my toms are still spending the night in the kitchen.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Thanks, Nicos, lovely.

Bright and very breezy here. The air itself is cold, but alright if you're in a sheltered spot in the sun.

Got a bit more weeding to do today and then that's my top patch well and truly sorted. Mind you, there will be more later, inevitably. And then, after that, paid work to catch up with deadlines. Phew.

So that's my day sorted. Hope you all have good ones too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X