Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^^ I think faggots will be on my list of ‘things wot need eating’ when we’re next over in the uk! Yum
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Chicken tonight. I've been trying to decide with what. I think it will end up being chicken and sweet potato curry with naan because it's what I really fancy. There's a few other bits of veg want using up so they'll probably end up in there too.

Comment

• I'm a glutton for punishment. Added a cake and some rolls to the meal and decided to make a loaf from the same dough as the rolls.

One thing: I never know how many potatoes to do so I have loads of leftover mash. Mash patties with something inside? Any other ideas?

Comment

• How about gnocchi Snoop? using Tippo 00 flour.
          They can also be frozen and are best uncooked on a flat dish to stop them sticking together.
          I’ll sometimes make a low calorie casserole for me and add a few to OH’s dish. Easy peasy.

Here are some great dishes to try with them….
          https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes...inner/e254bg8j
          Last edited by Nicos; 22-10-2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• I've taken prawns out of the freezer. I think it will be Creamy Pesto Shrimp Alfredo with garlic bread and avocado salad.

Comment

• We were left a packet of tofu. Never used it. Thinking of crispy shallow frying it served with eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and baked beans. Bit like a veggie almost full English breakfast.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                I've taken prawns out of the freezer. I think it will be Creamy Pesto Shrimp Alfredo with garlic bread and avocado salad.
                I've just decided to add beer battered onion rings to this.

Nicos, or anyone else who knows, I would be interested to know your thoughts on tofu as I've never tried it that I know of.
                Last edited by greenishfing; 22-10-2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

Nicos, or anyone else who knows, I would be interested to know your thoughts on tofu as I've never tried it that I know of.
                  The only time I’ve had teeny pieces was in a miso soup and it was like tasteless rubber

I’m really hoping this is better!

I’m trying this recipe but without the garlic granules…
                  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/crispy-tofu

I’ve cut them to look like chips before rolling in the ‘flour’ - fingers crossed!
                  I’ll comeback to you on that

I’m a great believer in you can make most things taste delish if you know how to prepare and sympathetically cook it . Let’s see - according to that theory - how rubbish a cook I really am!

Last edited by Nicos; 22-10-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• I am a terror for buying tofu and bunging it in the freezer and conveniently forgetting about it... Disgraceful. Anyway, let us know how you get on, Nicos.

Gnocchi sound like a good idea, but in fact there isn't as much left as I thought. Just enough for a couple of mash patties, so it'll be those with a veggie burger and spinach for me, something other than spinach for Mr Snoop, as he cannot abide it.

Comment

• Our usual Saturday evening tagliatelle and bol.

I tried tofu just the once and wasn't impressed hope you get on better that we did with it, mind you I don't like halloumi either.
                      ​​​​​​
                      ​​
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Update… the shallow fried tofu was lovely and crunchy. More chewy than polenta - almost a spongy halloumi texture . No flavour that I could notice apart from the spices I mixed in with the cornflour.
                        I wouldn’t choose to buy it again as there are plenty of other things I prefer but OH enjoyed it . Would I eat it if offered me ? Yes, especially if the cook was used to preparing unusual dishes with it!

Snoop - what is your secret to a good tofu ?

Comment

• Slow cooker Pork goulash with Charlottes this evening for us.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I am really happy I decided to add onion rings to last night's meal. They lived up to my expectations. It's months since we've had any. Mr GF said he didn't fancy any. Fortunately I know him so well and ignored him and cooked extra as I knew that when he saw them he would want some. His first comment when they hit the table was, "Are all these for you.....or have you done a few extra?" It amazes me the price restaurants charge for a side dish of onion rings. Such cheap ingredients and so quick to make.

Tonight chicken. I think made into goujons with roast vegetables and couscous.

Comment

• My secret for a good tofu, Nicos, is not to cook it!

That said, I really should. Apparently it's better once frozen as it loses more water when it thaws and so is much firmer. I've also read that rolling cubes in cornflour before frying also helps to crisp it up and it's better added to sauces afterwards. Personally, I think rice flour might work better than cornflour. OK, now I've said that, I'm going to have to fish some out of the freezer and give it a try, aren't I?

Today: lemon cheesecake, rolls and two loaves of bread. One loaf to stay here for the freezer, the rest to go down the valley as friends there have invited us for lunch.

Doubt we'll want much for supper if anything. Cup of tea and a piece of toast if that. She used to be the sole chef in a small restaurant in northern Spain. She did absolutely everything herself. So when we go for lunch, we get the works - loads of lots of things. I once went round for lunch in their flat in a nearby town and she put three starters followed by three main courses on the table. Followed by two puddings. And she's a really, really good cook so it's hard to resist...

Comment

• Lamb with preserved lemons and roasted mixed veg with couscous and a spicy tomato sauce.

It started raining very soon after I decided to cut the grass….so I picked up the Pudding Club Book again and made a Pineapple and coconut Pudding
                                ( p86 if you have the book) Can’t find the same recipe on line- sorry.
                                Looks and smells yummy although I replaced the cherries with ginger. It’s going to need custard isn’t it?
                                Hope it tastes good!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X